Hip-Hop Purists - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #256
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:28 PM
For sure. I guess as a self-proclaimed hip-hop head, when I see the title, I immediately comprehend the types of artists it's meant to discuss. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't get off track—like every other thread on here—but, on the whole, I think it's stayed pretty true to the title.

I suppose that means we should make a "YEAAHAAHHH LIL WYANE IZ THA SHITTTT BSET RAPPER EVARRRRR!!!111!!!!11!" thread for people to discuss other stuff in, huh?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #257
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:28 PM
Do we have people that want to discuss that kind of thing?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #258
ONE
love, blood, life

"I stole your couch and took your truck to move it with"

Old 12-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #259
45:33

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout...
In spite of the fact that my year end list is like 80% asshole, obscure shit, I feel the need to point out that Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty came in at number one. Jesus, that record!
I. Love. You.

Get the south dick up your mouth!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #260

By the way, "like" Big Boi on facebook, cos there's a youtube link they just posted on his page where he's talking about 3000's solo joint and the next Outkast album.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #261
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 12-22-2010, 02:48 AM   #262

here are the videos i was referring to.

YouTube - Big Boi talks New Album, Andre 3000 Solo Project, New Outkast Album + More

i can't watch it because my younger sister spent all yesterday watching episodes of some shit kids show on youtube and it won't load.

and apparently here he talks about marriage, where Organized Noise rate as a production crew, developing artists like Monae, etc, and new shit in the pipeline. (Goodie Mob album!)

YouTube - Big Boi (Outkast) Talks Bush, Kanye, Organized Noize, Movies + Marriage
Old 12-23-2010, 05:12 AM   #263
The Male

Local Time: 04:28 PM
Every regular in this thread probably knows about it already, but I can assure you all that the new Ghostface record is essential. 40 minutes of soulful beats and skillful lyricism, no skits or other bullshit.

There are terrific guests though; this one is essentially a Wu-Tang track:

YouTube - Ghostface Killah - Troublemakers (Apollo Kids)

Now.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:26 AM   #264

You know I couldn't name a Wu Tang song. Is this a 2011 album?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #265
The Male

Nope, came out Tuesday.

Now.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #266
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

Echoing that "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee." March 8th cannot come soon enough.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #267
Blue Crack Distributor

You bumping the thread reminded me I meant to post in here today.

I have heard The Chronic.

Should I say more?

Edit: I was mostly just kidding with that, but I felt kind of like a dick after a few minutes of thought.

As I've tried to get more into hip hop and past the shit I hear from the genre on the radio, I've discovered that there are a great many things about the genre I do enjoy quite a bit. I think I've driven Travis insane the last few days because for some reason I won't shut up about how much I love Straight Outta Compton. It didn't help that yesterday VH1 showed a marathon of their top 100 Hip Hop songs, which was a fun watch, but mostly a rather predictably old school list. So, I decided that I would finally listen to The Chronic since "Nothing But a 'G' Thang" was #3 on the list, and because I felt inadequate for having not heard the album.

The end result was that I found the music incredible, which doesn't come as a huge surprise (without me looking too far into it) since that was my favorite thing about Straight Outta Compton as well, and I'm assuming Dre was responsible for the sound of both? But, I just wasn't so into the lyrical content, especially when it felt like the first three songs were simply plugs for Dre's new label.

Maybe if I were to give it further listens, I'd get more out of it, but all I felt from the LYRICS on this first listen was that it was all about Dre being from Compton...again.

I don't mean to be no fun or anything, I can tell why this album is so beloved. I was having a great time where the beats were concerned, but I just couldn't get past the raps themselves.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #268
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
You bumping the thread reminded me I meant to post in here today.

I have heard The Chronic.

Should I say more?

Edit: I was mostly just kidding with that, but I felt kind of like a dick after a few minutes of thought.

As I've tried to get more into hip hop and past the shit I hear from the genre on the radio, I've discovered that there are a great many things about the genre I do enjoy quite a bit. I think I've driven Travis insane the last few days because for some reason I won't shut up about how much I love Straight Outta Compton. It didn't help that yesterday VH1 showed a marathon of their top 100 Hip Hop songs, which was a fun watch, but mostly a rather predictably old school list. So, I decided that I would finally listen to The Chronic since "Nothing But a 'G' Thang" was #3 on the list, and because I felt inadequate for having not heard the album.

The end result was that I found the music incredible, which doesn't come as a huge surprise (without me looking too far into it) since that was my favorite thing about Straight Outta Compton as well, and I'm assuming Dre was responsible for the sound of both? But, I just wasn't so into the lyrical content, especially when it felt like the first three songs were simply plugs for Dre's new label.

Maybe if I were to give it further listens, I'd get more out of it, but all I felt from the LYRICS on this first listen was that it was all about Dre being from Compton...again.

I don't mean to be no fun or anything, I can tell why this album is so beloved. I was having a great time where the beats were concerned, but I just couldn't get past the raps themselves.
Yep, Dre's responsible for the production of both, along with DJ Yella on Straight Outta Compton (but he just did scratches and stuff). I won't argue with you about the lyrical content...Dre's never been known as a rapper, and regardless, the gang/neighborhood/lifestyle rap stuff can get tedious.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #269
Blue Crack Distributor

Is that what you guys mean when you say production? I know there was a conversation about this (I think in this very thread) but at the time, for one reason or another, I wasn't paying attention.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #270
Blue Crack Addict

Hip-hop producers assemble and create beats, yes. They are responsible for making the song sound as it does. It's a different beast than producing in other genres, without a doubt.

Tags
hip hop