Hip-Hop Purists - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #451
The Male

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Fact: their new one will be the first Beastie Boys album I've heard.
Wow, listen to Paul's Boutique, right now. There are few albums you would be better off hearing as it is.

Now.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #452
45:33

Local Time: 09:23 AM
I thought Licensed to Ill was their "magnum opus"?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #453
The Male

Oh, by no means, much as I dig those early tracks. Paul's Boutique is definitely their finest hour; it's a brilliant labyrinth of samples that functions as both an impressive work of art and a great game of guess-the-song. Not to mention it's funky as all hell. I'm not going to say it changed hip-hop, but it was the apex of sampling, which was never as legally kosher after its release...a very special album for a special period of time, yet it still sounds great. But, for all the history that surrounds it, the important part is this: I don't know if I ever have more fun listening to hip-hop than I do listening to Paul's Boutique.

Listening to Hot Sauce Committee now. This is everything I could have hoped for from them at this point. GREAT old school sound.

Now.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #454
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Listening to Hot Sauce Committee now. This is everything I could have hoped for from them at this point. GREAT old school sound.
I really like how they seemed to include songs that cover most every type of period they had in the past. It's sorta like All That You Can't Leave Behind or Atom Bomb, except enjoyable. Heyo!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #455
The Male

Lee Majors Come Again is pretty much the perfect Beastie Boys punk song. Loved the whole album.

Now.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #456

where's bollox? i was hoping he'd stick around.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #457
Refugee

Local Time: 10:23 PM

I'm still lurking occasionally, but have been logging more time at atease, it being new albums/leaks season. Practically every week in April-June has one or two new releases I've been anticipating.

On topic: glad to hear you're enjoying 36 Chambers! Damn near flawless album. LM posted a nice list of essential solo joints for advanced study. I was excited to see 'Blackout!' was included; that's a sorely underrated bit of late 90s hip hop there.

And while nothing can match the debut, 'Wu-Tang Forever' is fantastic as well. The production is more polished/less grimy, but RZA is still on point, and just about every MC brings his A-game here. Hell, drop a few of the lesser tracks (Papa Wu's 5% intro lecture, the lame outro, U-God's wack-ass solo song) and I'd say it's nearly on par with 36 Chambers.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #458
Refugee

Actually, the reason for my lurking was to see people's thoughts on 'Goblin.' I think OneBlood was the big OF backer around here.

For me, 'Goblin' is almost perfectly mediocre. 5 great tracks, 5 meh tracks, and 5 awful tracks (interestingly, two non-album tracks, "Burger" and "Steak Sauce," are better than the majority of the album tracks).

For a long time, I was not buying into the Odd Future hype, but 'Yonkers' made me believe there was some potential. Unfortunately, that's the best song on the album (still, killer tune). What's kind of maddening is how the album doesn't live up to the promise of 'Yonkers' and the (admittedly awesome looking) live clips I've seen.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #459
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 PM
I have to admit that I still haven't listened to Goblin. I've heard "Tron Cat" once, because it leaked a tad early and enjoyed it, but I wasn't blown away.

But, on a more exciting OF note, I purchased tickets for Sunday's Pitchfork Music Festival and am fucking stoked to see them in the flesh.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #460
Refugee

Nice! Kinda bummed I missed seeing them a couple of months back at a small club blocks away from where I live.
Who is else is playing that day at Pitchfork?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #461
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post
Nice! Kinda bummed I missed seeing them a couple of months back at a small club blocks away from where I live.
Who is else is playing that day at Pitchfork?
Oh, I bet that would've been a kickass show!

TV on the Radio is the other big draw for me at Pitchfork. I was supposed to see them in Minneapolis a couple weeks ago, but Gerard Smith passed away, so they understandably canceled.

Then, Cut Copy (who I've seen on this tour and are fantastic), Deerhunter, Superchunk, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, HEALTH, Kurt Vile, Yuck, The Fresh and Onlys, Toro y Moi, Baths (both Toro and Baths are great live too), Kylesa, Shabazz Palaces, Twin Sister, How to Dress Well, and Darkstar.

It's a solid lineup. Lots of bands I've never heard and several that I'm excited to see.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post

I'm still lurking occasionally, but have been logging more time at atease, it being new albums/leaks season. Practically every week in April-June has one or two new releases I've been anticipating.

On topic: glad to hear you're enjoying 36 Chambers! Damn near flawless album. LM posted a nice list of essential solo joints for advanced study. I was excited to see 'Blackout!' was included; that's a sorely underrated bit of late 90s hip hop there.

And while nothing can match the debut, 'Wu-Tang Forever' is fantastic as well. The production is more polished/less grimy, but RZA is still on point, and just about every MC brings his A-game here. Hell, drop a few of the lesser tracks (Papa Wu's 5% intro lecture, the lame outro, U-God's wack-ass solo song) and I'd say it's nearly on par with 36 Chambers.
I was pretty damn impressed by 36 Chambers, I'll definitely work my way through LM's list. And the more hip hop fans on here the better

Here's another taste of what's to come from Detox (surely, SURELY this will be the year??):

YouTube - Dr. Dre Feat. Eminem - Die Hard (Preview) (Detox) (2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #463

also, interesting list: XXL Mag: The 50 Greatest Dr. Dre Beats Of All Time Dr. Dre "Detox" Dr. Dre "Detox"

so many awesome songs (and quite a few I didn't know were produced by Dre) but I'm dismayed at the lack of Real Niggaz Don't Die. my favourite NWA beat.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #464

Old 05-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #465
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife
I have to admit that I still haven't listened to Goblin. I've heard "Tron Cat" once, because it leaked a tad early and enjoyed it, but I wasn't blown away.

But, on a more exciting OF note, I purchased tickets for Sunday's Pitchfork Music Festival and am fucking stoked to see them in the flesh.
So the LeMel and I will be seeing you then?

Tags
hip hop