Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Daddy Kane's on the list there, chief.

And I've only ever heard one Dead Prez track, and other than the beat it was pretty weak.

I don't really call Jill Scott and Lauren Hill pure hip hop, and anyways Mary J Blige would own that crossover category anyways.

For female rappers, put me down for:

MC Lyte who was number one....till Missy Elliot came along maybe?

my Canadian sister Michie Mee!!

Lisa Left Eye Lopes RIP Lisa :sad:

Me'shcell

Queen Latifa

Roxanne Shante

Sylk-E Fyne

Yo-Yo

and for the older kids the girl rapper groups

Salt N Pepa
Wee Papa Girl rappers
JJ Fad - dont roast me for that, you know y'all rocked out Supersonic back in the day ;)

:up: X 10000 for this thread tho...this white boy has been lovin me some hip hop since 1985!!

gabrielvox said:
I don't really call Jill Scott and Lauren Hill pure hip hop, and anyways Mary J Blige would own that crossover category anyways.

Huh? Blige can't fucking rap. My point about LH is that she's got a great voice for soul stuff, but is also a formidable rapper, lyrics and delivery.

lazarus said:

Huh? Blige can't fucking rap. My point about LH is that she's got a great voice for soul stuff, but is also a formidable rapper, lyrics and delivery.

Lauryn Hill is the best female rapper I've ever heard.

Exhibit A: The Score (the song):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4bbnk5WpX3Y

ETA: The skit at the end of this tune is probably my favourite hip-hop skit. "Not THAT Michelle Leslie Brown from 225th St that plays ball in the park, the OTHER Michelle Leslie Brown..." :laugh:

Last edited:
Lauryn Hill beats MC Lyte? No way dude.

I will admit she's a better rapper than MJB, of course...I just meant that if you're going to call LH and Jill Scott hiphop well then you have to put Mary in there too..

I've never heard an MC Lyte tune. Like I said, Lauryn Hill is the best female rapper I've ever heard, not necessarily the best outright.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Why don't you define Hip Hop "purists" first. I definately think hip hop is an incredible artform, but the word "purists" is not one that many would use in describing hip hop. Also, given my definition of hip hop purists, a few on that list don't even come close.

I still think this is worth answering, especially if you're after a REAL discussion. :wink:

...ok, but that doesn't remove the value of defining what is meant by the term.

earlier on it was said the list was included weed out posts on certain artists, which i agree with; there's a lot of crap out there.

also, by the names of a number of artists it's specified "before _____ year", "before _____ album" ...

just curious to know how you came up with those qualifiers.

for a personal example, i'd probably have left tupac on the list, with the qualifier (socially conscious material)

I actually initially wasn't sure whether the 'purists' in the title was referring to us (as it turned out to be) or the music (eg 'conscious' hip-hop).

dr. zooeuss said:
for a personal example, i'd probably have left tupac on the list, with the qualifier (socially conscious material)

If there is anybody in rap who does NOT need any kind of qualifier, it is Mr. Tupac Shakur.

DaveC said:

If there is anybody in rap who does NOT need any kind of qualifier, it is Mr. Tupac Shakur.

you have every right to believe that, and i have every right to disagree.

if it were rap in general, i'd agree for the most part, but that list seems to be picking out acts with a certain mentality and not all of his lyrics fit with it.

"Brenda's Got a Baby," "Keep Ya Head Up," "Changes," Dear Mama" are all incredible songs.

His gangsta influenced work seems to be exactly against the purpose of the list, though, imo..

I think I can rap a good chunk of Paul's Boutique from memory. :shifty: I've listened to that album waaaaaaaay too much. :lol:

Madlib / Quasimoto / Madvillian alone can keep me entertained for many days

The return of Lord Quas is one of my top 15 albums in any genre :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom