Hip-Hop Purists - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #166
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:28 PM
You should get it. Cause I know you need more albums to buy.

I haven't heard Beat Konducta #3 and 4 yet. I've got #5 and 6, which are his tributes to J Dilla, and they're amazing too. Blunted in the Bomb Shelter is a fantastic reggae album of his too. Seriously, he's done so much, and it's all fantastic.

Oh! And I forgot, he did a collaboration album with Talib Kweli called Liberation. So good! That one was a free release online, I believe.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #167
She's the One

Local Time: 09:28 AM
I didn't like #5/6 as much as I wanted to.

But I'll think about Blue Note.

I also have WLIP AM: King of the Wigflip, which I remember liking.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

I haven't heard WLIP AM either. He has too many releases to keep up with.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #169
Blue Crack Addict

J Dilla: Greatest producer of all time.

YouTube - Pharcyde - Runnin

YouTube - J Dilla - Think Twice

YouTube - J Dilla - So Far To Go (Feat Common & D'Angelo)

YouTube - Q-Tip "Move"

And that's the realness.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

One of my favorite J Dilla-produced tracks:

YouTube - Common - The Light

I just listened to Donuts for the first time the other day, and I liked it. It needs a few more listens though. I've also got Ruff Draft and Welcome 2 Detroit on my plate. I've dug Champion Sound, with him and Madlib as Jaylib, and I really like Slum Village.

R.I.P. J Dilla
Old 04-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #171
Blue Crack Addict

YouTube - classified- Oh Canada

This guy's from Halifax. His new album is called Self-Explanatory, and it's his first major label release even though he's got about a dozen albums out on local labels (he's been around since he was in high school in Enfield). Produces and rhymes over his own beats, and there's even a track on this album where one of my army buddys raps a verse about the boot camp we went to.

If you see this in stores, check it out, I guarantee you will love it.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:19 AM   #172
The Male

Probably not worth bumping the thread over, but...

Madlib is absolutely fantastic, some of the best beats in the game. It helps that jazz-inflected hip-hop is one of my favorite sounds in music as a whole.

Can anyone here recommend to me some jazzy hip-hop (besides Tribe, they've already won me over) or possibly instrumental hip-hop? It's finals time, and I need something to chill/study to.

EDIT: Haha, just noticed Cassie wrote about Shades of Blue months ago. Oh well, verification of its awesomeness.

Now.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #173
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Can anyone here recommend to me some jazzy hip-hop (besides Tribe, they've already won me over) or possibly instrumental hip-hop? It's finals time, and I need something to chill/study to.

EDIT: Haha, just noticed Cassie wrote about Shades of Blue months ago. Oh well, verification of its awesomeness.
It's all good, glad you're enjoying Shades of Blue so much too. It's my favorite Madlib album.

As for recommendations, I know you're already into Madvillain and J Dilla. Have you heard Slum Village's early stuff? Fantastic Vol. 1 and Fantastic Vol. 2 both heavily feature Dilla producing, and in his somewhat more jazzy-era, versus the more Motown stuff he was doing on Donuts.

Since you're into A Tribe Called Quest (who are fucking incredible), I'd say to check out any of the other Native Tongues groups: Native Tongues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. They were one of the collectives most concerned with using jazz influences in their sampling and beats.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #174
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Can anyone here recommend to me some jazzy hip-hop (besides Tribe, they've already won me over) or possibly instrumental hip-hop?
De La Soul and Jurassic 5 instantly come to mind, if you aren't already into them both.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #175
45:33

Local Time: 04:28 AM
wasn't there a band who sampled Black Cow in one of their songs?

also, is The Streets' A Grand Don't Come For Free worth getting?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #176
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:28 AM
The shit I've been into lately is old school Wu-Tang. One of my friends used to have (36 Chambers) in constant rotation on the car CD changer, but I only realized how fucking awesome it is. Inspektah Deck's opening verse in Protect Ya Neck is probably my favorite thing in music right now.

YouTube - Wu-Tang Clan - Protect Ya Neck
YouTube - M.E.T.H.O.D. Man (original cut)
YouTube - Wu-Tang C.R.E.A.M (Music Vid)
Old 12-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #177
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
It's all good, glad you're enjoying Shades of Blue so much too. It's my favorite Madlib album.

As for recommendations, I know you're already into Madvillain and J Dilla. Have you heard Slum Village's early stuff? Fantastic Vol. 1 and Fantastic Vol. 2 both heavily feature Dilla producing, and in his somewhat more jazzy-era, versus the more Motown stuff he was doing on Donuts.

Since you're into A Tribe Called Quest (who are fucking incredible), I'd say to check out any of the other Native Tongues groups: Native Tongues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. They were one of the collectives most concerned with using jazz influences in their sampling and beats.
I would love to hear something like Donuts, but more fleshed out. That record (as well as Jay Get Paid, the other of his I've heard) is a thrill when you're not concerned so much with raps at the moment and just want some chill beats. I'll definitely check out Slum Village. Probably soon...I don't want a whole label dedicated to jazzy hip-hop swallowing up my time before I can get to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
De La Soul and Jurassic 5 instantly come to mind, if you aren't already into them both.
Quality Control is the big one I've been meaning to listen to, thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
wasn't there a band who sampled Black Cow in one of their songs?

also, is The Streets' A Grand Don't Come For Free worth getting?
Dunno about Black Cow, but De La Soul samples Peg in Eye Know and it's amazing.

And it is indeed. But it doesn't sound a damn thing like the hip-hop we're discussing, so keep an open mind.

Now.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #178
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I would love to hear something like Donuts, but more fleshed out. That record (as well as Jay Get Paid, the other of his I've heard) is a thrill when you're not concerned so much with raps at the moment and just want some chill beats. I'll definitely check out Slum Village. Probably soon...I don't want a whole label dedicated to jazzy hip-hop swallowing up my time before I can get to them.
Definitely agree, though I'm still warming up to Donuts, to be honest. I like Vol. 2: Vintage of Dilla's the most, of what I've heard. Not jazzy, per say, but a solid set of beats from 1995-1998. He's got so much work out there, it's hard to keep up.

Another artist I thought of for jazzy hip-hop was Oh No, who is Madlib's brother and also records for Stones Throw Records, probably my favorite hip-hop label, along with Rhymesayers.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #179
Blue Crack Addict

Also, not related to the jazz hip-hop discussion, this remix of Lil Wayne's "I Feel Like Dying" by Flying Lotus is fucking incredible. Check it:

YouTube - Flying Lotus - I Feel Like Dying

And, related to the jazz hip-hop, I'm listening to some J Dilla now, The Shining Instrumentals. Digging it, per usual for Dilla's stuff.

Here's one of my favorites so far from it:

Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #180
Blue Crack Addict

I know I posted it above, but they shot an amazing video for this song and just released it today. Shot on Granville St, in downtown Halifax. Many friends of mine were there and one or two actually made it into the video:

YouTube - Classified - "Oh... Canada" [Official Video]

Tags
hip hop