Has any band ever started to suck again after they recovered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RHCP have been boooooooooooring since One Hot Minute. 'Warped' off that album was the last thing they've done that I've liked. Everything else is just a snoozefest, wannabe "rock"/really the stuff for which elevator speakers were designed.

One Hot Minute? really? Isnt that generally considered the album where they really started to shit the bed?

you just like shouting "FUCK DA POLICE!" at concerts, admit it :wink:

It was fun. :yes:

It would have been more fun if Snoop had passed that joint my way, though.

Seriously, I loved the whole show. You'd have had to be a big grump not to enjoy that show.

Anthony Kiedis sucks. The rest of the band is good.

I still like him even if he sucks. He has great energy and he's fun to watch, and live, he almost even sounds good. Almost, especially with a contact high from Snoop.

Bruce had a kind of sucky 1990s. and Tom Joad doesn't belong in the same sentence as Nebraska (imo, his best album).

i know someone will come in and say that, in many ways, Born in the USA is clearly the low point of his astonishing 1975-1987 run, at least artistically. sure, much of the album is dated, but what i love about it is that it's as if he's said, "hooks? you want some fucking hooks? fine, here are some hooks, now kiss my ass and my 6 Top 10 singles."

Bruce had a kind of sucky 1990s.

i know someone will come in and say that, in many ways, Born in the USA is clearly the low point of his astonishing 1975-1987 run, at least artistically. sure, much of hte album is dated, but what i love about it is that it's as if he's said, "hooks? you want some fucking hooks? fine, here are some hooks, now kiss my ass and my 6 Top 10 singles."

Although dated in parts (specifically Dancing In The Dark), BITUSA still has universal acclaim. I think it keeps up his amazing run through that period.

But yes, the 90's? Not so good. Human Touch and Lucky Town should have been combined into one album, and Tom Joad, while containing some very good songs, is just not strong enough all the way through.

Bruce had a kind of sucky 1990s. and Tom Joad doesn't belong in the same sentence as Nebraska (imo, his best album).

i know someone will come in and say that, in many ways, Born in the USA is clearly the low point of his astonishing 1975-1987 run, at least artistically. sure, much of the album is dated, but what i love about it is that it's as if he's said, "hooks? you want some fucking hooks? fine, here are some hooks, now kiss my ass and my 6 Top 10 singles."

:up:

It's pretty clear that 1986-2000 was a huge dip in quality from 1973-1985, but The Rising and Magic are pretty well-regarded. Working On A Dream sucks, but I don't think he's in a slump or anything right now. There are some solid tunes on that one as well, but I don't think his current direction plays to his strengths.

For the record, it's E Street Shuffle, Born To Run, and Nebraska to me, with everything else a distant second. Those three are classics.

Although dated in parts (specifically Dancing In The Dark), BITUSA still has universal acclaim. I think it keeps up his amazing run through that period.

But yes, the 90's? Not so good. Human Touch and Lucky Town should have been combined into one album, and Tom Joad, while containing some very good songs, is just not strong enough all the way through.

BITUSA is possibly my biggest nostalgia album -- i'll love it forever, even if i never, ever want to see another video from that period.

i'd also argue that The River would be better off as a single album, and Darkness on record is just a whisper of an indication of how good those songs are live.

i'm also realizing that it really is true: U2 has never had two sucky albums in a row. who else can we say that about?

:up:

It's pretty clear that 1986-2000 was a huge dip in quality from 1973-1985, but The Rising and Magic are pretty well-regarded. Working On A Dream sucks, but I don't think he's in a slump or anything right now. There are some solid tunes on that one as well, but I don't think his current direction plays to his strengths.

For the record, it's E Street Shuffle, Born To Run, and Nebraska to me, with everything else a distant second. Those three are classics.

don't forget Tunnel of Love. that was 1987. there's some dated production, but the second half is almost flawless.

i'm mildly sympathetic to WOAD. i find it pleasant.

don't forget Tunnel of Love. that was 1987. there's some dated production, but the second half is almost flawless.

i'm mildly sympathetic to WOAD. i find it pleasant.

True, I tend to forget that one. It doesn't have the huge singles of BITUSA and it isn't as infamous as Human Touch.

I don't like my Bruce Springsteen pleasant. It doesn't wear well on him. He's brilliant, but Queen Of The Supermarket is almost unforgivable.

but Queen Of The Supermarket is almost unforgivable.

i realize i'm well in the minority on this one, but i really like that one -- it's intentionally demented, and the joke sustains for the duration of the song.

i just wish that the narrator said that he, and not her smile, would "blow this whole fucking place apart."

then it would have been really brilliant.

I like Queen of the Supermarket... a lot actually

U2-How-To-Dismantle-An-Atomic-Bomb-Collectors-Edition-Del-2004-Delantera.jpg

Springsteen should just take his time and not release an album every 1 or 2 years. Magic was fairly decent, but Working on a dream is just boring imo.

Back
Top Bottom