Grizzly Bear - 'Veckatimest' - May 26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, I haven't. Thanks for reminding me. I love her voice, and Middle Cyclone took me by surprise. Just one of those records that boasts one great song after another, and her vocals carried it well into my top 10. I still find that 30 minute track inexplicable, however. :lol:

the crickets? yeah, that was strange...

I'm in the process of dowloading Veckatimest - Don't tell Scumbo :shh:

the crickets? yeah, that was strange...

I'm in the process of dowloading Veckatimest - Don't tell Scumbo :shh:

At least she had the decency to tack it on the end. Wilco did something similar on A Ghost Is Born, but it screwed up the flow. I choose to think of the crickets as a wry commentary on the perceived size of her audience, but maybe she just needed filler. :shrug:

I downloaded it too, but I'm buying this record. It's worth every penny.

At least she had the decency to tack it on the end. Wilco did something similar on A Ghost Is Born, but it screwed up the flow. I choose to think of the crickets as a wry commentary on the perceived size of her audience, but maybe she just needed filler. :shrug:

Filler sounds right, my only real complaint about the album is how short it is.

The album starts off truly great, but loses me with Daily Routine and Bluish. From there, it falls back on texture over tunes (I mean, is there anything in that second half as memorable as My Girls or Summertime Clothes? If there is, I can't hear it), and I just can't get into that. I don't love their sound quite enough to get lost in it. Still a very good record, just not up to this level IMO.

For the record, my current top 10 is as follows:

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
U2 - No Line On The Horizon
Passion Pit - Manners
Doves - Kingdom Of Rust
Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
The Horrors - Primary Colours
Super Furry Animals - Dark Days/Light Years
St. Vincent - Actor
P.O.S. - Never Better
Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career

With MPP at #11. Veckatimest pushed it down, just out of sight. :lol:

i'll have to check out St. Vincent and P.O.S.

i also suggest the new Boxer Rebellion album. yeah, it's kind of generic, but it's a good listen. i was also very, very surprised by the new Silversun Pickups.

The album starts off truly great, but loses me with Daily Routine and Bluish. From there, it falls back on texture over tunes (I mean, is there anything in that second half as memorable as My Girls or Summertime Clothes? If there is, I can't hear it), and I just can't get into that. I don't love their sound quite enough to get lost in it. Still a very good record, just not up to this level IMO.

For the record, my current top 10 is as follows:

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
U2 - No Line On The Horizon
Passion Pit - Manners
Doves - Kingdom Of Rust
Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
The Horrors - Primary Colours
Super Furry Animals - Dark Days/Light Years
St. Vincent - Actor
P.O.S. - Never Better
Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career

With MPP at #11. Veckatimest pushed it down, just out of sight. :lol:

Bluish is one of my favorite tracks from MPP, but I agree about the memorability of the second half of that album.

Love seeing P.O.S. in your top 10 of the year too! :up:

And, about to go listen to Veckatimest right now. :drool:

Yellow House was really boring and nondescript

Fail.

Also, "Bluish" is my favorite tune on MPP and the entirety of "Daily Routine" (especially the end) is exquisite. The second half of the record is also great. "Guys Eyes," "Taste," "Lion in a Coma," "No More Running," and "Brothersport?" Come on, they're all fantastic. "Also Frightened" is the album's weakest tune.

I don't get any of the comparisons Elfa made, I think he was just trying to look like a hipster. Damn Canadians.

Fail.

Also, "Bluish" is my favorite tune on MPP and the entirety of "Daily Routine" (especially the end) is exquisite. The second half of the record is also great. "Guys Eyes," "Taste," "Lion in a Coma," "No More Running," and "Brothersport?" Come on, they're all fantastic. "Also Frightened" is the album's weakest tune.

Agree with all your comments (except Bluish isn't my absolute fav. But I do love it)

I don't get any of the comparisons Elfa made, I think he was just trying to look like a hipster. Damn Canadians.

He doesn't even have an indie music hipster avatar. What a Canadian.

you racist bastard

I hear Fleet Foxes in the harmonies, there are some “Shinsy” pop melodies and a bit of Beta Band oddness…

I could have just said the album sounds like Zooropa B-Sides if that makes you happier :angry:

A few things from tonight:

1. I'm quite, shall we say, intoxicated, not so much tipsy anymore, but my more preferred thing...ANYWAY, listening to Veckatimest on the walk home at 2:30am was fantastic. Yellow House is such a nighttime album for me, and this one is no different. It's got the perfect atmosphere for it.

2. Thought of this a few days ago and forgot to post about it: I :heart: "Foreground," and I think I figured out why. It reminds me of the ending of For Emma, Forever Ago in the sense that it wraps up the album so succinctly and flawlessly, and it gives me that same sense of closure to the album. Could just be me though. :shrug:

3. Talked to a dude tonight about the "Two Weeks" music video and how semi-creepy, yet awesome it is.

I had a Grizzly Bear-filled night. :up:

i think the only song that i dislike from this album is "Dory". maybe it will grow on me though. it's a tough one to swallow at first.

I finally picked this up for $9.99 this morning. I'd already heard a lot of but this is my first time listening straight through. I love it.

I love it.

banana.gif

What are your favorite songs?

I got a copy of this on vinyl today, and apparently the first 5,000 copies receive a sweet 10" photo booklet w/ pics of the band out in the woods and of their equipment and stuff. It's gorgeous! :love:

banana.gif

What are your favorite songs?

It's too soon to say - I've only listened to it twice (I got suddenly ridiculously busy). But I can say I love Two Weeks and Fine for Now which I've been enjoying for awhile now.

My big lesson this year from Animal Collective & Grizzly Bear is that when bands I've heard of but never listened to play in a tiny little club in West Texas when I'm in town, as these two did 2 or 3 years ago, I guess I should go, huh?

The Grizzly Bears are in Austin tonight and it's sold out. Tickets going for $60 on the Craig List.

Lame.

THE GRIZ! were on Jimmy Fallon's show last night. They played "Cheerleader," a jam with the coveted Impy13 Seal of Approval. I can't find video of it since NBC hates providing video of things.

I just don't like this record, at all. A few good/great songs scattered about the detritus, but the detritus is there. And I just can't ignore it. Blah. Sorry. No idea what the fuss is about. Same old Grizzly Bear...

I posted this in the Random Music Thread and I don't know if any of you guys saw it, but I got a real kick out of it. It's from the same guy who did the "All I Need" meets insects video and Once Upon a Time in the West + "My Body Is a Cage" mash-up:

YouTube - Grizzly Bear "Two Weeks"

Back
Top Bottom