Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread title is wanky, but to mildly defend the birth of the thread itself - from memory it did spring directly from one of those dickhead arguments in either EYKIW or the tour forum about U2 having something to do with someone hip-hop (HOW DARE THEY!) and that then turned into a dickhead argument about hip-hop itself. The anti-brigade were only naming charting awfulness, and others were starting to list the "forget the guns and clubs and bitches stuff, check *this* guy out" type of thing - arguing for the creativity in the music, politics in the lyrics etc - and this thread sprung directly from that turn in the conversation.

The thread title is wanky, but to mildly defend the birth of the thread itself - from memory it did spring directly from one of those dickhead arguments in either EYKIW or the tour forum about U2 having something to do with someone hip-hop (HOW DARE THEY!) and that then turned into a dickhead argument about hip-hop itself. The anti-brigade were only naming charting awfulness, and others were starting to list the "forget the guns and clubs and bitches stuff, check *this* guy out" type of thing - arguing for the creativity in the music, politics in the lyrics etc - and this thread sprung directly from that turn in the conversation.

I want to say it was one of the "eww...Kanye West is opening?? HOW COULD THEY BETRAY US SO" threads, but that doesn't fit chronologically. Maybe it was over the supposed Dr. Dre collaboration stuff that never got released.

Finally got around to Oneirology. Not what I was expecting. It's quite good, but not super awesome. The production is great, but I'm not a huge fan of the MCs, one of them sounds like Kid Cudi and the other one sounds a little like Tyler. Some great tracks though: Get Ignorant, Stars Shine, Dreams, Murder. And there is an Outkast sample at the end of Hard As They Come

‪CunninLynguists - "Hard As They Come (Act I)" feat. Freddie Gibbs [Produced by Kno]‬‏ - YouTube

It's from Babylon.

now that's hard
while we rantin and ravin bout gats
nigga they made them gats
they got some shit that'll blow out our backs
from where they stay

I was listening to ATLiens for most of the day before putting Oneirology on. How fucking awesome.

I have a list going in my head of all hip-hop albums from this year that make Goblin sound like tripe, and I always forget Oneirology. It's been a great year for hip-hop so far.

Sorry it didn't blow your mind immediately. It will.

Wugazi. 13 Chambers. Download that shit, Cobbler. (And Travis, if you haven't heard it already).

I think Talib Kweli's Gutter Rainbows is worth a listen, got some good tunes.

I'd never heard of Fugazi, but I will download that, liked that track you posted.

It's 36 Chambers and 13 Songs mashed together? I'd like to hear the latter first (I've only heard Repeater, which I liked a great deal).

yeah, this thread's title sucks. at least davec doesn't post here anymore, right? or in this part of the board, anyway. or as davec, and in that case he is not the irritating little kid he used to be as i can't recognize him under whatever new name he's going by. the nodding smiley face bugs me more than anything else, to be honest. and him i really don't care about.

I'd never heard of Fugazi,

in before someone else says it:

FRIGGIN' COBBLER.

I've heard of them, but I haven't the slightest clue what they even sound like. I always assumed they were a rap group, but I was looking into it last year, and I think I saw they weren't, but I can't remember what they are still now.

It's 36 Chambers and 13 Songs mashed together? I'd like to hear the latter first (I've only heard Repeater, which I liked a great deal).

It's actually not. Just a clever naming scheme. I think Rolling Stone did a breakdown of the songs used, but it's various Wu-Tang and Fugazi songs. Really, I'm pushing it not only because it's fantastic, but because it's a Doomtree-affiliated project, and they're Minneapolis-based and deserving of the attention.

Wu do tons of this shit. there's also a Beatles mashup record, and a Hendrix one too.

Wu has nothing to do with it. They're not affiliated with any of those projects. The fact that they're a seminal hip-hop group is the reason they're used in so many mashups. And, for the record, that Beatles one is shit, as well as the "indie" mixes that have been done with Wu's material. Haven't heard the Hendrix one though.

Um, Black Star is playing ...Are Black Star in full here at the House of Blues. I'm fucking going.

That's Mos Def & Talib Kweli yeah? F u :down:

onebloodonelife said:
Wu has nothing to do with it. They're not affiliated with any of those projects. The fact that they're a seminal hip-hop group is the reason they're used in so many mashups. And, for the record, that Beatles one is shit, as well as the "indie" mixes that have been done with Wu's material. Haven't heard the Hendrix one though.

Oh? I had no idea.

So, does Lil B suck? I mean, is he supposed to be awful? Is that the point?

I'm listening to I'm Gay (I'm Happy) and I can tell that he's a total amateur, unremarkable flow meeting fairly typical beats and yet...I absolutely love this. The lyrics are so damn charming and the beats suit the subject matter (as well as his flow) so well that I can get past the fact that it isn't some DJ Premier-level shit. I liked the Slant review that compared Lil B to Ariel Pink...he doesn't seem to have much interest in presenting himself in any specific way, but his passion for his art overwhelms any deficiency in skill.

Oh, and for the record, as much as I despise Odd Future and the hollow, contrived crap they are passing off as "radical" and "iconoclastic," I can't deny that their contributions to hip-hop are a major part of what has made this among the more exciting years for the genre in quite some time. Hip-hop takes itself far too fucking seriously, and for a genre that had started to see a lot of the same faces retain the limelight in lieu of fresh faces, it's very refreshing that admittedly unskilled yet charming individuals like Lil B (and the less charming but certainly more skilled Odd Future, specifically Earl, who seriously needs to be freed soon) get some time in the limelight, and even make some decent music. While I'm not alright with shock taking precedence over quality, if the current controversies of these acts afford them the time to create works of art that receive the attention they deserve (and, in doing so, reflect positively on the genre as a whole) then I'm all for it.

And let's not forget that quality hip-hop has been prevalent this year also, from artists not quite as youthful but just as fresh and passionate as their slightly more fringe contemporaries: Big KRIT and Curren$y released two of my favorite records of the year. The fact that Oneirology is even better than those is simply icing on the cake. I'm feeling as if something really thrilling is stirring in hip-hop, but a lot of bullshit is obscuring the big picture: fresh MCs and producers are beginning to file in, and they have talent. This can only be a good thing. If there's some backlash over them now, fuck it, I'm based.

I don't get why people love Yonkers so much. I like it, but it doesn't go anywhere and the "chorus" is ordinary.

She is my favourite track by miles and miles.

BY THE WAY

Wu-Tang-Legendary-Weapons.jpg

How has this not been even remotely discussed? I haven't heard it yet but I hear it's decent.

Matter of fact bring out the girls and let's have a mud fight

I hate Lil B with every fiber in my body. If I hear "Swag, WOO" one more fucking time, I will stab someone in the eye.

There are people with far more talent who don't take themselves seriously in hip-hop. Even Mac Miller (who I generally despise) is more skilled than Lil B and is by no means "too serious" for his own good.

Also, Travis, LISTEN TO NUJABES. The fact that nobody responded to my comment about him awhile back indicates that you guys don't listen to him. And, you should. If J Dilla blows your mind, Nujabes will explode it into the next galaxy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fTGuW9tc_c

‪Nujabes - luv (sic.) pt 3 [ft.shing02]‬‏ - YouTube

Re: Yonkers, I don't hold in the absurdly high esteem that most seem to, and to be honest, if no one had pointed it out to me as a standout, I never would have paid it the attention that I still unconsciously do. It's decent though, specifically in the lyrical department. Tyler's beats always suck.

Re: Nujabes, I'm on my phone, so I can't watch the videos, but your recommendations have never led me astray, so I'll hit that up later. J Dilla was one of the best things to happen to hip-hop in the past decade, so the comparison is high praise.

I have only heard one Nas album in full: Illmatic. And I have heard that one many, many times. I think I'm ready to proceed; where should I go from here?

For the record, I have partaken of some Nastradamus tracks, purely for laughs. And oh boy did I ever laugh my ass off. SHOOT 'EM UP, YEAH, SHOOT 'EM UP, WHAAT?! KILL KILL KILL, MURDA MURDA MURDA!

Me too, Cass will know but I've heard Stillmatic is good.

1. Aquemini
2. 36 Chambers
3. Illmatic

My top three. Pretty :yawn: but classics are classics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom