Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cobl04 said:
Although I must be in the minority, I actually reckon Dre's a pretty awesome MC.

I want to respect your opinion here, but I just don't even know. One of the least charismatic MCs I've ever heard.

I think that's just a question of age, as I doubt you'd be able to find a single person near my age who prefers Eminem to Dr. Dre.
Finding people near my age who even like Eminem at all would not be easy either.

But, if you're looking at rapping ability, there's no way that any sane person can say that Dre is better than Eminem. People may like Dre's personality more (understandable, as Eminem is quite abrasive), but speaking about ability, there's no comparison there.

P.S. I know two people well over your age who genuinely enjoy Eminem and think he's a genius of his art form.

Oh I agree with that. At least when he was in his prime, anyway. I just love quite a number of Dre's verses. His in Real Niggaz Don't Die is one of my favourite ever.

You do realize that Dre has a majority of his verses written for him, right? At least Eminem writes his own shit and can do so off the dome, as evidenced by his freestyle championship achievements.

And, have you heard "I Need a Doctor" yet? Eminem rips Dre's fucking face off in that song. I'm not going to lie and say that he never makes missteps (because every artist does, even your beloved Outkast...Idlewild anyone?), but seriously, Eminem is still a lyrical genius.

Case in point, a freestyle from the Recovery era: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRT-GJorpss

I shouldn't try and argue with you. :wink:

I didn't realise. I have heard Need a Doctor and agree Eminem is better. I think I just lost respect for him with some of the rubbish he's put out in the past few years.

And with regards to my beloved Outkast... yes. Idlewild is a turd.

I've never liked Eminem that much, even when he was at his best. Based on Marshall Mathers LP, Eminem Show and Relapse, I consider him occasionally brilliant, but too self-absorbed; he's definitely more into flipping off his "haterz" than I would like. I hate that shit. I get the appeal of his Slim Shady persona, the crazy-ass motherfucker, but it feels vestigial to me, in a way. Like something I grew out of ages ago in the same way that none of us find Marilyn Manson intimidating anymore. And, personally, I've always felt his beats were really cheesy, definitely lacking the weight of the jazzy east coast stuff I usually listen to, at the risk of sounding like a pretentious asshole. Kanye can get away with his forays into navelgaze because his beats are brilliant...sometimes I wonder if Eminem even cares.

And I actively hate him now that he's become a waffling caricature, constantly changing direction based on whatever his fans claim to want. Tired of stupid joke rap? Check out his new disc Relapse! Dislike the amount of celebrity slaughter on Relapse? Eminem heals up and reveals his emotions on Recovery! Oh, you find that totally lame? We'll see what we can do. Ugh. Grow a pair.

I definitely used to love him. Marshall Mathers LP deserves all the plaudits it gets and The Eminem Show had a lot of great tracks. Stan, Without Me and Purple Pills stand as three of the very best singles of the decade in my view, Fight Music was a great song as well. Then you've got his guest appearances here and there. But it was around the time of Encore/Ass Like That that I lost all interest in him.

Every Eminem album has a great track or three, but I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to 70 minutes of him. Stan, My Name Is, Guilty Conscience, Cleaning Out My Closet, and Sing For The Moment are exceptions I can think of offhand, although there are plenty more of them.

Same. Though I'm very ashamed to say I slip into the censored version when I sing it (climbed highest mountain, seen so many faces) more often than not cos it's the version I heard most often.

I do love all of the aforementioned songs, but another favorite that rarely gets mentioned (probably because it features Em in an introspective moment) is "If I Had" from The Slim Shady LP.

YouTube - ‪Eminem- If I Had (w/ Lyrics)‬‏

And, Travis, I know we've talked about rappers being too self-absorbed before...I don't know, maybe I'm a lot more forgiving of the genre because that aspect was a building block to the genre, but I'm still curious about rappers you enjoy who aren't obsessed with themselves?

onebloodonelife said:
And, Travis, I know we've talked about rappers being too self-absorbed before...I don't know, maybe I'm a lot more forgiving of the genre because that aspect was a building block to the genre, but I'm still curious about rappers you enjoy who aren't obsessed with themselves?

Ha, I do remember discussing this with you! Kid Cudi was the example that day, because he's emo. That does bother me, but I don't mind rappers talking about themselves as long as they're not bitchy about it. Rapping about how much ass you kick? Awesome. Rapping about how much other people hate you? Couldn't care less, tbh.

Ha, I do remember discussing this with you! Kid Cudi was the example that day, because he's emo. That does bother me, but I don't mind rappers talking about themselves as long as they're not bitchy about it. Rapping about how much ass you kick? Awesome. Rapping about how much other people hate you? Couldn't care less, tbh.

Ahhhh, ok. Thanks for explaining! That makes a lot more sense, and on the whole, I agree with you. :up:

I rather liked Man on the Moon but hated Pt. II. I guess I prefer my emo rap whining about pre-fame.
EDIT: I did like 'Ghost'

The front cover alone made me livid. Oh look, I get to sit around and smoke weed and have sex with beautiful women, but fuck, my life sucks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom