Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The front cover alone made me livid. Oh look, I get to sit around and smoke weed and have sex with beautiful women, but fuck, my life sucks so much.
And yet I love '808s + Heartbreak.' I guess actual artistry makes all the difference.

Right now I'm listening to a leak of "Lighters" from the Bad Meets Evil "Hell:The Sequel" EP. Bruno Mars is on this track along with Eminem and Royce Da 5'9". I like it. I like it A LOT. Long-time Em fans might bitch that it's a softer, more commercial sound than the early Slim Shady days, but I like it.

Bono has been quoted as saying something about hip-hop having more energy than rock, and these days, I know what he means. After decades of listening to rock, it's good to listen to a genre that sounds fresh and new to me.

I wish I had the money to get to one of the festivals where Eminem is playing; I'd rather see him for the first time than see U2 for the 11th time playing basically a greatest hits show. "Recovery" has joined "London Calling" and "Achtung Baby" as one of my favorite albums of all time. And it's fun to see Eminem fans get as excited about leaks of the upcoming EP as U2 fans get when we hear new music from Bono and his buds.

cobl04 said:
I never listened to that album because I hated Love Lockdown passionately.

Really? Great track. The outro is an excellent example of the 808 drums Kanye uses regularly on the album.

Speaking of Eminem again, he absolutely destroys Jay-Z on this track (and I think Jigga is great on this song!), one of my favourite hip-hop tunes.

YouTube - ‪Renegade Jay Z & Eminem‬‏

My love for Jay-Z has tempered slightly since the U2 shows (he's still far and away the best live hip hop act I've seen - and that was with an understandably apathetic crowd. but Big Boi will change that). I don't enjoy him in large doses like I do my favourites.

And if you think his verse on Monster is "limp-dick" as Impy once put it, check him out no this track:

YouTube - ‪Jay-z - Momma Loves Me‬‏

Absolute rubbish start to the first verse.

Actually, the reason for my lurking was to see people's thoughts on 'Goblin.' I think OneBlood was the big OF backer around here.

For me, 'Goblin' is almost perfectly mediocre. 5 great tracks, 5 meh tracks, and 5 awful tracks (interestingly, two non-album tracks, "Burger" and "Steak Sauce," are better than the majority of the album tracks).

For a long time, I was not buying into the Odd Future hype, but 'Yonkers' made me believe there was some potential. Unfortunately, that's the best song on the album (still, killer tune). What's kind of maddening is how the album doesn't live up to the promise of 'Yonkers' and the (admittedly awesome looking) live clips I've seen.

Agreed. I really wanted to like it, but not even Tyler's remarkably strong, charismatic persona could push this weak material over the top. The lyrics are the element that will be endlessly dissected, and they just aren't worth the effort: I'm not offended by them in the slightest, but there's only so far one can expound on "fuck you," and by track 5 or so, the album seems the devolve into some knockoff Eminem shit I couldn't care less about. However, the title track is meta genius, Yonkers is obviously good, and the beats throughout are atmospheric as hell. Not great, mind, but they give the record's running story a distinct mood.

Overall, it's a creative record, but I'm not sure there's much depth beyond Tyler's surface. The punchlines aren't anything special either, so I don't find much of this album particularly funny. I'm not sure what use this album has...especially since Kanye's Twisted Fantasy, which is similarly naked and borderline frightening, has true artistry and weight behind it. He has a long way to go if he's going to be more than the l'enfant terrible of alternative hip-hop, and that label does not age well. Also, please cut the fucking banal disclaimers. You're either fucked in the head or you're not: don't ruin the illusion.

If you want to wallow in filth that's musically far ahead of anything here, check out House of Balloons by the Weeknd. Dark as fuck, unsettling, and also quite catchy. Excellent R&B.

I've soured on it a bit. She & Nightmare are the best tracks, Yonkers & Sandwitches are great, and Goblin, Her, Tron Cat and the instrumental are decent.

Pitchfork were raving yesterday about an album by some bloke from NY who supposedly sounds a lot like Ghostface Killah. 8.1. I'm gonna check it out

Cobbler, have you listened to Big KRIT's ReturnOf4Eva yet? He makes one hell of a hook out of 4eva? 4evaeva?? 4EVAEVA???, and the album gives me some early 'Kast vibes in general. It's far too long, but there aren't any crap tracks, and it seems right in your wheelhouse.

YouTube - ‪Big K.R.I.T. - Dreamin | Returnof4eva.com‬‏

Also, let me know if Dr. Lecter is any good. Seemed cool, but you can only listen to so much.

For some reason the title of this thread bugs me each and every time it's bumped.

When I think of hip hop "purists", I think of people who post on U2 fan forums.

maybe if he'd used "legends" instead of "purists" it would be better.

Cobbler, have you listened to Big KRIT's ReturnOf4Eva yet? He makes one hell of a hook out of 4eva? 4evaeva?? 4EVAEVA???, and the album gives me some early 'Kast vibes in general. It's far too long, but there aren't any crap tracks, and it seems right in your wheelhouse.

YouTube - ‪Big K.R.I.T. - Dreamin | Returnof4eva.com‬‏

Also, let me know if Dr. Lecter is any good. Seemed cool, but you can only listen to so much.

I haven't, though rest assured I absolutely will. Will report back on Dr Lecter too. Just downloaded Oneirology.

Hadn't heard anything by DJ Quik, but I listened to his Book of David record today. Pretty alright; predictably great beats from a DJ's album, but lacking strong rhymes or flow. It was OK in that regard, but overly materialistic and misanthropic. I enjoyed the record because, yeah, I do primarily listen to hip-hop for the beats, but I felt it could have been better.

This instrumental hidden track sums up the highlights of the album nicely:

YouTube - ‪DJ Quik - Quik's Groove 9‬‏

Oh wow, Weekend At Burnie's is fuckyeah. Great flow, deep, funky beats, solid lyrics, taut runtime...damn, it's got it all. Curren$y is going to be one of my favorite hip-hop artists shortly, I believe.

Yeah, pretty much, at least a couple a year on average. His two Pilot Talk albums are my favorites, along with the collab he did with Wiz Khalifa called How Fly, which was recorded before Wiz lost the little lyrical appeal he had.

Listened to Tical 0: The Prequel today. It's nothing more than okay. Mate is a big fan of Meth and lent it to me. Would have preferred it was Tical, which I haven't heard but read is very good. My mates don't understand that you can't grab any old album when shopping for music by an artist you're getting into.

Or maybe I'm to methodical.

:wink:

Finally listening to Idlewild, for completion's sake. The first four or so minutes have been 80% hater rap. Defensiveness is seldom a good thing.

Nice to hear Andre rapping, however infrequently.

Yeah, there's like 6 kickass songs there and the rest was Andre trying his best to shove his head up his own ass, to no avail.

That being said, Big Boi was on the ball, and I really like the genre they chose to rape, so I had fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom