Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Though MMLP2 isn't out yet, I'm pretty confident saying this is the worst song I've heard this year:

Kid Cudi 'Girls' [Official Audio] - YouTube

1. Laughable production

2. Fatass 47 year old Too $hort rapping about fucking bitches

3. Iseeprettygirlseverywhereigoeveryeverywhereigo Iseeprettygirlseverywhereigoeveryeverywhereigo Iseeprettygirlseverywhereigoeveryeverywhereigo
Iseeprettygirlseverywhereigoeveryeverywhereigo Iseeprettygirlseverywhereigoeveryeverywhereigo Iseeprettygirlseverywhereigoeveryeverywhereigo

4. Bitch!

This is the sequel to Marshall Mathers LP.

Outsidetray-630x548.jpg

-Berzerk and Survival already suck
-Hilarious features
-There's a song called Love Game on it

Noooooooooooooooooooooo :no: :no:

Is 'Asshole' a Denis Leary cover?? :hmm:

What's the bet Kendrick's verse is by light years the best thing on it?

Not long to go, folks. Wonder if we'll see DaveC before his thread dies.

Just saw Kid Cudi live in Miami on October 8th. The guy puts on one hell of a show. Also, his man on the moon albums are really good.

He was disappointing when I saw him at a festival a few years back. Was in a real depressed mood, and played a bunch of moody unreleased tracks that weren't suited to a festival.

I love that he looks like he's been hit by a truck and then backed over about 30 times and talks like he flunked out of elementary school, yet he still pops Givenchy tags and owns Bengal cats while dropping thoughtful jams. What a dude.

Throughout the years, African Americans have been portrayed in some pretty negative ways. Just reflect on some of the stereotypical images that were around in the mid- 1800s to 1900s.

And while most of us look back on those old stereotypes with utter disdain, how many of us realize that there are new stereotypes out there that are much worse than the old?

Rap / hip-hop music, videos, magazines and so on, portray African Americans as being violence-prone, criminal, promiscuous and stupid. Not only do they attempt to define us in this image, but, even worse, they blatantly promote, glamorize, and glorify this type of behavior.

Most people are attracted to rap / hip-hop music initially because of the music, not the words and images associated with it.

The problem with rap / hip-hop isn’t really the music. Music is a good thing. Rap / hip-hop music, rock music, soul music, jazz, classical… It’s all good.

The problem is the words and images that are woven into them. And in the case of rap / hip-hop we all are quite aware of what those words and images are: glorification of
criminal behavior, promiscuity, drugs, and images consisting of the most ugly, most degrading black stereotypes.

The words and images are fused so tightly with the music that it seems like one entity. You hear the music and it conjures up the negative images in your mind, in a Pavlov’s dog kind of way.

Without a doubt, not all rap / hip-hop music is like that. There are artists out there who have very positive messages in their music. This is not to say that all music must have a so-called “positive” message. Music doesn’t have to have a message at all, but it definitely shouldn’t have a negative message.

And the problem isn’t really that some rap / hip-hop music contains negative messages (negative is putting it mildly).

The problem is that most rap / hip-hop that is promoted by the big music companies contains negative messages...

Yes, non-destructive rap / hip-hop is out there, but that’s not what the big boys have chosen to promote. The negative, degrading, corrupting variety is what they are filling our airwaves with. And make no mistake about it: the big boys are the ones calling the shots, not the rappers.

Now some might say that all the bad stuff in it is what makes it so good, so original, so diverse, so creative, so cutting-edge.

In reality, the entertainment industry is selling us immorality disguised as creativity.

Vulgarity masquerading as originality.

Cultural degeneracy posing as cultural diversity.

Degrading stereotypes packaged as cutting edge.

Poison labeled as spice.

Originality, creativity, diversity, cutting edge are all very good things, and we need much more of it. But these very positive and wonderful things have nothing to do with those other things.

Good food is one thing; poison is another.

If I wanted to kill you, I might have a hard time trying to get you to eat a plate of pure rat poison. But if I laced your favorite food with it, you’d wolf it down and never know what hit you.

Let’s keep the good food and lose the poison.

Throughout the years, African Americans have been portrayed in some pretty negative ways. Just reflect on some of the stereotypical images that were around in the mid- 1800s to 1900s.

And while most of us look back on those old stereotypes with utter disdain, how many of us realize that there are new stereotypes out there that are much worse than the old?

Rap / hip-hop music, videos, magazines and so on, portray African Americans as being violence-prone, criminal, promiscuous and stupid. Not only do they attempt to define us in this image, but, even worse, they blatantly promote, glamorize, and glorify this type of behavior.

Most people are attracted to rap / hip-hop music initially because of the music, not the words and images associated with it.

The problem with rap / hip-hop isn’t really the music. Music is a good thing. Rap / hip-hop music, rock music, soul music, jazz, classical… It’s all good.

The problem is the words and images that are woven into them. And in the case of rap / hip-hop we all are quite aware of what those words and images are: glorification of
criminal behavior, promiscuity, drugs, and images consisting of the most ugly, most degrading black stereotypes.

The words and images are fused so tightly with the music that it seems like one entity. You hear the music and it conjures up the negative images in your mind, in a Pavlov’s dog kind of way.

Without a doubt, not all rap / hip-hop music is like that. There are artists out there who have very positive messages in their music. This is not to say that all music must have a so-called “positive” message. Music doesn’t have to have a message at all, but it definitely shouldn’t have a negative message.

And the problem isn’t really that some rap / hip-hop music contains negative messages (negative is putting it mildly).

The problem is that most rap / hip-hop that is promoted by the big music companies contains negative messages...

Yes, non-destructive rap / hip-hop is out there, but that’s not what the big boys have chosen to promote. The negative, degrading, corrupting variety is what they are filling our airwaves with. And make no mistake about it: the big boys are the ones calling the shots, not the rappers.

Now some might say that all the bad stuff in it is what makes it so good, so original, so diverse, so creative, so cutting-edge.

In reality, the entertainment industry is selling us immorality disguised as creativity.

Vulgarity masquerading as originality.

Cultural degeneracy posing as cultural diversity.

Degrading stereotypes packaged as cutting edge.

Poison labeled as spice.

Originality, creativity, diversity, cutting edge are all very good things, and we need much more of it. But these very positive and wonderful things have nothing to do with those other things.

Good food is one thing; poison is another.

If I wanted to kill you, I might have a hard time trying to get you to eat a plate of pure rat poison. But if I laced your favorite food with it, you’d wolf it down and never know what hit you.

Let’s keep the good food and lose the poison.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0974071005

I guess you forgot to attribute other's words to the proper author. It's ok. I got your back.

I like him. He makes my general dislike of the genre look more informed and rational.

Except of course that to dismiss an entire genre based on the examples paraded at the front of the mainstream is neither informed or rational.

Which is why we all didn't give up on rock. Eventually the sex drugs and rock n roll phase of rap will stop selling as well as it does and things will even out a bit. There's still plenty - plenty - of good stuff out there to listen to and not totally throw the baby out with the bath water.

Last night I had an awesome dream that I was hanging out with a bunch of rappers, we were all swinging on monkey bars, it was so cramped. I found a Madvillain mask and tried to rap Accordion a capella as I was swinging down the monkey bars, but I stuffed it up. Once I eventually got to the end we all rapped the entire song a capella. My brother looked really jealous. Weirdly there was no sign of DOOM, but Jigga and Mos Def were there. Mos Def makes sense, cos he covered it live, but not Jigga.

I like him. He makes my general dislike of the genre look more informed and rational.

:lol: :up:

Except of course that to dismiss an entire genre based on the examples paraded at the front of the mainstream is neither informed or rational.

Which is why we all didn't give up on rock. Eventually the sex drugs and rock n roll phase of rap will stop selling as well as it does and things will even out a bit. There's still plenty - plenty - of good stuff out there to listen to and not totally throw the baby out with the bath water.

Except that it's a general dislike. That means there are exceptions. Few, but I am aware that there is hip hop out there that I am capable of liking. I've just heard very little, especially compared to what I don't like.

Except that it's a general dislike. That means there are exceptions. Few, but I am aware that there is hip hop out there that I am capable of liking. I've just heard very little, especially compared to what I don't like.

I actually have to apologize for misreading you initially. You are right: stacked up against the irrational and uninformed total dismissal of it entirely, your mild general dislike does seem way more rational, and it seems you've given and/or would give some of it a chance, which makes it also seem somewhat informed. My bad.

Last night I had an awesome dream that I was hanging out with a bunch of rappers, we were all swinging on monkey bars, it was so cramped. I found a Madvillain mask and tried to rap Accordion a capella as I was swinging down the monkey bars, but I stuffed it up. Once I eventually got to the end we all rapped the entire song a capella. My brother looked really jealous. Weirdly there was no sign of DOOM, but Jigga and Mos Def were there. Mos Def makes sense, cos he covered it live, but not Jigga.

:lol: :up:

The fact that you call monkey bars the same thing we do blew my mind, for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom