Hip-Hop Purists - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #511
Refugee

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
The front cover alone made me livid. Oh look, I get to sit around and smoke weed and have sex with beautiful women, but fuck, my life sucks so much.
And yet I love '808s + Heartbreak.' I guess actual artistry makes all the difference.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #512
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:59 AM
Right now I'm listening to a leak of "Lighters" from the Bad Meets Evil "Hell:The Sequel" EP. Bruno Mars is on this track along with Eminem and Royce Da 5'9". I like it. I like it A LOT. Long-time Em fans might bitch that it's a softer, more commercial sound than the early Slim Shady days, but I like it.

Bono has been quoted as saying something about hip-hop having more energy than rock, and these days, I know what he means. After decades of listening to rock, it's good to listen to a genre that sounds fresh and new to me.

I wish I had the money to get to one of the festivals where Eminem is playing; I'd rather see him for the first time than see U2 for the 11th time playing basically a greatest hits show. "Recovery" has joined "London Calling" and "Achtung Baby" as one of my favorite albums of all time. And it's fun to see Eminem fans get as excited about leaks of the upcoming EP as U2 fans get when we hear new music from Bono and his buds.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #513
45:33

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post
And yet I love '808s + Heartbreak.' I guess actual artistry makes all the difference.
I never listened to that album because I hated Love Lockdown passionately.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #514
The Male

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04

I never listened to that album because I hated Love Lockdown passionately.
Really? Great track. The outro is an excellent example of the 808 drums Kanye uses regularly on the album.

Now.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #515
Refugee

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Really? Great track. The outro is an excellent example of the 808 drums Kanye uses regularly on the album.
Agree. Couldn't recommend the rest of the album if you didn't like that, the sound is pretty uniform throughout.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #516

Speaking of Eminem again, he absolutely destroys Jay-Z on this track (and I think Jigga is great on this song!), one of my favourite hip-hop tunes.

YouTube - ‪Renegade Jay Z & Eminem‬‏

My love for Jay-Z has tempered slightly since the U2 shows (he's still far and away the best live hip hop act I've seen - and that was with an understandably apathetic crowd. but Big Boi will change that). I don't enjoy him in large doses like I do my favourites.

And if you think his verse on Monster is "limp-dick" as Impy once put it, check him out no this track:

YouTube - ‪Jay-z - Momma Loves Me‬‏

Absolute rubbish start to the first verse.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #517
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Speaking of Eminem again, he absolutely destroys Jay-Z on this track (and I think Jigga is great on this song!), one of my favourite hip-hop tunes.

YouTube - ‪Renegade Jay Z & Eminem‬‏
-____-

I've been saying that for fucking ever, dude!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #518

I know but you didn't bring it up a few pages back, so I thought I'd get in first
Old 06-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #519

Ever wondered what it would be like if an in-form Nas rapped over the beat from Losing My Edge?

Wonder no more.

YouTube - ‪Nas - Nasty (New Music July 2011)‬‏

Seriously though, it's a pretty decent rap.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #520
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post
Actually, the reason for my lurking was to see people's thoughts on 'Goblin.' I think OneBlood was the big OF backer around here.

For me, 'Goblin' is almost perfectly mediocre. 5 great tracks, 5 meh tracks, and 5 awful tracks (interestingly, two non-album tracks, "Burger" and "Steak Sauce," are better than the majority of the album tracks).

For a long time, I was not buying into the Odd Future hype, but 'Yonkers' made me believe there was some potential. Unfortunately, that's the best song on the album (still, killer tune). What's kind of maddening is how the album doesn't live up to the promise of 'Yonkers' and the (admittedly awesome looking) live clips I've seen.
Agreed. I really wanted to like it, but not even Tyler's remarkably strong, charismatic persona could push this weak material over the top. The lyrics are the element that will be endlessly dissected, and they just aren't worth the effort: I'm not offended by them in the slightest, but there's only so far one can expound on "fuck you," and by track 5 or so, the album seems the devolve into some knockoff Eminem shit I couldn't care less about. However, the title track is meta genius, Yonkers is obviously good, and the beats throughout are atmospheric as hell. Not great, mind, but they give the record's running story a distinct mood.

Overall, it's a creative record, but I'm not sure there's much depth beyond Tyler's surface. The punchlines aren't anything special either, so I don't find much of this album particularly funny. I'm not sure what use this album has...especially since Kanye's Twisted Fantasy, which is similarly naked and borderline frightening, has true artistry and weight behind it. He has a long way to go if he's going to be more than the l'enfant terrible of alternative hip-hop, and that label does not age well. Also, please cut the fucking banal disclaimers. You're either fucked in the head or you're not: don't ruin the illusion.

If you want to wallow in filth that's musically far ahead of anything here, check out House of Balloons by the Weeknd. Dark as fuck, unsettling, and also quite catchy. Excellent R&B.

Now.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #521

I've soured on it a bit. She & Nightmare are the best tracks, Yonkers & Sandwitches are great, and Goblin, Her, Tron Cat and the instrumental are decent.

Pitchfork were raving yesterday about an album by some bloke from NY who supposedly sounds a lot like Ghostface Killah. 8.1. I'm gonna check it out
Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #522
The Male

Cobbler, have you listened to Big KRIT's ReturnOf4Eva yet? He makes one hell of a hook out of 4eva? 4evaeva?? 4EVAEVA???, and the album gives me some early 'Kast vibes in general. It's far too long, but there aren't any crap tracks, and it seems right in your wheelhouse.

YouTube - ‪Big K.R.I.T. - Dreamin | Returnof4eva.com‬‏

Also, let me know if Dr. Lecter is any good. Seemed cool, but you can only listen to so much.

Now.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #523
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 09:59 AM
For some reason the title of this thread bugs me each and every time it's bumped.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #524
Blue Crack Addict

Well, I mean, looking at who started the thread, it's a lot more understandable.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #525
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
For some reason the title of this thread bugs me each and every time it's bumped.
Same here.

Tags
hip hop