Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camouflage chameleon
Ninjas scalin' the building
Ain't no time to grab yo' gun
They already got your wife & children

Oddly enough, I think Rza's verse on '4th Chamber' may be my favourite on the album. Hard to believe it gets even more insane after those first bars, but it does, with Bob Digi dropping science on government conspiracies.

Moment of Truth is a beast of an album. Great rhymes, but it's obviously DJ Premier who dominates. What an awesome producer.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have another absolute favorite hip hop album for Ashley. I mean, absolute favorite, coming possibly in 2nd: Common ~ Be

Really REALLY love "It's Your World Pt 1 & 2" a LOT. Also "Faithfully" is great. And just...everything. EVERY THING.

Listening to Goblin for the first time right now. I don't anticipate making it through the whole thing (this shit is probably about 20 to 25 minutes too long), but I'll try to get at least a handful of tracks into it.

Have people mentioned how much this dude bites Eminem's early style? Wow. It's all there in the first track, really.

Young kid new to the scene, turning heads, rapping about whether or not people should actually believe the violent shit he says in his lyrics, the twisted humor, the verbal attacks on other celebrities, the mommy/daddyfamily issues. Shit. Seems like Tyler owes practically his entire career to Marshall Mathers.

Anyway, I still kinda like the guy. Seem him in a couple of interviews and he seems like a pretty funny dude in real life. Not too big on this album, though.

Yeah I've soured on the album significantly since getting it. I really only listen to Yonkers, She (song of the year?), Nightmare, Sandwitches, Analogue and Her.

I definitely picked up on the Shady vibe. There's one bit in Yonkers in particular that is straight out of his playbook, both in terms of lyrics and vocal delivery:

Swallow the cinnamon, I'mma scribble this sinnin' shit
While Syd is tellin' me that she's been gettin' intimate with men
(Syd, shut the fuck up) Here's the number to my therapist
(Shit) Tell him all your problems, he's fuckin' awesome with listenin'

Fuck the fame and all the hype, G
I just wanna know if my father would ever like me
But I don't give a fuck so he's probably just like me

Actually, the whole song is pretty much out of Shady's playbook.

I am sad to report the honeymoon between I and old school hip hop may be over :(. I heard It Takes a Nation of Millions... today...I was not impressed. I didn't like the repetitive way they used samples, and if Flavor Flav yelled, "Yeah Boi!" one more time I was going go out and choke him with one of his clock necklaces. Unfortunately for him, since I said I decided on that course of action, he said it about twenty more times, so I'm pretty much on my way to hunt him down now.

I didn't even really like "Don't Believe the Hype"...which considering everything is INCREDIBLY ironic.

I've got that but I'm yet to listen to it. Speaking of being let down though, I spun Biggie's Ready to Die and can't help but feel a bit disappointed. I was actually kind of bored with it. Juicy and Big Poppa are just such big standouts.

I'm sure it'll grow on me though.

Listening to Goblin for the first time right now. I don't anticipate making it through the whole thing (this shit is probably about 20 to 25 minutes too long), but I'll try to get at least a handful of tracks into it.

Have people mentioned how much this dude bites Eminem's early style? Wow. It's all there in the first track, really.

Young kid new to the scene, turning heads, rapping about whether or not people should actually believe the violent shit he says in his lyrics, the twisted humor, the verbal attacks on other celebrities, the mommy/daddyfamily issues. Shit. Seems like Tyler owes practically his entire career to Marshall Mathers.

Anyway, I still kinda like the guy. Seem him in a couple of interviews and he seems like a pretty funny dude in real life. Not too big on this album, though.
By "a couple interviews," you mean you stumbled upon them because you were watching Narduwar.

I tell you what though. I always considered myself "west side" (yes I spent my entire teenage years walking around making the hand sign) but NY hiphop fucking kills it, from what I've heard. By a loooooong way

bono_212 said:
I am sad to report the honeymoon between I and old school hip hop may be over :(. I heard It Takes a Nation of Millions... today...I was not impressed. I didn't like the repetitive way they used samples, and if Flavor Flav yelled, "Yeah Boi!" one more time I was going go out and choke him with one of his clock necklaces. Unfortunately for him, since I said I decided on that course of action, he said it about twenty more times, so I'm pretty much on my way to hunt him down now.

I didn't even really like "Don't Believe the Hype"...which considering everything is INCREDIBLY ironic.

Fucking blasphemy, this post :tsk:

cobl04 said:
I've got that but I'm yet to listen to it. Speaking of being let down though, I spun Biggie's Ready to Die and can't help but feel a bit disappointed. I was actually kind of bored with it. Juicy and Big Poppa are just such big standouts.

I'm sure it'll grow on me though.

I love Things Done Changed, Machine Gun Funk and Ready To Die every bit as much as the hits. I guess I just kick ass.

cobl04 said:
I tell you what though. I always considered myself "west side" (yes I spent my entire teenage years walking around making the hand sign) but NY hiphop fucking kills it, from what I've heard. By a loooooong way

90s west coast hip-hop sounds like shit now compared to the cold, hard-hitting east coast hip hop from the era. I also love jazz-rap, which helps.

I can't really comment having only heard The Chronic and Straight Outta Compton but I would vehemently disagree that they sound like shit. The beat from "Fuck Wit Dre Day" is fucking sick and that's just the first track. I reckon it sounds very fresh

cobl04 said:
I can't really comment having only heard The Chronic and Straight Outta Compton but I would vehemently disagree that they sound like shit. The beat from "Fuck Wit Dre Day" is fucking sick and that's just the first track. I reckon it sounds very fresh

It's so...90s though. I mean, it's good, but in a very dated sort of way. I can pinpoint precisely was era it came from without thinking about it. In contrast, Big L, OC and early Ghostface sound like any number of underground LPs being released today. I would say that sound was more enduring and influential than most west coast, even though radio stations still play the shit out of California Love and Gin & Juice.

The beat from Big Poppa is straight up 90s west coast.

One thing I can say - Ready to Die is not a driving album. Played a few tracks on my comp and enjoyed it more.

One thing I can say - Ready to Die is not a driving album.

Maybe if you're driving a LADA pumping the thing out of an 8 track, sure.

Play that baby in a sports/otherwise snazzy ride with a nice system out on a nice open stretch, and it's definitely a driving album.

Not to mention there aren't many clubs or crowds you can pull up to while bumpin One More Chance, Juicy, Big Poppa, to name a few, where heads will not turn. Pretty heads. Heads that you want in the passenger seat while you crank that shit to 11. Hell yeah.

Also, the beat/music from Big Poppa is the Isley Brother's Between The Sheets (1983). Classic classic track. They're from Ohio by birth and during their careers New York/New Jersey. To be fair I think a couple west coast artists did sample it probably in the mid to late 90s, but the majority of artists who've used it are from the east coast scene. Juicy is Juicy Fruit, by Mtume who was as east coast as they come.

^ not bad. lot going on (in a good way). sounds old school?

Also, the beat/music from Big Poppa is the Isley Brother's Between The Sheets (1983). Classic classic track.

Holy shit. You weren't kidding. That's straight up blatant too, not just a worked-in sample. I feel so goddam (and depressingly) ignorant sometimes.

this - is a fucking stellar hip-hop tune.

GZA feat. Killah Priest - B.I.B.L.E. (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth) + Lyrics - YouTube

fucking blows my mind. i'm still warming up to Liquid Swords. Swordsman still by far my favourite tune from the album, but 4th Chamber (killer verse from RZA) and Shadowboxin are great too. Not really a bad song, just a pretty inaccessible album, i find.

the very first martial arts soundbite is creepy as fuck... but it doesn't fucking work at all into Liquid Swords.

cobl04 said:
^ not bad. lot going on (in a good way). sounds old school?

Not exactly: 2005. Mixing rock with rap is an inherently old school thing to do, I suppose.

Madvillainy just gets more and more rad. I've heard it so many times that it's like an old friend who always comes up with something profound to say when we meet, only they're really twitchy and fucked up so I never see it coming.

I've just got to deal with the fact that Madlib is one of my favorite people, in general.

Fuck, I've got so many fucking albums from this year to hear :( help me out, any hip-hop albums aside from the obvious (ie ones I've mentioned) that have stuck with you from this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom