Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, by no means, much as I dig those early tracks. Paul's Boutique is definitely their finest hour; it's a brilliant labyrinth of samples that functions as both an impressive work of art and a great game of guess-the-song. Not to mention it's funky as all hell. I'm not going to say it changed hip-hop, but it was the apex of sampling, which was never as legally kosher after its release...a very special album for a special period of time, yet it still sounds great. But, for all the history that surrounds it, the important part is this: I don't know if I ever have more fun listening to hip-hop than I do listening to Paul's Boutique.

Listening to Hot Sauce Committee now. This is everything I could have hoped for from them at this point. GREAT old school sound.

Listening to Hot Sauce Committee now. This is everything I could have hoped for from them at this point. GREAT old school sound.

I really like how they seemed to include songs that cover most every type of period they had in the past. It's sorta like All That You Can't Leave Behind or Atom Bomb, except enjoyable. Heyo! :wink:

Lee Majors Come Again is pretty much the perfect Beastie Boys punk song. Loved the whole album.

:wave:

I'm still lurking occasionally, but have been logging more time at atease, it being new albums/leaks season. Practically every week in April-June has one or two new releases I've been anticipating.

On topic: glad to hear you're enjoying 36 Chambers! Damn near flawless album. LM posted a nice list of essential solo joints for advanced study. I was excited to see 'Blackout!' was included; that's a sorely underrated bit of late 90s hip hop there.

And while nothing can match the debut, 'Wu-Tang Forever' is fantastic as well. The production is more polished/less grimy, but RZA is still on point, and just about every MC brings his A-game here. Hell, drop a few of the lesser tracks (Papa Wu's 5% intro lecture, the lame outro, U-God's wack-ass solo song) and I'd say it's nearly on par with 36 Chambers.

Actually, the reason for my lurking was to see people's thoughts on 'Goblin.' I think OneBlood was the big OF backer around here.

For me, 'Goblin' is almost perfectly mediocre. 5 great tracks, 5 meh tracks, and 5 awful tracks (interestingly, two non-album tracks, "Burger" and "Steak Sauce," are better than the majority of the album tracks).

For a long time, I was not buying into the Odd Future hype, but 'Yonkers' made me believe there was some potential. Unfortunately, that's the best song on the album (still, killer tune). What's kind of maddening is how the album doesn't live up to the promise of 'Yonkers' and the (admittedly awesome looking) live clips I've seen.

I have to admit that I still haven't listened to Goblin. :reject: I've heard "Tron Cat" once, because it leaked a tad early and enjoyed it, but I wasn't blown away.

But, on a more exciting OF note, I purchased tickets for Sunday's Pitchfork Music Festival and am fucking stoked to see them in the flesh.

Nice! Kinda bummed I missed seeing them a couple of months back at a small club blocks away from where I live.
Who is else is playing that day at Pitchfork?

Nice! Kinda bummed I missed seeing them a couple of months back at a small club blocks away from where I live.
Who is else is playing that day at Pitchfork?

Oh, I bet that would've been a kickass show!

TV on the Radio is the other big draw for me at Pitchfork. I was supposed to see them in Minneapolis a couple weeks ago, but Gerard Smith passed away, so they understandably canceled.

Then, Cut Copy (who I've seen on this tour and are fantastic), Deerhunter, Superchunk, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, HEALTH, Kurt Vile, Yuck, The Fresh and Onlys, Toro y Moi, Baths (both Toro and Baths are great live too), Kylesa, Shabazz Palaces, Twin Sister, How to Dress Well, and Darkstar.

It's a solid lineup. Lots of bands I've never heard and several that I'm excited to see.

:wave:

I'm still lurking occasionally, but have been logging more time at atease, it being new albums/leaks season. Practically every week in April-June has one or two new releases I've been anticipating.

On topic: glad to hear you're enjoying 36 Chambers! Damn near flawless album. LM posted a nice list of essential solo joints for advanced study. I was excited to see 'Blackout!' was included; that's a sorely underrated bit of late 90s hip hop there.

And while nothing can match the debut, 'Wu-Tang Forever' is fantastic as well. The production is more polished/less grimy, but RZA is still on point, and just about every MC brings his A-game here. Hell, drop a few of the lesser tracks (Papa Wu's 5% intro lecture, the lame outro, U-God's wack-ass solo song) and I'd say it's nearly on par with 36 Chambers.

:up: I was pretty damn impressed by 36 Chambers, I'll definitely work my way through LM's list. And the more hip hop fans on here the better :wink:

Here's another taste of what's to come from Detox (surely, SURELY this will be the year??):

YouTube - Dr. Dre Feat. Eminem - Die Hard (Preview) (Detox) (2011)

WuTangVsShaolin.jpg

onebloodonelife said:
I have to admit that I still haven't listened to Goblin. :reject: I've heard "Tron Cat" once, because it leaked a tad early and enjoyed it, but I wasn't blown away.

But, on a more exciting OF note, I purchased tickets for Sunday's Pitchfork Music Festival and am fucking stoked to see them in the flesh.

So the LeMel and I will be seeing you then? :wink:

We've no tickets yet. Saturday we plan on attending no matter what, but depending on our financial situation when the time comes, we'll likely be attending all three days. Especially if I can find a deal on them like I did last year (got two tix for the price of one)

I'm dismayed at the lack of Real Niggaz Don't Die. my favourite NWA beat.
:love: Cobbler, I heart you. No homo.

Massively underrated tune, and one of Dre's hardest beats ever. This song makes me want to punch a complete stranger in the face.

On the whole, I think 'Elif4zaggin' deserves more love. In terms of pure nihilism, it rivals anything by Odd Future. And Dre's production is top notch; it's a quantum leap from 'Straight Outta Compton,' and a lot of the songs have the proto G-funk sound that would come out in full on 'The Chronic.' It's a vital and often overlooked link in his evolution as a producer.

:love: Cobbler, I heart you. No homo.

Massively underrated tune, and one of Dre's hardest beats ever. This song makes me want to punch a complete stranger in the face.

On the whole, I think 'Elif4zaggin' deserves more love. In terms of pure nihilism, it rivals anything by Odd Future. And Dre's production is top notch; it's a quantum leap from 'Straight Outta Compton,' and a lot of the songs have the proto G-funk sound that would come out in full on 'The Chronic.' It's a vital and often overlooked link in his evolution as a producer.

:hi5: I actually haven't heard the album, but fuck me dead I love that song. It was one of the first gangsta rap songs I ever heard, when I was about 15, and so I was a bit disappointed when I eventually realised that all gangsta rap didn't have beats that hard.

Dre's verse is a fucking monster. "I got a case / of spittin' in a muthafucka's face / so me and my ace we got a taste / of a muthafucka's billy club / he took his gun and / put it to my head said nigga start runnin'"

Well The Chronic is amazing. Doesn't sound dated at all. I can't believe I used to consider myself a big hip hop fan, I hadn't heard anything, barely.

Great tracks: Fuck Wit Dre Day, G Thang, Deez Nuts, Stranded on Death Row, Bitches Ain't Shit (great title).
Strangely enough, one of my favorite tracks is the intro by Snoop. I can still recite it by memory. The bit at the end kills me every time.

Nice to remember a time when Snoop was a hungry MC with a killer flow. He built a career out of this & Doggystyle and has just coasted ever since with absolutely nothing new to say.

Lineup for this year's Rock the Bells has been announced, or as I like to call it, 'Holy Shit, 1995 was an Amazing Year for Hip-Hop!'

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Gza - Liquid Swords

Insane lineup top to bottom. And the presence of Curren$y, Krit, and Freddie Gibbs makes it not just a nostalgia fest.

Wu-Tang tour rumours are growing stronger for Oz, August, Ghostface Killah was on radio saying "we'll be there". He named everyone but my man RZA as likely to come :(

What do y'all think of 2001 Chronic? It's got a lot of really great songs (Still D.R.E., Next Episode, Forgot About Dre, Big Egos, What's the Difference) but I think 92 is probably more consistent (and has better guests). I guess it really comes down to which production you prefer.

2001 is great; it's pretty much the massively budgeted sequel it's creator intended it to be. I think it's excellent production-wise, and really the endpoint of Dre's evolution as a producer over the previous decade. He spent the next decade just coasting and being lazy and not making 'Detox,' hip hop's very own 'Chinese Democracy.'

What's interesting is that other than Snoop, the rapping on both of these ranges from ok to terrible. Dre has always been a mediocre MC at best. The other rappers are just complete scrubs, and they're pretty interchangeable. In fact, Dre pretty much did that; I think the only returning cast members beside Dre are Snoop and the late, great Nate Dogg. But yeah, the raps by Lady of Rage, Daz, Kokane, and Mel Man pretty much explain why you never heard of these guys again. 2001 has the advantage of Eminem in his absolute prime, but he only appears on two (of admittedly the best) tracks.

I also give the nod to the original Chronic, for the aforementioned consistency, and also for being the apotheosis of Dre's G-funk sound. Snoop is in peak form here, and he's on over half of the tracks. I almost think it's as much a Snoop album as it is a Dre album.

:up: :up:

Although I must be in the minority, I actually reckon Dre's a pretty awesome MC. Love him on Forgot About Dre for instance. I hope Detox comes out this year but I don't have high hopes for it because Akon is one of the many things wrong with music today (Pitbull being #1) and Eminem sounds like rubbish these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom