Hip-Hop Purists - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #286
The Male

Local Time: 01:55 PM
A minute into The Narrow Path and I'm sold. That's beautiful. I wanted some hip-hop tonight, and I think his album will do nicely. I'll report back shortly.

It was either this or Ridin' Dirty by UGK. I want proof that southern rap isn't crappy, outside of Dungeon Family.

Now.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #287
The Male

Yeah, alright, that was a terrific recommendation, Cassie. Man. It was probably 3-4 songs too long, but I loved most of the tracks, so it's not a significant flaw either way. Blu is a terrific MC, and Exile's beats are lush. If there is a flaw with the songs themselves, it's that the lyrics swing too close to the autobiographical for my liking; it's the sort of TMI deal that sinks Kid Cudi for me, but this manages to slip by (for the most part) unscathed, because Blu is so much stronger an MC.

Now.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #288
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Yeah, alright, that was a terrific recommendation, Cassie. Man. It was probably 3-4 songs too long, but I loved most of the tracks, so it's not a significant flaw either way. Blu is a terrific MC, and Exile's beats are lush. If there is a flaw with the songs themselves, it's that the lyrics swing too close to the autobiographical for my liking; it's the sort of TMI deal that sinks Kid Cudi for me, but this manages to slip by (for the most part) unscathed, because Blu is so much stronger an MC.
Dude, glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, 60 minutes is long for any album, imo. I'm still a hardcore believer in the 40-45 minute album. It's the perfect length.

If I may ask, because I've seen you mention this before, what are you looking for lyrically, if not the autobiographical? To me, I guess it seems like a whole lot of hip-hop swings dangerously close to that line, so I'm pretty curious.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #289
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
Dude, glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, 60 minutes is long for any album, imo. I'm still a hardcore believer in the 40-45 minute album. It's the perfect length.

If I may ask, because I've seen you mention this before, what are you looking for lyrically, if not the autobiographical? To me, I guess it seems like a whole lot of hip-hop swings dangerously close to that line, so I'm pretty curious.
I firmly believe Illmatic is probably the "best" hip-hop album of all time because it's so taut. No unnecessary tracks: all of them add up to the full, melancholic, beautiful picture.

The thing is, that album is also one of the most autobiographical around. And that's terrific. My beef with Blu is that, at least at this stage in his career, it seems as if all he could write about was himself, and while that's great in small doses, I felt the record got slightly navel-gazey in points. The storytelling wasn't quite as strong as I would hope. So, I dunno, I guess it's all a matter of degrees.

Now.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 AM   #290
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I firmly believe Illmatic is probably the "best" hip-hop album of all time because it's so taut. No unnecessary tracks: all of them add up to the full, melancholic, beautiful picture.

The thing is, that album is also one of the most autobiographical around. And that's terrific. My beef with Blu is that, at least at this stage in his career, it seems as if all he could write about was himself, and while that's great in small doses, I felt the record got slightly navel-gazey in points. The storytelling wasn't quite as strong as I would hope. So, I dunno, I guess it's all a matter of degrees.
I'm with you on Illmatic, which seems like it only gets better and more vivid the more listens I give it.

Ah, that all makes sense. I suppose that's what separates the greats from the mere mortals.

In other news, I'm listening to Big L's Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous for the first time. So far, so fucking '90s hip-hop good. The reasons for this album's acclaim are becoming clearer by the second.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:33 AM   #291
45:33

Local Time: 08:55 AM
Quote:
it's the sort of TMI deal that sinks Kid Cudi for me
yep. Man on the Moon II was in the bottom five albums i heard last year for pretty much that very reason. i smoke a lot of weed, and bitches love me, and i'm rich and successful and famous but man, my life is horrible, and hears 70 minutes expressing explicitly why.

every time i listen to Illmatic i hear something new. i think with time it too will become one of my favourites. interesting that Jay-Z diss on him in i think it's "The Takeover" is along the lines of, "you had a big hit with Illmatic, but you've done fuck all since then". now i really like The Blueprint and Jay-Z (obviously) but having heard that and The Black Album he can't match the remarkable Illmatic.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #292
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
yep. Man on the Moon II was in the bottom five albums i heard last year for pretty much that very reason. i smoke a lot of weed, and bitches love me, and i'm rich and successful and famous but man, my life is horrible, and hears 70 minutes expressing explicitly why.

every time i listen to Illmatic i hear something new. i think with time it too will become one of my favourites. interesting that Jay-Z diss on him in i think it's "The Takeover" is along the lines of, "you had a big hit with Illmatic, but you've done fuck all since then". now i really like The Blueprint and Jay-Z (obviously) but having heard that and The Black Album he can't match the remarkable Illmatic.
Have you heard his first album or an earlier mixtape, A Kid Named Cudi? Those aren't as depressing, though there is some of that, of course. It doesn't help that he went through a cocaine addiction before Man on the Moon II either...or that he signed with Kanye/G.O.O.D. Music, which is (shocking!) when his raps started to be a lot more lifestyle-based instead of introspective, if not a bit whiny.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #293

i've heard a few tracks from both and enjoyed what i heard. i saw him live last year as well, and the more upbeat stuff was awesome, the depressing stuff just killed the mood. it might have to do with his less-than-great ability as an MC, cos others have pulled off depressing just fine.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #294

i know intros on hip-hop albums are generally superfluous and forgettable, but i seriously love this one:

YouTube - Outkast - You May Die (Intro)

quite a remarkable album too. GAF if you see this please tell me which Outkast album is your favourite and why you love ATLiens.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #295
Blue Crack Addict

Atmosphere live. Enough said.

YouTube - Atmosphere - Always Coming Back Home to You
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #296

have you heard the Talib Kweli album?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #297
Blue Crack Addict

Nope, I haven't. Usually, I'm not that keen on his albums as their own entities. They tend to have a few very strong tracks and a lot of not so great songs. Have you? If so, is it worth hearing?

Speaking of Kweli though, he's releasing a mixtape soonish, and I was listening to a couple of leaks from that, both fire: a freestyle and a remix of "I'm On One" with CyHi da Prynce.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #298
War Child

Local Time: 03:55 PM
I don't know if he's been mentioned, cuz I didn't read this entire thread, but Joe Budden is one of the greatest rappers I've heard in quite some time. Anyone who likes hip hop should really check this guy out if they havent already
Old 02-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #299

Saw De La Soul last night. They were really good, entertaining. Unfortunately I always seem to walk away from hiphop gigs slightly underwhelmed... but that's taking nothing away from De La. So much for hearing ...is Dead in full though, they played stuff from 3 Feet High (Potholes in My Lawn, Me Myself & I), and some other stuff I didn't recognise. Ring Ring Ring went off, as you'd expect. It's by far their most popular song here. Sadly they only played a small portion of Pass the Plugs. Ooodles of O's was a welcome and very good surprise. Saturdays also went off. I was suprised though a lot of the stuff I didn't recognise were the highlights in a lot of ways. Heaps of energy. Better than Ice Cube. Maseo is a sick cunt. He did the laugh a few times (the one you can hear on Feel Good Inc), awesome shit.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #300
Blue Crack Addict

Holy motherfucking shit. OFWGKTA fucked up Fallon last night. Mos Def yelling "SWAG!" at the end...classic.

YouTube - OFWGKTA LIVE ON JIMMY FALLON

Tags
hip hop