Hip-Hop Purists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to listening to Straight Outta Compton. It's good. Very good. There's barely a bad song on it, and the "other" 10 tracks don't pale in comparison to the opening trio (which must be right up there in terms of best album opening tracks ever).

I listened to it again recently, and while I still enjoy it I can't believe how bad the lyrics are on most of the album.

The Sad Punk said:
I listened to it again recently, and while I still enjoy it I can't believe how bad the lyrics are on most of the album.

The one criticism I have is that it's a pretty homogenous record, and you're right, the lyrics are of their time, I think (if thats what you meant). When people look back on it I think they'll see a reaction to what was going on at the time, not so much an album that still has total relevance today.

I finally got around to listening to Straight Outta Compton. It's good. Very good. There's barely a bad song on it, and the "other" 10 tracks don't pale in comparison to the opening trio (which must be right up there in terms of best album opening tracks ever).

While I enjoy some of the "other" tracks (8 Ball, I Ain't Tha 1, Dopeman), some of them are just awful (Something 2 Dance 2, Quiet on the Set).

I even kinda like 'Express Yourself,' though it's positive message rings completely false in the context of the album. It was clearly a bid for airtime (it has no cussing), and it actually sort of worked; it's the only NWA video I've seen played on MTV. Also love the irony of Dre rapping "I don't smoke weed."

Agree that the opening trio is among the best ever; those songs are flat out revolutionary and still rank among hip hop's greatest. I do think that hurts the rest of the songs on the album, which I'd grade overall as average. But those first three solidified 'Straight Outta Compton' as a landmark, in much the same way that Anarchy in the UK/God Save the Queen/Pretty Vacant certified the legacy of the Sex Pistols (tho I think Never Mind the Bollocks is a stronger album as a whole).

Going to see the Diplomats, tonight. So fucking pumped.

Dipset-ByrdGang-Logo-psd3176.png

Shouter, I can't even imagine the level of your excitement right now. Have a fucking awesome time!

If I don't get the chance to piss or spit on somebody, I'm going to have had a disappointing evening. No homo, B.

Fact: yelling "Free Earl" at a party will be misconstrued as yelling "Free Bird" and will result in drunk nostalgics putting on Lynrd Skynyrd.

It was 3+ hours of some heinous DJ, 30 minutes of some dumb-ass named GLC who claimed to be from the South Side, and then solo sets by Jim Jones (courageously awful, and eventually, if lightly, booed), Juelz (sounded really good doing "his" tracks from the Cam'ron records), and Killa, who was both a little bit heavier-set (same goes for Juelz) than in the old days and in solid form.

After that, they all got together and did a run-through of the big Dipset (ie, Cam'ron) tracks that put them on the map--"Hey Ma," "Oh Boy," "Dipset Anthem," a scorching "More Gangsta Music," "Dipset Forever," etc.. Also did a solid version of "Salute," last year's reunion track. The Dipset songs were notable both for still being really great examples of the rare collision of the chipmunk soul aesthetic and hard-ass-core gangsta rap and for featuring Jim Jones standing around and doing nothing, because, in his own words, "Man, I ain't got no verses on these songs, man! Fuck? Yo, Cam, lemme get yours on the next one, right?"

Heard about it this morning. :shrug: Everybody's up in arms about it as if other major artists have never put out a bad track or a bad diss song. It happens.

I'll have to put it on my list, as I've had a couple people rave about it now.

Anybody checked out Big K.R.I.T.'s new (free!) album, Returnof4eva? Some fucking solid Southern hip-hop there. He's got a little bit of everything in terms of lyrical matter; he can go from conscious to braggadocio from song to song. Fans of Big Boi's album should take a look, as I think I've said before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c53AHClVhEw

Big L will always be one of the finest MCs to grace a mic. And cobbler, too bad you're not digging "Country Shit"...you're sleeping on a seriously versatile (in both sound and subject matter) MC who's going to be making a lot more noise in the months to come. Both of his albums have been free releases, so it's worth giving one or both a full listen.

Thanks for posting that, LM. I'd heard of Big L, but that's the first actual track of his I've listened to. Really like his style.

Also, randomly heard "How To Rob" over the weekend. Still such a great song. Too bad that dude stopped making good music, and became a huge caricature of himself and a big doofus.

Thanks for posting that, LM. I'd heard of Big L, but that's the first actual track of his I've listened to. Really like his style.

Also, randomly heard "How To Rob" over the weekend. Still such a great song. Too bad that dude stopped making good music, and became a huge caricature of himself and a big doofus.

clay-davis.jpg

I fucking love 50 Cent's early work, and it just so happens that he's been releasing some grimy fire freestyles that are similar to his older work. This is one of my favorites, "SMS Get the Message."

50 Cent – SMS Get the Message Freestyle | 2dopeboyz

Holy crap, Cobbler. You post in this thread and haven't heard C.R.E.A.M.? Bring Da Ruckus? Protect Ya Neck? What the hell, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom