Hip-Hop Purists - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #466
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:15 PM
You'll be there Sunday?!?

Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #467
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:15 PM
We've no tickets yet. Saturday we plan on attending no matter what, but depending on our financial situation when the time comes, we'll likely be attending all three days. Especially if I can find a deal on them like I did last year (got two tix for the price of one)

Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #468
Refugee

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'm dismayed at the lack of Real Niggaz Don't Die. my favourite NWA beat.
Cobbler, I heart you. No homo.

Massively underrated tune, and one of Dre's hardest beats ever. This song makes me want to punch a complete stranger in the face.

On the whole, I think 'Elif4zaggin' deserves more love. In terms of pure nihilism, it rivals anything by Odd Future. And Dre's production is top notch; it's a quantum leap from 'Straight Outta Compton,' and a lot of the songs have the proto G-funk sound that would come out in full on 'The Chronic.' It's a vital and often overlooked link in his evolution as a producer.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #469
Refugee

This is why I love Fox News

Sean Hannity was outraged, OUTRAGED!, that Michelle Obama invited Common to the White House. Fox News even made a logo for this breaking controversy!

Really? Common?? Could there be a less offensive rapper?

As usual, The Daily Show puts it all in perspective
Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #470
45:33

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post
Cobbler, I heart you. No homo.

Massively underrated tune, and one of Dre's hardest beats ever. This song makes me want to punch a complete stranger in the face.

On the whole, I think 'Elif4zaggin' deserves more love. In terms of pure nihilism, it rivals anything by Odd Future. And Dre's production is top notch; it's a quantum leap from 'Straight Outta Compton,' and a lot of the songs have the proto G-funk sound that would come out in full on 'The Chronic.' It's a vital and often overlooked link in his evolution as a producer.
I actually haven't heard the album, but fuck me dead I love that song. It was one of the first gangsta rap songs I ever heard, when I was about 15, and so I was a bit disappointed when I eventually realised that all gangsta rap didn't have beats that hard.

Dre's verse is a fucking monster. "I got a case / of spittin' in a muthafucka's face / so me and my ace we got a taste / of a muthafucka's billy club / he took his gun and / put it to my head said nigga start runnin'"
Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #471

Well The Chronic is amazing. Doesn't sound dated at all. I can't believe I used to consider myself a big hip hop fan, I hadn't heard anything, barely.

Great tracks: Fuck Wit Dre Day, G Thang, Deez Nuts, Stranded on Death Row, Bitches Ain't Shit (great title).

And this track is fucking sick!:

Old 05-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #472
The Male

Quote:
I can't believe I used to consider myself a big hip hop fan, I hadn't heard anything, barely.
I would be amused if you came to hate the genre as you heard more.

Now.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #473
Refugee

Quote:
Well The Chronic is amazing. Doesn't sound dated at all. I can't believe I used to consider myself a big hip hop fan, I hadn't heard anything, barely.

Great tracks: Fuck Wit Dre Day, G Thang, Deez Nuts, Stranded on Death Row, Bitches Ain't Shit (great title).
Strangely enough, one of my favorite tracks is the intro by Snoop. I can still recite it by memory. The bit at the end kills me every time.

Nice to remember a time when Snoop was a hungry MC with a killer flow. He built a career out of this & Doggystyle and has just coasted ever since with absolutely nothing new to say.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #474
Refugee

Lineup for this year's Rock the Bells has been announced, or as I like to call it, 'Holy Shit, 1995 was an Amazing Year for Hip-Hop!'

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Gza - Liquid Swords

Insane lineup top to bottom. And the presence of Curren$y, Krit, and Freddie Gibbs makes it not just a nostalgia fest.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #475
The Male

Uh, holy fucking crap. Lauryn Hill and Blu + Exile will be there too? Ridiculous.

Now.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #476

Wu-Tang tour rumours are growing stronger for Oz, August, Ghostface Killah was on radio saying "we'll be there". He named everyone but my man RZA as likely to come
Old 05-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #477

Goblin debuted at #5 in the states... this is bringing back memories of the outrage Shady caused when he was actually good.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:51 AM   #478

What do y'all think of 2001 Chronic? It's got a lot of really great songs (Still D.R.E., Next Episode, Forgot About Dre, Big Egos, What's the Difference) but I think 92 is probably more consistent (and has better guests). I guess it really comes down to which production you prefer.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #479
Refugee

2001 is great; it's pretty much the massively budgeted sequel it's creator intended it to be. I think it's excellent production-wise, and really the endpoint of Dre's evolution as a producer over the previous decade. He spent the next decade just coasting and being lazy and not making 'Detox,' hip hop's very own 'Chinese Democracy.'

What's interesting is that other than Snoop, the rapping on both of these ranges from ok to terrible. Dre has always been a mediocre MC at best. The other rappers are just complete scrubs, and they're pretty interchangeable. In fact, Dre pretty much did that; I think the only returning cast members beside Dre are Snoop and the late, great Nate Dogg. But yeah, the raps by Lady of Rage, Daz, Kokane, and Mel Man pretty much explain why you never heard of these guys again. 2001 has the advantage of Eminem in his absolute prime, but he only appears on two (of admittedly the best) tracks.

I also give the nod to the original Chronic, for the aforementioned consistency, and also for being the apotheosis of Dre's G-funk sound. Snoop is in peak form here, and he's on over half of the tracks. I almost think it's as much a Snoop album as it is a Dre album.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #480

Although I must be in the minority, I actually reckon Dre's a pretty awesome MC. Love him on Forgot About Dre for instance. I hope Detox comes out this year but I don't have high hopes for it because Akon is one of the many things wrong with music today (Pitbull being #1) and Eminem sounds like rubbish these days.

Tags
hip hop