Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Essential Wu-Tang and Wu-Tang-related albums:

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The 36 Chambers
Method Man - Tical
ODB - Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
Raekrown - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...Pt. II
GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
Method Man & Redman - Blackout!
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep

Holy crap, Cobbler. You post in this thread and haven't heard C.R.E.A.M.? Bring Da Ruckus? Protect Ya Neck? What the hell, man.

I'm on broken record mode now because this is probably the 5th time I've posted this on the site, but Protect Ya Neck is my favorite hip hop song ever.

Get on it, cobbs.

tumblr_lhvo8qjIfv1qabzkfo1_250.gif

Heard bits and pieces of Lasers today. I'll have to give it a proper spin, as it was on in a mates car and I couldn't hear it that well, but it didn't seem that bad. Some ordinary songs. Show Must Go On is pretty great. But I haven't heard any of his other albums, so maybe it pales in comparison, and that's the problem.

Heard bits and pieces of Lasers today. I'll have to give it a proper spin, as it was on in a mates car and I couldn't hear it that well, but it didn't seem that bad. Some ordinary songs. Show Must Go On is pretty great. But I haven't heard any of his other albums, so maybe it pales in comparison, and that's the problem.

"Pales" is a light way of putting it. Don't sell yourself short by truly introducing yourself to Lupe with Lasers. Get Food & Liquor and The Cool; they're both well-worth the download/purchase (whichever floats your boat :wink: ).

Listened to Taliban Kweli's Gutter Rainbows today. It's pretty good. Plenty of good tracks - the title track, Cold Rain, Tater Tot, Palookas (sounds like a Mario character). He reminds me of Jay-Z a bit. But there's something I don't like that I can't quite put my finger on... it might be his vocals. They lack character, they sound quite bland and ordinary at times.

How to ruin a Tupac classic in five minutes:

YouTube - Tupac - Changes (Cover)

one perplexing comment:

This is where I'll be flamed. I'm white, so keep that in mind.
While I understand that a YouTube comment can't change an entire people's view on a word, the fact is that the word "******" carries no weight as a racist term outside of a small percentage of otherwise judgmental and discriminate people.
I harbor no hate or ill-will towards anyone, regardless of race or creed, and to be disallowed use of a word due to my skin is racism in itself.

Streets ahead:

Taking Air Conditioner Repair, so you can get a job

Enter The Wu-Tang, so yeah this was pretty great. Though I kind of lost a little love for it after a little while, it felt a bit repetitive. The interviews were AWESOME. This was one of the few times I've really enjoyed the skits/extra stuff. C.R.E.A.M. is an awesome song. Surprised I didn't know ANYTHING on this though. I thought I at least knew "Protect Ya Neck".

But my favorite part had to be the very end when the interviewer asked them what their style was and that film clip played. For some reason that cracked me up, hard core.

Have you heard any Wu-Tang yet? A badass like Big Boi would rather you get educated than go to one of his gigs.

Or maybe I'm just jealous.

36 Chambers is downloading as we speak.

I think you're just jealous. Full band. I've been going over scenarios in my head. Like a baby starts crying and then Cool Breeze and Backbone come out and they do Slump. Or Sleepy Brown and 3000 come out and they close with SpottieOttie.

Any which way, it ends with me having a brain aneurysm.

Ya'll playaz out there didn't think we'd come back at ya'll with this one right here, but it uh, it goes a little something like DIS.

442 posts into this thread (48 of which are my own) I've finally listened to 36 Chambers.

holy shit it's good. The production isn't what I was expecting, it's certainly old-school but it's much more lo-fi than I envisaged (though reading on wiki that's because they had no money). I recognised RZA straight away, from So Appalled. It's a shame he doesn't rap more verses on this album, I reckon he's a brilliant MC. (And who's the guy that sounds like Nas?) My favourite tracks were Bring Da Ruckus, Shame on a Nigga, 7th Chamber, Can it All Be So Simple, Ain't Nothin to Fuck With, C.R.E.A.M., Protect Ya Neck and 7th Chamber pt II. Sooooo pretty much the whole album. :lol:

I was always scared of Wu-Tang as a kid. I'd never heard a song of theirs, until now, but the band name, Ghostface Killah and some of the images of the band I saw scared me to death.

I fucking love hip-hop.

I definitely assumed all of my life they were a...I don't know the word I'm looking for here. Hard Core/Gangster rap? That doesn't feel dark enough. I definitely thought they wrote really heavy music though.

I like the new Beastie Boys album a great deal, very entertaining. Won't win any new fans, but I assume anyone who already is will love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom