Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing how such massive weed intake can make someone so prolific.

Muscle Car Chronicles probably shouldn't have made it past quality control, tho Spitta does get in a few nice verses here and there.

Action Bronson has a new mixtape out as well.

Well I bit the bullet and purchased OF Tape Vol 2... let me down. Odd Future frustrate me because when they get it right they make some of the best hip-hop going around. But they're so hit and miss... for every great track like She or Rella or Yonkers or Novacane or whatever, you've gotta put up with three tracks with lyrics borne out of repeating "nigga" "bitch" and "dick" as much as possible, and that awful, abrasive, superficial production that has become so popular in the last two or so years:

50 [5-0] - Mellow Hype (Odd Future tape vol.2) - YouTube

Waka Flocka "Hard in Da Paint" (Official Video) - YouTube

Seriously, I cannot fucking stand that production. Not even my beloved homeboys could save a track with that shit, but luckily, they aren't stupid enough to use crappy, lazy beats like that.

There's a few good tracks though. Rella is awesome, NY (Ned Flander), Ya Know, Snow White and Analog 2 are all good. The highlight is Oldie though. It's 10-and-a-half minutes, but shows what they can do when just focus on making good hip-hop. Plus it's got a fucking great verse from Earl, who is the best MC in the group by miles.

I might listen to OF's mixtape for laughs, but I have VERY low expectations.

Action Bronson, however, is awesome.

The only time I've ever heard him rap was when I saw them at Pitchfork, which was a big distorted blob of bass with the words "nigga," "bitch," and "fuck" occasionally bleeding through in the mix, so I couldn't really judge him as an MC, but maybe I'll try it.

Anyone heard this THEESatisfaction album? It sounds like an intriguing blend of soul and hip-hop.

cobl04 said:
It will exceed your expectations, I'm sure of it. FlyLo produces two tracks.

It was indeed good. FlyLo is amazing...Hodgy Beats not so much (he has no gift for hooks, though they may improve in time). The extremely brief but strangely haunting If Heaven Is A Ghetto is probably my favorite because all the elements come together, but certain tracks like the insipid Samurai also happen to have EXCELLENT beats. It was a frustrating listen, but an enjoyable one.

iron yuppie said:
Anyone heard this THEESatisfaction album? It sounds like an intriguing blend of soul and hip-hop.

Can't say I've heard of it, but it sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

Hey Cobbler, have you listened to Madvillainy yet, you bitch? It's one of the most acclaimed hip-hop albums of all time, it has that unpredictable jazz-rap FlyLo vibe you love so much, and it's the perfect gateway to the intoxicating underworld of Madlib/MF Doom releases.

I don't often demand you listen to something, but this is an exception.

You know what, I was just reading about that somewhere yesterday, and was hit by pangs of guilt that I had not yet got around to it.

Tonight, while I'm watching Community, I will download both it and Since I Left You.

Have you heard this one Cobbler? Stankonia era b-side that found its way onto the (surprisingly great) Tomb Raider soundtrack. I think they left it off the album because it sounded too similar to B.O.B. While it's not as great as that song (what is?), I like it quite a bit. I think it may have fit well on the back end of Stankonia, which lags a little bit IMO.

Also, listen to Madvillainy already.

5 Speedballin' Outkast - Tomb Raider - YouTube

I get paid a month's worth tomorrow night. I will buy Madvillainy and five other albums you suggest that you know I haven't heard but would enjoy.

I get paid a month's worth tomorrow night. I will buy Madvillainy and five other albums you suggest that you know I haven't heard but would enjoy.

Didn't you say you've never heard College Dropout or Late Registration?

Buy both of those.

This is extending beyond hip-hop, but not terribly far:

1. Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
2. Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
3. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady
4. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
5. Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star

I'm not sure if you've heard all of these, but I haven't heard you talk about them, so I'm assuming not. There's no way you've heard these classics and not come away with a strong opinion.

Got Late Rego but not College Dropout.

I haven't heard any of those five, believe it or not, though I certainly know they're all considered seminal albums of their respective genres. Will get em.

I've been trying to find Pete Rock & CL Smooth albums, since I loved so much that track posted a few pages back, but with little luck.

You might have to hit up Aussie eBay for those. There are a bunch of copies of The Main Ingredient on there, including a vinyl for $37.

Downloaded BBNG2, which I'll get around to, but HOLY SHIT WHAT THE HELL WAS I DOING WITH MY LIFE not listening to Section.80 last year? So fucking good.

I'm one and a half tracks into The Main Ingredient. How the hell did these guys not achieve greater fame? Were they big and they've just been forgotten about since falling out in the mid 90s? This fits my tastes perfectly. Could easily see it becoming an all-time favourite.

Nah, they never had any big singles. There wasn't a great deal of pop radio crossover for hip-hop in the mid-90s. Things changed later in the decade, but like Jay-Z's early stuff? The albums sold great, but he didn't have a lot of high charting singles. Pete Rock is an extremely beloved producer who had work for years, but he never had a breakthrough like that.

Really glad you were digging it.

Killer Mike's new album "R.A.P." just got BNM'd. I wonder if it's good, or another example of the rubbish taste the fork has in hip hop, because I've never been a big Killer Mike fan.

Hey, I finally heard an Odd Future release that's worth a damn! Bastard is very likable. A little aimless and grates lyrically every once in a while, but I dig the more soulful vibe, the occasional good-time reprieves, and the fact that, for once, he achieved a truly surreal, psychedelic atmosphere. There's some real love in these grooves.

Goblin is still a bloated piece of shit with next to no redeeming values, but I'm more excited for Wolf now.

The Tipping Point is about as mediocre as I had always heard it was. Not bad by any means, but it's my least favorite Roots album going back to the early days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom