Hip-Hop Purists - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #301
45:33

Local Time: 04:28 PM
that was pretty nuts... what is OFWGKTA? not sure i liked the first rapper's vocals, or the chorus all that much, but still, impressive. and what was with the girl from The Ring?

Mos Def seems like a really endearing bloke.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #302
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:28 AM
OFWGKTA is the shortened name of their collective: Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All.

No idea what was up with her, as in why she was dressed that way, but she was supposed to be the girl being raped in the song, I assume.

Since you're impressed, but not sure about the vocals, you should check out some of their albums. Free downloads on their Tumblr: Look for Bastard (the first dude, Tyler, The Creator's album), Radical (the collective's mixtape), and Earl.

And, agreed on Mos Def. He's always seemed like an upstanding dude in the fullest sense.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #303
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:28 PM
Ok, so that WAS the group I was reading about in Spin today. I saw you mention them in Random, and then I saw a spread about it in Spin, but not under the name you typed, and I wasn't sure if it was the same thing, but I see it now.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #304
Refugee

Local Time: 05:28 AM
Normally I take blog hype with a grain of salt, but the way people are fapping themselves over these guys is kind of grating. They claim they're not horrorcore, but that's exactly what they are. It's not the jokes about rape and homophobia that bother me (at least I think they're joking), it's more that this isn't terribly original and/or shocking. If I wanted this stuff, I'd just listen to Geto Boys or 'Elif4zaggiN'. #showingmyage

I saw one commenter refer to them as 'the black ICP' which made me lol. That's a little unfair, because there is some talent there and the beats are pretty sick. I was impressed enough with 'Yonkers' that I'll probably check out Tyler's album when it drops.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #305
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think anybody's saying they're doing something new. EVERYTHING IS DERIVATIVE. Say it with me now: EVERYTHING IS DERIVATIVE.

Ok, moving on...it's pretty clear they owe a lot to the horrorcore genre and folks like Bizarre, NWA, Geto Boys, etc. But, what they are posing themselves against is the turn that hip-hop has taken in the mainstream in recent years with the Weezys and Yeezys, which I do think is an interesting response. Tyler has said himself that he's in a bit of a "rape stage," whatever that means (extremely problematic on many levels, but the regulars here know my feelings on misogyny in hip-hop, so I'll spare you), and I'm hoping some of their lyrics tone down a bit. Plus, the kids are between 16 and 22. I mean, come the fuck on, they're some talented young dudes, and watching their careers progress will be worth it.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #306
Refugee

Of course, nothing is truly original, my issue isn't "it's been done" more "it's been done before and better."

My comment was more a reaction to the echo chamber of the music blogosphere. What I find surprising is that the Inevitable Backlash hasn't happened yet, and I wonder why this is. I think folks don't want to come across as out of it, or like their sensibilities are too delicate to handle the lyrics.

Like I said, I am interested in Tyler's album, 'Yonkers' was the first thing I've heard so far from these guys I've liked; there is potential there. However I seriously doubt that, other than Tyler, the rest of these dudes will break out solo careers.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #307
Blue Crack Addict

Fair enough. I'm still not sure about the "it's been done before and better" argument; it seems to be the go-to response when talking about new school vs. old school hip-hop.

As for the "Inevitable Backlash," there's been plenty of unfavorable posts and reviews of their albums on blogs. There's also been plenty of bandwagoning. Plus, if you go through the massive catalog of the collective's music, the ratio of shock value to storytelling is low. Some songs and some lines do have these rape/violent themes, no question. But, it's a lot less than people are making it out to be.

And, Tyler has already released an album, if you're interested. It's called Bastard and can be downloaded for free at Odd Future's Tumblr.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #308
Refugee

I guess I'm going to different sites; what I've read has been overwhelmingly positive.

I was pretty 'meh' on the "Bastard" tracks I've heard but am interested to see if the upcoming "Goblin" shows some progression.

I'll add that the Fallon performance was pretty punk rock, one of the more exciting live TV performances I've seen in awhile.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #309
Blue Crack Addict

Two major hip-hop blogs have essentially boycotted the group: 2DopeBoyz (though, they'll claim otherwise) and NahRight. In those cases, it's the silences that are more telling than poor reviews though.

Agreed that the Fallon performance was ridiculous. I've watched it several times today again. So. Much. Energy.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #310

so is Fallon just a massive hip hop fan? that makes me feel pretty awesome, as a lot of my friends ask me if i'm secretly black. so it's cool to see a famous white bloke appreciating hip hop on such a level.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #311
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
so is Fallon just a massive hip hop fan? that makes me feel pretty awesome, as a lot of my friends ask me if i'm secretly black. so it's cool to see a famous white bloke appreciating hip hop on such a level.
Not that I know of, and I'm not entirely sure how much he had to do with making The Roots his house band or if that was a decision from higher-ups at the network.

More likely, The Roots had something to do with getting Odd Future on though. They're tight with Mos Def, and he's been backing OFWGKTA for more than a minute now.

I hear you. I've been referred to as "the hip-hop kid" more than once, and actually, my professor made a similar comment about my race and hip-hop during a class of ours, saying, "You swim quite comfortably in the waters of hip-hop, and most of its fans and practitioners are black, and you're........not." The pause was classic.

I always like to refer back to Atmosphere and Jeff Chang on that issue, though:

Little Math You, fifteen, suburban
And it ain't shit if it ain't the cursin version
With the sticker on the front to piss off his dad
Just tell that bitch to get off the rag, huh
Little Math You from the burbs gotta here it
It's like the only thing that puts the nerve in his spirit
Go ahead and make some ruckus for the hell of it
And yell it on the streets about monotonous development
You're telling me that this ain't for him, right?
How many y'all motherfuckers get an invite?

-Atmosphere, "Little Math You"

"So, you ask, when does the Hip-Hop Generation begin? After DJ Kool Herc and Afrika Bambaataa. Whom does it include? Anyone who is down."

- Jeff Chang, Can't Stop Won't Stop (the absolute BEST history of the hip-hop generation up through 2001)
Old 02-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #312

"Anyone who is down." That is such a fucking awesome way of putting it. I use "down" a lot. Might have to get that book.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #313
Refugee

'Can't Stop Won't Stop' is a great read. It's definitely more of a cultural history than a chronicling of the history/development of just hip-hop music (obviously the culture and the music are intrinsically connected). I understand why he took the approach; just giving a straight history of the artists and the music would have made for dry reading, whereas he shows how hip-hop became a dominant cultural force in the last quarter of the 20th century.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #314
The Male

Local Time: 09:28 PM
Not having listened to anything by OFWGKTAOMGWTFBBQ, 6 Feet Deep by Gravediggaz is the peak of the horrorcore subgenre. Harrowing and fucking badass without feeling like cro-magnon, misogynistic trash.

I will certainly listen to OFWGKTAOMGWTFBBQ, btw.

Now.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #315
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Might have to get that book.
Do it. It's really, really good. That one is purely the history of hip-hop, and another good one is 'Where You're At' by Patrick Neate, about hip-hop all around the world.

Tags
hip hop