Has anyone on here heard of a band called Type O Negative? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 04:53 PM
Has anyone on here heard of a band called Type O Negative?

There is a band called Type O Negative, I'm not talking about the blood type. What is said about them on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_O_Negative

Quote:
Type O Negative is a heavy metal band from Brooklyn, New York City. Although commonly viewed as a gothic metal band, Type O has also incorporated elements of doom metal, thrash metal, hardcore, blues, punk rock/hardcore punk, alternative rock, and progressive rock into their work, and often describe their sound as Black Sabbath-meets-The Beatles, both of whose songs they have covered. Their dramatic lyrical emphasis on themes of romance, depression, and death, (usually in tongue-in-cheek black humor), has resulted in the nickname "The Drab Four" (in homage to The Beatles "Fab Four" moniker). The band went Platinum with 1993's Bloody Kisses, and has gained an enormous underground following with seven studio albums, two best-of compilations, and concert DVDs. Their most recent album is 2007's Dead Again.
I've always said that you can hear a huge influence from The Beatles in their music. They are one of my favourite bands and I prefer them to most other metal bands even Guns 'N' Roses. I've had friends who only like pop music but when they've heard me play them they said that they sounded great. I think this is because they are unlike most metal bands who thrash out guitar riffs at great speed and no recognizable song is heard. Type O Negative music is slow paced and actually very melodic.

Obviously I love the stuff they write themselves but they also do great cover versions of other people's songs, such as Niel Young's Cinneman Girl, Jimi Hendrix's Hey Joe (renamed Hey Peter as Peter Steele is the lead singer), Seal's and Croft Summer Breaze and a Beatles medley. They even did a version of Britney's One More Time! I even prefer their version of Paranoid to the original. I think they should do a cover of a U2 song. WGRYWH would be a good choice. They will put their own stamp on it and because Peter Steele is a deep bass voice it will make his interpretation different because his voice is very creepy whilst Bono's voice isn't creepy at all.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:53 PM
are they still around? i was never a fan.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:53 AM
I'd say most of us on here have heard of them. They're not really my speed.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
Refugee

Type O Negative is one of the funniest bands ever. They succeed at making quality goth-metal all while making fun of it at the same time.

"Loving you was like loving the dead!!!!"

Love this band, but i did lose interest in them after World Coming Down album. That said, the albums Bloody Kisses and October Rust are phenomenal, and their first album Slow Deep and Hard contains some of the funniest lyrics i've ever read. Check out "Unsuccessfully Coping With The Natural Beauty of Infidelity" for proof of that. With lines like "Inserted that diaphragm before you left" and "practicing freelance gyneocology" followed by the chorus "I know you're fucking someone else" "HE KNOWS YOU'RE FUCKING SOMEONE ELSE" - hilarious shit.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:53 AM
I saw them live once. I wanted to shoot myself.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
I saw them live once. I wanted to shoot myself.
i saw messhugah live one time and felt that way. i have a feeling type o negative would be somewhere along the same lines.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 08:53 AM
I've heard the name of the band tossed around but never heard any of their music.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:23 AM
i luurved type O about hmm 15 yrs ago . pete steele did things for me bloody kisses and october rust are great albums, world comming down wasnt so good, never got to see them tour here, but if they came down i would. (if they are still around) Check out my girlfirends girlfriend for some lulz.

they go in my secret box of love for the slightly weird with Marylin manson
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
[quote=ozeeko;6168846
Love this band, but i did lose interest in them after World Coming Down album. That said, the albums Bloody Kisses and October Rust are phenomenal, and their first album Slow Deep and Hard contains some of the funniest lyrics i've ever read. Check out "Unsuccessfully Coping With The Natural Beauty of Infidelity" for proof of that. With lines like "Inserted that diaphragm before you left" and "practicing freelance gyneocology" followed by the chorus "I know you're fucking someone else" "HE KNOWS YOU'RE FUCKING SOMEONE ELSE" - hilarious shit.[/quote]

I kind of lost interest in them around this time as well, but the other day I came across something about them on the internet where people were discussing how comes we rarely hear good bass singers anymore and someone mentioned Peter Steele. I suppose because I listen to a lot of Barry White who's supposed to have had the deepest bass voice ever Peter's voice always seemed more like a barritone to me because it's not that low. So I just fancied playing some of their stuff. But I have seemed to have lost World Coming Down when I was a student

Their lyrics are supposed to be tongue in cheek but I thought that if I posted one of their video's from YouTube I would get in trouble because of the content. I could've posted one of their cover versions but it's not the same as hearing one of their own songs.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 PM
YouTube - Type O Negative My Girlfriend's Girlfriend