Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohh did you see the other video embed? I posted that on a friend's wall, and forgot I hadn't copied Devil in a New Dress from youtube before posting.

Geez you bastards are quick. I happen to think that dude is pretty funny though.

Stop breaking threads with youtube videos.

Seriously though if you don't open that fucking shit with Hit 'Em Up you're a fool.

Me and my friends used to think we were so cool listening to 'Hit Em Up' in high school....a bunch of white boys in Utah, haha

Still a song I love to blast when I'm pissed off

Me and my friends used to think we were so cool listening to 'Hit Em Up' in high school....a bunch of white boys in Utah

Still a song I love to blast when I'm pissed off

Haha, I was exactly the same. Me and my mates used to sit around in someone's house and listen to 2Pac over and over. Thought we were the coolest people out.

Just got back from The Art of Rap: Something from Nothing.

Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap (2012) - Official Trailer [HD] - YouTube

It was fucking awesome. Highlights included:

- Eminem. Does a great freestyle (or it might be lyrics from one of his songs) and then talks about why he loves hip-hop. So passionate and it actually reminded me why I loved him so much, which was great, cos I've lost my love for him over the past five/six/seven years.
- KRS-One. Talking about how he started in hip-hop. He was watching a street battle and randomly one of the rappers picked on him, "so yo I gotta say somethin back to this nigga". Ridiculously affable and funny.
- Afrika Bambaataa, the man who came up with the term hip-hop.
- The unbelievably mammoth physical presence that is Dr Dre.
- The absolutely genius that came out of Dr Dre's mouth when Ice-T was asking him about his career and how he works. In 27 years, he's never been out of the studio for more than two weeks.
- Kanye West telling a cool story about his first rap battle. He lost to a guy who went "My name is Chris and you smell like piss". "So that's why all my rhymes are simple these days." And then he rapped his verses acapella from Gorgeous. It was siiiick.
- Q-Tip and Ice-T on a street corner somewhere in NYC I think. Trying to fight off randoms walking past and Q-Tip dropping some knowledge.
- Rakim making about 95% of rappers since him look about as clever as doorknobs.
- Run DMC talking about their time on top.
- Snoop. "I'm only in LA for one day and all these bitches be calling me up... I wish I was a octopus." Ice-T: "How do you write?" Snoop: "Well I gotta smoke a lotta weed, then I gotta have a lotta hoes around for inspiration cos I like looking at em..."
- Yasiin (Mos Def), much like Rakim, just making other MCs look like idiots.
- Melle Mel just displaying as much swagger as any new kids on the block despite being 51.

See it if you get the chance. The only thing lacking was a lack of representation from Wu-Tang (only Raekwon is in it, for like 15 seconds), Beastie Boys and any southern hip-hop whatsoever.

5 stars for my man GZA!

345B31C0-6B07-4C1D-A86D-5C08CECA0692-3459-000002F5DC30C0BA.jpg

I love how there's a break-up song on Madvillainy.

MADVILLAIN - FANCY CLOWN (AUDIO) - YouTube

It's like Blame Game, but better. I'm really coming around very quickly to the album. I think because the other night I listened to it while reading along with the lyrics at the same time. MF DOOM's a dope lyricist. Not my favourite vocals, per se, but they fit Madlib's beats perfectly and he's got sick flow and wordplay. I think all that's holding me back at the moment is a lot of instrumental/skit type stuff, and that some songs end before you want them too, like the one above, Accordion, etc. But I get that's all part of it.

There you go. :up:

You'll grow to love the instrumentals too because though they cut short some great tracks, they add to the record musically. As Neil Young would say: it's all one song.

From the Pitchfork review

on "Money Folder", in which Doom starts off, "Don't mind me, I won't just rhyme lightly off of two or three Heinies," but flips beers to babes midway: "And boy was they fine, G: One black, one Spanish, one Chi-nee."

They'd really do well to study their lyrics a bit closer. Because it's definitely "I wrote this rhyme lightly..." I've literally never heard anyone call a Heineken a "Heinie".

That Mos Def cover is sick.

They'd really do well to study their lyrics a bit closer. Because it's definitely "I wrote this rhyme lightly..." I've literally never heard anyone call a Heineken a "Heinie".

Somebody's Heinie is crowding my icebox
Somebody's cold one is giving me chills

-Weezer, "Say It Ain't So"

Holy fucking shit yes. Yes. This is my most anticipated hip-hop album now. It's a "reunion" I never expected.

Completely agreed that Deltron 3030 was classic, probably in the top 10 for the decade.

Going to see Public Enemy tonight...they are doing a Legends type show, performing It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back cut for cut.

Now..should I go as I looked in 88, as I looked in 91 the first time I saw them, or what? Not even sure if I have any old gear from that time..boooiiiiiiiiii

lol

This was actually one of the best concerts I've seen in my life. Anyone who thinks 53 is too old to rock a stage better than these weakass younger rappers or that Flavour Flav is washed up has never seen these guys recently. Fucking amazing show, the album was performed in it's entirety (not back to back, but still) with the exception of Channel Zero which was in the encore but had to be omitted likely due to being so over time. They started ON TIME but they brought up Maestro Fresh Wes who hit a fucking grand slam with a freestyle about being the black Prime Minister of Canadian rap and Michie Mee who was also great. I honestly felt 18 again when they did the tracks off Nation of Millions, they killed it! Sans Terminator X, but DJ Lord put on a fucking hell of a show, he's brilliant also. Flav not only knocked it out the park with his tracks, he PLAYED BASS on one - with badass solos - and drums on even another. Washed up? Pah! He's got more juice than most of these fools my kid listens to.

And...AND!!...our very own Mark Baker aka U2Brothr, got pulled up on stage! Mark was a huge PE fan in his youth like me and his first vanity plate was "LAMPIN" ...he found it, brought it to the show with the intention of giving it to Flav..and then Flav saw it, pointed at it a couple of times throughout the show, and then finally said "yo, I want you to come up on this stage right now with that" and we hoisted Mark up, and while Mark walked around the stage holding the licence plate high, Flav launched into...you guessed it: Cold Lampin' ..there's gonna be tons of video and pics of it up soon, it was an amazing moment for him!

SO happy I went! We got lots of love from Chuck and Flav high fives you name it and I got a setlist. What a night!! :rockon:

Hopefully he will, but in the meantime

2012-09-02 Public Enemy - Flavor Flav, Cold Lampin with Mark Baker at Sound Academy Toronto - YouTube

video shot by Sam the dude who was one of the founders of U2_GTA so great to hang with him again!...cool part of this moment for me: when Bono pulled me up onstage, it was Mark who hoisted me and was there to catch me when I jumped down. When Mark went up last night, I got to return the favor (my big head in the bottom left corner for the first 10 secs or so). Such a cool moment!!

WHOA!!! What a night indeed. Crazy.

So what you guys don't know....before there was U2.....it was PUBLIC ENEMY.

When I turned 16..... and I had my first car..... the hip-hop head in me bought a vanity plate that said LAMPIN - (means chillin'....laid back but super cool). On the It Takes a Nation of Millions album, Flavor had a song called Cold Lampin' with Flavor.

The car died and the plates sat in my parent's garage for 24 years.

Bought a ticket to the Enemy show and decided I'm going to give Flavor Flav my plate. Managed to tell friends of my intentions before the show even started.

Brought the plate to the show and unbelieveable.

HIP HOP LEGENDS.

PUBLIC ENEMY featuring MARK BAKER getting pulled onstage @ SOUND ACADEMY - YouTube

Fuck man, that is absolutely sick. Stoked for you. Must have been like a dream come true. Immediately change your avatar, this is way better. :up:

Unrelated, but I tried listening to Rick Ross' album this morning and got about two tracks in before turning it off. He's just so uninspiring. And apparently he can even bring down others; believe it or not, Dr Dre has BY FAR the best verse on this song. Jay-Z sounds like a pussy.

Rick Ross Feat. Dr. Dre & Jay-Z - 3 Kings - NEW VIDEO 2012 - YouTube

Sixteen, with Andre, is obviously great, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom