Guns N' Roses ~ "Use Your Illusion" on 1 CD... what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I was originally going to post this in the Chinese Democracy thread but I spent so much time on trying to create the perfect single CD that I want to shout it out from the rooftops of B&C, dammit! Even if this thread doesn't get many replies, I won't be upset because this was a satisfying exercise anyway! :wink: Okay I know I said single CD but I'm still gonna use Side A/Side B terminology. ;)

Use_Your_Illusion.jpg

Side A
1. Right Next Door To Hell
2. Dust N' Bones
3. Don't Cry
4. Bad Obsession
5. Double Talkin' Jive
6. November Rain
7. Dead Horse

Side B
1. Civil War
2. 14 Years
3. Breakdown
4. The Garden
5. Yesterdays
6. Estranged
7. You Could be Mine

Notes:
- First thing, this was really hard to do and I left out quite a few great songs in favor of more variety, band member contribution etc., although I had to cut Duff's So Fine. But Izzy is well represented.

- I tried changing the track order up a lot but in the end it seemed like the order GNR chose actually works on many songs. So I haven't fucked around with the order too much.

- I had to cut Coma. :( Great song but I just could not fit it in along with the other epics.

- Tried using a different song as opener. Garden Of Eden could have worked but still settled on Right Next Door To Hell. It has such an excellent intro and is the perfect 'kick the doors open' song like Welcome To The Jungle.

- I left Double Talkin Jive and November Rain as they are on the original album. They go great together as that acoustic guitar outro changes to the opening notes of the piano.

- 14 Years and Breakdown both deal with failed relationships and they sounded good to me one after the other. Had to cut Locomotive which pretty much deals with the same subject matter as Breakdown and is less melodic... not to mention, longer.

- Had to include The Garden with Alice Cooper! Possibly the most badass song on this album and it seems to fit fine with the Illusion II songs.

- Yesterdays lightens things up amidst all the hate and serious songs. But in the process I had to cut the other light rocker, So Fine. I like it but just not as much as Yesterdays.

- Estranged is the final epic before an Appetite style balls-out rocking closer in You Could Be Mine.

- Oh and I removed both the cover songs. Even though I enjoy both, especially Live And Let Die, there is simply no room for covers on an album with so much great original material!

Thoughts? I think I like this version of the album even more than Appetite. Feel free to post your versions and thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:
A good idea, and I've done this myself. Our tracklists have a LOT of variation, and if I'm not mistaken I posted it here at some point.

Anyway, I think Right Next Door to Hell is a pretty weak opener. Okay, it's upbeat, but it's rather slight. If you listen to You Could Be Mine, it is a PERFECT first song. Really cool build up and it rocks as good as anything on that album. I don't know why you think it works more as a closer, where I feel an epic fits better. Estranged is the best finale, which you seem to partially agree with, but YCBM takes away from it by following, in my opinion.

What I did was put Double Talkin' Jive as a little teaser opening before the real rocker, and how the spanish guitar contrasts with what comes before and after.

I can't believe you cut out Locomotive. Maybe one of the two or three best songs on the set. Who cares if it's thematically similar. Almost every song in music history is about either failed relationships, or beginning them.

I don't think the heaviness of The Garden is enough to make it album worthy. Not a great song.

Also have to take issue with your omission of Duff's song. This isn't a slight, Ringo Starr track. I think So Fine is one of the album's better tracks, and it shows a different side of the band. Essential.

I agree with cutting Coma, as there are too many epics, it being the least of them. My major, controversial move was leaving November Rain off the album as well. The reasoning is that it would be released as a separate, "Hey Jude"-esque single before the album even came out, accompanied by the epic video clip, etc. It just takes up too much room.

I also left off Garden of Eden (this was a fucking single?!), which doesn't do much for me. Maybe save it for a future "Gardens EP" with the Cooper song.

I agree with your feelings about the covers. Need to go.

You failed to mention that you had cut You Ain't the First, which I'm guessing probably seems like filler to you. But again, I like showing this country side of the band, and omitting it robs UYI of its amazing variety. I think Dead Horse is the Disc One track that needs to go.

Anyway, here's mine, for comparison's sake:

FUSE YOUR ILLUSION (shut up, you know this title rules)

Side A
1. Double Talkin' Jive
2. You Could Be Mine
3. Yesterdays
4. Don't Cry
5. 14 Years
6. Breakdown
7. Locomotive

Side B
8. Civil War
9. Dust 'n' Bones
10. Perfect Crime
11. Bad Obsession
12. You Ain't the First
13. So Fine
14. Estranged

Hidden track:
15. My World

I think my order takes a bit of the edge off the thing, but I wanted to focus on the progression and sophistication of the band.

laz, I do remember when you posted your tracklisting, cos I even listened to it in your suggested order. But I can't remember what thread it was in.

I think Right Next Door to Hell is a pretty weak opener. Okay, it's upbeat, but it's rather slight. If you listen to You Could Be Mine, it is a PERFECT first song. Really cool build up and it rocks as good as anything on that album. I don't know why you think it works more as a closer, where I feel an epic fits better. Estranged is the best finale, which you seem to partially agree with, but YCBM takes away from it by following, in my opinion.

:hmm: Oh man! You're gonna make me revisit my order now! lol. YCBM does make a kickass opener and Estranged makes a great closer! :hmm:

I don't think the heaviness of The Garden is enough to make it album worthy. Not a great song.

I have to disagree. I love that song too much! And the guitar work is pretty exhilarating! :drool:

Also have to take issue with your omission of Duff's song. This isn't a slight, Ringo Starr track. I think So Fine is one of the album's better tracks, and it shows a different side of the band. Essential.

Hmm... I do like So Fine. But there is only so much space on the album! Maybe I'll make another attempt at trying to fit it in.

My major, controversial move was leaving November Rain off the album as well. The reasoning is that it would be released as a separate, "Hey Jude"-esque single before the album even came out, accompanied by the epic video clip, etc. It just takes up too much room.

Yeah I see your point somewhat but no way am I leaving out fucking November Rain! lol. The album has to have all 3 classics, Don't Cry, Nov Rain and Estranged.

I also left off Garden of Eden (this was a fucking single?!), which doesn't do much for me. Maybe save it for a future "Gardens EP" with the Cooper song.

Haha I love ...Eden! Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I enjoyed it along with that wacky fish eye lens video. But I do enjoy the lyrics and that guitar solo too. It's not my problem, you can't stop it, rock n roll! :rockon: But anyway, I simply could not find space for it! I like your Gardens EP idea though.

You failed to mention that you had cut You Ain't the First, which I'm guessing probably seems like filler to you. But again, I like showing this country side of the band, and omitting it robs UYI of its amazing variety.

Yeah I guess it's different. Still seems like filler to me, cos he's anyway talking shit about his exes on every other song!

FUSE YOUR ILLUSION (shut up, you know this title rules)

:lol:!!

Okay, update! lol. :shifty:

Laz, you've convinced me to close the album with Estranged. However I'm not opening it with YCBM. I love Right Next Door To Hell too much to not include it and it does not fit anywhere else. The good thing is that YCBM follows RNDTH perfectly! It's like a 1-2 punch to open the album. And Dust n' Bones sounds good after YCBM. :up: Also, I'm ending side A with November Rain. You are correct about long epics being perfect closers. And I moved Dead Horse to side B. So now it looks like this:

Side A
2. You Could be Mine
3. Dust N' Bones
4. Don't Cry
5. Bad Obsession
6. Double Talkin' Jive
7. November Rain

Side B

1. Civil War
2. 14 Years
3. Breakdown
4. The Garden
5. Dead Horse
6. Yesterdays
7. Estranged

Yes. I'm definitely enjoying this order more. I tried to fit So Fine but there is just no way. :crazy: As for Locomotive, I love it too but Breakdown is even better IMO. And there is no way in hell that I can fit both without cutting some other essential out! Anyway, this only shows just how much great music these albums have! :love:

Okay, I'm all Illusioned out for tonight! :crack: I look forward to seeing more opinions on this though.

An admirable effort, but no Locomotive=FAIL.

That fucking piano breakdown near the end ("Love...so strange...") is one of the band's finest moments. It NEEDS to be on this album.

And yes, Amazon's combo album fails even more, by putting BOTH Don't Cry versions on there. WTF?!

Must've missed this over the weekend.

I've too always played around with these two albums. I have a playlist of the songs that I like, but it's too long to be condensed to one CD. But if I had to make it that length, it would probably be like this:

2. You Could Be Mine
3. 14 Years
4. Don't Cry
5. Double Talkin' Jive
6. November Rain
7. Locomotive

1. Civil War
2. Dust N' Bones
3. Yesterdays
4. You Ain't The First
5. Breakdown
6. So Fine
7. Estranged

Unfortunately, this keeps songs like Bad Obsession and Pretty Tied Up off (as well as Coma), but I can't remove any of the other epics. They are just too good.

1. 14 Years
2. Dust n Bones
3. You Aint the First
4. Double Talking Jive
5. Don't Damn Me
6. Dead Horse
7. Coma

1. Estranged
2. November Rain
3. Yesterdays
4. Breakdown
5. Civil War
6. You Could Mine
7. Don't Cry

I might try and come up with one later but I just wanted to give Laz some props for the title FUSE YOUR ILLUSION. I really like that.

I would do this, but I'm not really all that familiar with those albums. I know the singles and Locomotive. Oh, and Back Off Bitch, which I love.

Am I crazy, or does Axl not appear on Beaver's set on lead vocal until track 5? Four Izzy songs in a row?! I thought I liked the guy, but wow.

I also love how no one has included or mentioned Get In The Ring.

"Bob Guccione Jr. From SPIN? What, you pissed off because your dad gets more pussy then you? Fuck you! Suck my fucking dick!"

Okay, Axl. :no:

Am I crazy, or does Axl not appear on Beaver's set on lead vocal until track 5? Four Izzy songs in a row?! I thought I liked the guy, but wow.

I also love how no one has included or mentioned Get In The Ring.

"Bob Guccione Jr. From SPIN? What, you pissed off because your dad gets more pussy then you? Fuck you! Suck my fucking dick!"

Okay, Axl. :no:

Yeah, I like Izzy - wildly underappreciated. And I think the four Izzy songs as an "intro" give a metal/Wilco type vibe, and then it just rocks the fuck out.

Agreed with everyone who asked for Locomotive. I only wish it had "Coma".

Which, by the way, if anyone has this version in the iTunes format when you import your CD can you please send it my way? That one track is all scratched and it's really unlistenable and it's one of my favorite track on those albums. I do own that CD it's just that that one track is scratched.

cf_177@hotmail.com

Nothing Lasts Forever

1.Garden Of Eden
2.You Could Be Mine
3.Right Next Door To Hell
4.Locamotive
5.The Garden
6.Double Talkin' Jive
7.November Rain

1.Civil War
2.Don't Cry
3.Yesterdays
4.14 Years
5.Breakdown
6.Estranged
7.So Fine

Nothing Lasts Forever

1.Garden Of Eden
2.You Could Be Mine
3.Right Next Door To Hell
4.Locamotive
5.The Garden
6.Double Talkin' Jive
7.November Rain

1.Civil War
2.Don't Cry
3.Yesterdays
4.14 Years
5.Breakdown
6.Estranged
7.So Fine

Cool! I almost put Garden Of Eden on mine. And at the same position, as opener. Btw, I was wondering why you hadn't posted yet! :wink:

I'm somewhat surprised that Pretty Tied Up hasn't appeared on anyone's list. While it's not on mine either, I do like the song.

I like it too. But there are way too many good songs on these albums! :crack: It actually does not need to be condensed into one disc, IMO even though there is indeed some disposable material like My World or Get In The Ring.

Without checking, I doubt you could fit all that onto one CD, Beav.

I didn't read the rules, is there a cut off? I can drop out Don't Cry. Not really big on that one. Civil War could probably go too. What are the rules? Also, I have no desire to ever listen to November Rain again. Dead Horse is only good for about 45 seconds.

With those changes, do I qualify?

I didn't read the rules, is there a cut off? I can drop out Don't Cry. Not really big on that one. Civil War could probably go too. What are the rules? Also, I have no desire to ever listen to November Rain again. Dead Horse is only good for about 45 seconds.

With those changes, do I qualify?

lol. 1 CD = 80 min. Those are the only rules.

It actually does not need to be condensed into one disc

This is a good point. Before CDs, double albums usually only were about 40-50 minutes for each LP. It just trended longer due to the length of a CD. Something like The Wall, for example, is about that long for each disc.

So a more streamlined double album would've worked, too. For me, it would be:

Disc One:

2. You Could Be Mine
3. 14 Years
4. Don't Cry
5. Bad Obsession
6. Double Talkin' Jive
7. November Rain
8. Locomotive

Disc Two:

1. Civil War