Has any band ever started to suck again after they recovered? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #16
The Male

Local Time: 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Almost. Not only were these albums commercial successes, they were also "critical" successes. But, a wild guess says you couldn't give a shit either way, because you found them "creatively stagnant". It almost sounds like you listened to them when they first came out. But, alas, you didn't and I'm pretty sure you know why. Green came out in 1988 when you weren't even born and Out of Time came out when you were barely a part of this world. Sometimes, you just had to have been there. I was 15 and 18 respectively when those 2 albums came out, so I definitely remember the positive reception they received. I didn't read about it years later on the internet. I lived it while it was going down. There was no notable slump. There was only steady progression.

By the way, its a given that whatever you are saying is "your opinion". There's no need to type "IMO". We already know its your opinion. No need to remind us. Like I said, that's known as "a given". Just a little tip for you.
Fair enough. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that. I just find Document and Automatic far superior to the two albums in between. No biggie.

Whether or not I type IMO after every statement I make is completely irrelevant to whether or not the statements I make are my opinion. They just are. However, you seemed to be extraordinarily disturbed by my opinion, so I wanted to make it clear that it is, in fact, just that.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Fair enough. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that. I just find Document and Automatic far superior to the two albums in between. No biggie.

Whether or not I type IMO after every statement I make is completely irrelevant to whether or not the statements I make are my opinion. They just are. However, you seemed to be extraordinarily disturbed by my opinion, so I wanted to make it clear that it is, in fact, just that.
I got that it was your opinion. I wasn't "extraordinarily disturbed" by your opinion, but that is a pretty cool adverb. Anyway, I just slightly disagreed with your opinion, which you are definitely entitled to. I just wanted to give you a different perspective about those 2 particular albums' places in rock and roll history from someone who was actually there.

By the way, I do actually agree with you that Automatic and Document were better than Green and Out of Time, but those albums were pretty good too. Peace!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:29 AM
I really enjoy both Green and Out of Time and wouldn't call either record creatively stagnant. There's amazing work there. The creatively stagnant period of R.E.M.'s career came earlier this decade when all they could muster up was Reveal and Around the Sun.

I do agree with you though, LM, that Green and Out of Time aren't on par with Document and AFTP. Those are my two favorite R.E.M. LPs.

Mr. Pryck, you should join us in the voting in our R.E.M. Survivor contest we got goin on right now. It seems you know the band pretty well, and we need all the votes we can get! The more the merrier.

/salesman
Old 04-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #19
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
/salesman
/cockatoo

Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Walk out into the sunburst street and sing your heart out, Mr. Mac.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Mr. Pryck, you should join us in the voting in our R.E.M. Survivor contest we got goin on right now. It seems you know the band pretty well, and we need all the votes we can get! The more the merrier.

/salesman
I do actually participate in those from time to time. I love REM. I've seen them 3 times and they always put on a great show. The last time I saw them was last year and Michael sounded awesome. When Bill left, they had a tough time recovering, but even REM felt that Around the Sun was their worst effort since Bill left.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #22
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
I got that it was your opinion. I wasn't "extraordinarily disturbed" by your opinion, but that is a pretty cool adverb. Anyway, I just slightly disagreed with your opinion, which you are definitely entitled to. I just wanted to give you a different perspective about those 2 particular albums' places in rock and roll history from someone who was actually there.

By the way, I do actually agree with you that Automatic and Document were better than Green and Out of Time, but those albums were pretty good too. Peace!
And I appreciate the contrasting opinion. That's fine and dandy. Check out the recent pages of the Most Average Albums thread to see what the flipside of these disagreements can look like.

Definitely join us in the R.E.M. survivor when you find the time. Document is next, and I'm pretty stoked for that. Here's hoping we can rack up some record voting totals there.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #23
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Quote:
Walk out into the sunburst street and sing your heart out, Mr. Mac.
Thanks, I will.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 07:29 PM
Gee, I must be in the minority in that I like REM's Around The Sun a lot. I'd pick Reveal as their really crappy album. It is boring. The songs on Around The Sun are just that bit more lyrically hard hitting and topical.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Correct answer: both Up AND Around the Sun are crappy albums.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:29 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. From a band that was pretty decent in the late 80's/early 90's, they definitely came down with Aerosmith-syndrome:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post
R

e

d

h

o

t

c

h

i

l

i

p

e

p

p

e

r

s

!

!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

I kinda think they always sucked...
Old 04-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Eh, I've always had a soft spot for the Chili Peppers. I had an awesome time at the one show I saw. The band is fantastic and work their asses off, even if Anthony can't sing. Part of the fun, however, was because Snoop Dogg opened the show and I could not stop laughing. He and his on-stage entourage lit up joints and pretty soon I was joining in on a fist-pumping "fuck the police!" chant as the smell of marijuana wafted through the audience with the police just standing there helpless. This was also in marijuana-friendly Denver. The whole show was just a blast.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

RHCP have been boooooooooooring since One Hot Minute. 'Warped' off that album was the last thing they've done that I've liked. Everything else is just a snoozefest, wannabe "rock"/really the stuff for which elevator speakers were designed.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Anthony Kiedis sucks. The rest of the band is good.