Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really expect much from a new Wu Tang album, although I think I'm one of the few who thought 8 Diagrams was alright.

Never seen them live, even though they have played a few shows near me. They have a reputation for being spotty live, plus you never know what MCs will actually show up. I'd hate to go to a show billed as Wu Tang Clan and get only U-God, Cappadonna, and Killah Priest.

Black Star :drool:

It's a Small Wonder, like Vicki, why I'm picky
These niggas suck like hickies
And still get to slip they shit in like Mickies
I'm sick of the hater-players, bring on the regulators
With the flavors like a farm team fucking with the majors

So instead of another Madvillain record, Madlib is dropping a new Quasimoto record. Not quite as exciting, but still. Holy shit.

That's him rapping over his own beats yeah? America's Most Blunted and Shadows of Tomorrow? Those Lord Quas verses would just about be my two least favourite on the album (apart from that bit that goes "drop X so you can have good sex").

Madvillainy 2 surely won't see the light of day.

Chance The Rapper. This guy has been getting a lot of hype and I think it's justified. You can get his debut mixtape Acip Rap here. It's named because he likes taking acid, which I think is cool, because that drug is definitely not associated with rappers... ecstasy is only recently starting to become accepted.
Acid-Rap-600.jpg

I'm really excited about it. I haven't been this excited about a rapper since listening to Section.80 a couple of years ago. I think it's really promising. It's got a little bit of early Kanye about it. I don't know many of the producers (save for Ludwig Gorransen (who pops up on Interlude), who does/did the music on Community, wtf) but it sounds really good, really warm. There's a bit of Organized Noize on a few of the tracks, that skittering hi-hat upbeat sort of beat. (He even references Humble Mumble on Jungle.) Twista, Childish Gambino, Action Bronson and a few others show up. His vocals are a bit annoying at times, they're a bit screechy, but it didn't bother me too much.
Anyway, a few tracks:
(yes, that's a reference to the prenatal title for MBDTF)
Chance The Rapper - So Good ( Good Ass Intro) (Official Video) - YouTube
Chance The Rapper - Cocoa Butter Kisses (feat. Vic Mensa and Twista) - YouTube
Maybe my favourite tune on first listen
Chance The Rapper - Chain Smoker - YouTube
More contemplative
Chance The Rapper - Acid Rain - YouTube

And here's an interview for good measure - seems like a cool kid. Rising: Chance the Rapper | Features | Pitchfork

Gotta check that shit out.

Besides Kanye and The National, the Killer Mike/El-P joint Run the Jewels is my most anticipated album of the year right now. This, the first track released from the album, has a good beat but it's Killer Mike's hot verse that really works for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkX_lhdrZg4

You should.

You're not that excited about Daft Punk?

I didn't know El-P was a rapper too, thought he was just a producer. But that's a good song. I always liked Killer Mike in the early 00s when he guested on Outkast tracks (Snappin & Trappin and Flip Flop Rock stand out) but then he went missing. And then all of a sudden he comes back last year with a critically acclaimed album that I didn't give the listens it deserved. It's baffled me, but I'm all for it. Count me excited.

Really, really, really good interview. College Dropout was his first album, and inspired him to start rapping.

DX: Have labels been sniffing around?

Chance the Rapper: Yeah, but we’re chillin. It’s a label of us right now—just me and Pat. Right now it’s a great system. No one’s telling us how some shit should sound, giving us a date to have the tape done by. Today it’s April 13; I’m still not done with this tape, and it comes out April 30. It’s still gonna come out April 30, but I can do whatever I want with it. I can decide not to drop it and just tease everybody with it for like four years. I wouldn’t do that. But it’s just an example of how free I am, and I like that feeling. But yeah, every label has hit us up talking millions, and it’s like, fuck it, you know? Right now, I just love making music…making the music I want to, making funny songs or making love songs or making Trap music, or making whatever I want to make at the moment. A lot more variables get involved with a partnership with a label.

Chance The Rapper Talks The Chicago Scene & His "Acid Rap" Mixtape | HipHop DX

Chance's voice and overall presence is a mess. Sometimes it sounds like he's rapping in baby talk (I mswiss mah Cocoewh Buttuh Kissehses), then he'll randomly let out a shriek at the end of a verse. He gets in the way, mic skills aside. The beats are sick though.

Acid Rain is the best track here, nuanced and vaguely psychedelic.

Totally get where you're coming from. Guess it just didn't bother me as much. I liked a lot of the things he had to say lyrically too, though Anthony Fantano disagreed. Pitchfork gave it BNM.

When you get a chance, listen to Chain Smoker again, and tell me what Kanye song those "yeah/yeah" samples in the background (first heard at 0:19 and 0:20) are from. Or it might be Kendrick. I don't want to go through all my Kanye and Kendrick to find out.

This makes me happy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viWGU5Yu3sA

ODB is absolutely horrible on it, but so many hilarious/ironic moments

"Shaoliiiiin is in daaa hooooouseee"

"Meeee aaand Maarriiaahh/Goooo back like babies withh paacciiffiiaaaahhs"

"What are you gonna do when you get out of jail? I'M GONNA DO A REMIX!"

And of course the beat is sick as fuck, because Genius of Love is literally perfect.

:lol:

But I may have to change my mind if cobbler winds up titling the next one. Cos the magical cobbler hip hop donkey-Rama thread wouldn't exactly be an improvement either.

Only because I'm apathetic enough not to bother with putting anything on ignore. Things I'm ignoring probably consist of u2kitten and her world of batshit crazy if she even posts here anymore, and that was from 7 years ago or so.

Anyone ever heard of a guy named Mike Ladd? His album, Welcome to the Afterfuture, is randomly on the 1001 albums you must hear before you die list, but he's got like 70 ratings on RYM.

Anyways, It was actually really good. Nice, chill, almost bordered on being trip hop, but definitely had some beats and moments.

I don't know that it would be an instant classic for anyone, but I definitely enjoyed it while I was working.

Doing some boring shit at work, so I’m playing a bunch of hip-hop classics on youtube I’ve never heard. First was Big L’s Lifestylez of Da Poor and Dangerous, which was great. Sick beats very much in keeping with the East Coast sound of the early-mid 90s. I can’t comment too much on the lyrics because I’m doing other stuff so not really focusing. Love this song Big L - Street Struck - YouTube

and it’s cool to hear Jay-Z on this track, before he’d even released Reasonable Doubt. Mind-blowing that 16 years later he was rapping “planking on a million” and Big L has been dead for years.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFHkNRjSVpA‎

Organized Konfusion’s Stress the Extinction Agenda now. It surprised me to learn that Pharoahe Monch was once one of hip-hop’s most acclaimed MCs, even if he never had much commercial success. I only knew him from Simon Says, which is fucking dope, but he was damn impressive opening for GZA. Enjoying it so far.

Lifestylez ov da Poor and Dangerous is one of my favorite hip-hop albums for sure. Big L just goes crazy on the mic. RIP

I like Organized Konfusion's self titled more than Stress but I'm in the minority there.

178da47c.jpg

June 26

01 Run the Jewels
02 Banana Clipper [ft. Big Boi]
03 36" Chain
04 DDFH
05 Sea Legs
06 Job Well Done [ft. Until the Ribbon Breaks]
07 No Come Down
08 Get It
09 Twin Hype Back [ft. Prince Paul]
10 A Christmas Fucking Miracle

I'm a little disappointed with the new J Cole album. Maybe it's all the Yeezus I've been listening to but the production seems really plain. And for a guy who's supposed to be all socially conscious it isn't doing anything special lyrically, though he's cut way back on the corny puns and his flow is more confident. A solid 7 and probably more consistent than his debut but I can't see this dude making a real knockout album.

For some reason I forgot KRIT had a new mixtape out, I should check that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom