Grizzly Bear - 'Veckatimest' - May 26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not really. It just gives me a good chance to do my excellent impression.

they're playing at one of the new years festivals over here, sadly it's the one that costs a trillion dollars and is extremely hard to get tickets too... i'm kind of shattered, i hear they are good live.

I'm seeing them again a week from tomorrow. Can't wait, as they are, in fact, absolutely incredible live.

I'm liking this album more than ever lately. I can't remember if I've seen that performance yet or not, I'll watch when home.

I'm liking this album more than ever lately. I can't remember if I've seen that performance yet or not, I'll watch when home.

That's right, you weren't as hot for it, right? Oh man, it's a fucking killer performance, seriously. The strings section is incredible.

Less than one week 'til my Grizzlies show! And, as long as FedEx is sort of on the mark with their tracking, I'll have a sweet new camera with a massive zoom to bring along. :up:

I think its cold weather music and the weather here is starting to suit the album. I'm starting to like it more too. Its kind of like Fleet Foxes for me in that way.

I really enjoy the album, though I do wish the vocals had a bit more personality to them.

Eh, there are more than enough quirky, slightly irritating vocalists out there. Hearing people like Ed Droste who can really fucking sing is refreshing. :lol:

I think its cold weather music and the weather here is starting to suit the album. I'm starting to like it more too. Its kind of like Fleet Foxes for me in that way.

I don't know, I've spent a ton of my summer cruising around, listening to the album. Yellow House, yeah, I think that's cold weather music for sure. Bon Iver's the same way for me. But, I get a way warmer feeling from Veckatimest than a lot of people here, I guess.

I don't necessarily mean quirky, just someone with a bit more charisma and presence. This guy can sing, but he's rather colourless IMO.

It's one of those vocals-as-instrument situations IMO (see: Kevin Shields, Elizabeth Fraser). I just feel that his voice suits the music extremely well, so much so that it may come across a bit wallpaperish as you listen. I don't mind that at all, but hey, it's all a matter of taste.

Yellow House to me is a big time cold weather album, considering that's when it really emerged from me (September-November 06). Vecky looks like it doesn't really have a season since I haven't stopped listening to it since its release and am unlikely to any time soon. But some of my better memories with the album go with driving from Austin to DFW to Austin this summer, so it might end up as a hot weather record. Fleet Foxes, though, is completely summer what with me seeing them in July 08 and being really into them around that time. Definitely agree with Cass that For Emma is completely made for cold weather, but that's only fortified by the mythology behind its creation. Sure, I really got into it last winter, but JV trudging into the snowy woods to make it often overshadowing the music itself makes it especially well suited for the cold.

It seems like the seasonal associations we make with albums often coincide with when we really get comfortable with the tunes.

It seems like the seasonal associations we make with albums often coincide with when we really get comfortable with the tunes.

Funny how that works. Although I think vocals are a big part of it personally. Its the reverb soaked vocals that give me the cozy, warm inside while its cold outside vibe. White Winter Hymnal might as well be a Christmas carol for me. Not all the Veckatimest songs are that way, but that performance of Ready, Able definitely does it

Nah, I liked it since day one, i just liked Yellow House considerably more for quite a while there. The gap has been closing.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I'm at the point where I can't say which is my favorite anymore. They're too close overall.

Back
Top Bottom