Happy Birthday John Mayer - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Happy Birthday John Mayer

This lovely, talented singer, songwriter, guitar hero turns 30 today. Why don't we appreciate him?

Old 10-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:44 PM
Re: Happy Birthday John Mayer

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904
This lovely, talented singer, songwriter, guitar hero turns 30 today. Why don't we appreciate him?

He's always been great, but "Continuum" officially makes him a genius. I can't wait to hear more from him.

On a girly note, I never used to think he was that hot, but ever since he cut his hair and broke up with Jessica Simpson...Hot damn!! (i.e. the pic. you posted)

Old 10-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah, he's gotten better and better. I do love him as a musician first, though. I could watch him play for hours.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:44 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOHN!!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Don't know how many people care, but yesterday I was lucky enough to win four tickets to see Mayer do a taping for the Austin City Limits television program today. Two of them will be used by my girlfriend and I, and the other two are netting me a cool $500 (thanks, craigslist). It's at 3 pm, so I'm skipping a couple of my upper division classes for it. It's worth it, though. It's my first ACL taping I've attended after watching the television program for so many year, so I finally get to see that awesome studio and famous stage in person. Incidentally, it's my fourth time seeing Mayer live.

The ACL episode will air December 15.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
Don't know how many people care, but yesterday I was lucky enough to win four tickets to see Mayer do a taping for the Austin City Limits television program today. Two of them will be used by my girlfriend and I, and the other two are netting me a cool $500 (thanks, craigslist). It's at 3 pm, so I'm skipping a couple of my upper division classes for it. It's worth it, though. It's my first ACL taping I've attended after watching the television program for so many year, so I finally get to see that awesome studio and famous stage in person. Incidentally, it's my fourth time seeing Mayer live.

That's pretty cool.

I'm glad Mayer's songwriting is catching up to his musical ability. Songs like Gravity and Heart of Life almost make me forget about Your Body Is a Wonderland.

But not really.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Your Body Is a Wonderland.
:shudder: that is the only thing I can think about when I see John Mayer now...
Old 10-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:44 AM
It makes preteen girls cry with delight and buy more Mayer albums. Mission accomplished, Corporate America.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

That's pretty cool.

I'm glad Mayer's songwriting is catching up to his musical ability. Songs like Gravity and Heart of Life almost make me forget about Your Body Is a Wonderland.

But not really.
Don't forget "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room."
Old 10-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, oh, oh.

SMACK.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

That's so awesome! The first time I saw John Mayer was at the House of Blues and getting to watch the man work up close was a total treat. He's so talented and makes it look so fun and effortless.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:44 PM
we've got heads on sticks...
Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Well the KLRU studio is in one of our (UT's) Communication buildings is amazing. There are photos all over of all the acts that have graced that stage. The place reeks of musical history. Truly wonderful. I'm looking forward to hopefully catching more tapings there now that I sort of know how to get tickets.

The show was pretty good. Nothing but Continuum songs with the exception of two covers: Ray Charles' "I Don't Need No Doctor" and Tom Petty's "Free Fallin." I could have used a few of the older songs I really like such as Wheel or 3x5. His guitar work was, as usual, amazing. He's such a talent with that thing. I managed to catch a pick since I was in the middle the small standing area of about 30 people.

Afterwards, my girlfriend wanted to get our free program signed so we waited around, which was weird for me since I was one of two guys waiting. When he finally came out, he signed maybe six or seven things without much of a word before leaving. Considering there were, at best, 12 people waiting for a picture or an autograph, I think it was a bitch move. I might not feel that way if he didn't seem so smug, but it's not hard to jot down your name and smile a few times. Not wanting to get anything signed, I didn't really care, but a lot of those girls (including my girlfriend) were really disappointed. His stage persona seems drastically different to his real personality. I think all the Hollywood bullshit has got to him. No big deal, though. It makes me happier that I'm such a big fan of Jeff Tweedy and The National, because when I met them, they were humble, kind, funny, and genuinely interested in their fans.

Anyhow, this taping airs on December 15. Keep an eye out for yours truly.

And in the program, they said that the tapings by Wilco and Arcade Fire air on November 3 and 10, respectively. God I wish I got to go to one of those for my first ACL taping.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #14
Refugee

i like him, i like his music, but his head is hugely disproportionate to his body
Old 10-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Another year, another birthday for one of my favorite boys-with-guitar. Happy 31st!

Tags
john mayer