Grizzly Bear - 'Veckatimest' - May 26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mash-ups, yes!

Girl Talk's mixes are far more elaborate than that though. Still cool.

Look, I like Girl Talk. I think the bit on Night Ripper with "Bittersweet Symphony" and that Ying Yang Twins song I sing all the time is fucking awesome. I just don't think Gillis is some sort of genius. And I fucking hate his audience now. I don't know when it happened, but bros have infiltrated the GT.

That is very true, impy. I saw Girl Talk, last summer, and it was hands-the-fuck-down the worst audience with which I've ever seen a show. I've been to about 100 of them, over the years. NEVER saw a worse crowd. Ugh. So bad that I don't even want to bother telling the story. Ugh. Fucking idiots.

Put a Dan Deacon crowd to shame, let me tell you. And that's saying something.

I knew it was all over when everyone at my high school was talking about it. Fun while it lasted.

You should be dusting for prints, inside!

That is very true, impy. I saw Girl Talk, last summer, and it was hands-the-fuck-down the worst audience with which I've ever seen a show. I've been to about 100 of them, over the years. NEVER saw a worse crowd. Ugh. So bad that I don't even want to bother telling the story. Ugh. Fucking idiots.

Put a Dan Deacon crowd to shame, let me tell you. And that's saying something.

That bad, huh? Someday I'm going to pry this story out of you. I've never made it to a GT gig, so I'm wanting to brave the crowd at ACL this year. If he does an aftershow, I'm not going to fuck with it. I just see myself getting more pissed off than anything else.

I haven't seen Girl Talk yet either, although he's on my list to see. Hearing that his fans are dicks isn't too surprising, I guess, but it does make me want to avoid the show a bit too.

Oh, and to do what Gillis does and to do it well is much, much more difficult that it seems. It's easy as shit to mash a few songs with the same beats per minute together, which technically works, but doesn't necessarily sound great. But, he's got a lot more going on in there than just that. Plus, some of the intersections he makes between the songs he chooses for his mashups, particularly somewhat emasculating the rappers by putting them over stuff like "Tiny Dancer," is just fascinating for me (because I'm a nerd and study popular music...yes, I will be immensely poor and probably homeless when I graduate)

THE GRIZ! were on Jimmy Fallon's show last night. They played "Cheerleader," a jam with the coveted Impy13 Seal of Approval. I can't find video of it since NBC hates providing video of things.

Hulu.

NBC are their bitches.

It wasn't there at the time of my posting. I saw the video already though. It made me more upset I missed them.

I had a dream last night I was out at the bars across the street from where they played, and from the street I heard them playing "Dory." I'm not kidding. This is the kind of stuff I dream about.

Finally gave the album a couple of good listens and I have to say I'm impressed, much better than their last album. The middle of the album seems to drag a little but there's at least three songs that I think are really something special. I think I'll buy the album, sounds like it's an album that would sound much better at CD quality

They're still much better live than on record though

THE GRlZ!

08-30 Brooklyn, NY - Williamsburg Waterfront (Jelly Pool Party)
09-26 Ann Arbor, MI - Michigan Theater
09-27 Chicago, IL - Metro
09-28 Chicago, IL - Metro
09-30 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
10-01 Columbia, MO - Blue Note
10-05 Atlanta, GA - Variety Playhouse
10-06 Norfolk, VA - The NorVA
10-07 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
10-08 Boston, MA - Orpheum Theatre
10-20 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
10-21 Solana Beach, CA - Belly Up Tavern

If it were the day after, I'd say go for it. Since it's the day before, I wouldn't. THE GRIZ! would make it difficult to endure the second show since they won't be able to be topped.

Finally were rescheduled:

Thursday, July 16:
CBS: Late Show With David Letterman: Grizzly Bear

That performance is phenomenal. Finally watched it a few weeks ago.

Woke up and am now blasting Veckatimest on vinyl this morning. Best start to a day I've had in a long time. :up:

"While You Wait For the Others." Sung this guy:

artc.jpg

Fucking. AWESOME.

He sorta looks like he could be related to a grizzly bear in that picture.

He sorta looks like he could be related to a grizzly bear in that picture.

or like a guy who's on his way into the woods to be eaten by a grizzly bear...

it's been a long time since i checked out anything mofo's ranted and raved so much about, finally breaking that dry spell. "two weeks" is a lot more enjoyable while not actually looking at the video. man, that thing is creepy.

I think I raved about them much more during the Yellow House period. I probably still prefer that to this album, actually, despite this likely being a better album overall. I have better memories with Yellow House.

"[Grizzly Bear is] an incredible band. The thing I want to say to everyone-- I hope this happens because it will push rap, it will push hip-hop to go even further-- what the indie rock movement is doing right now is very inspiring. It felt like us in the beginning. These concerts, they're not on the radio, no one hears about them, and there's 12,000 people in attendance. And the music that they're making and the connection they're making to people is really inspiring. So I hope that they have a run where they push hip-hop back a little bit, so it will force hip-hop to fight to make better music. Because it can happen. Because that's what rap did to rock.

"When rock was the dominant force in music, rap came and said, 'Y'all got to sit down for a second, this is our time.' And we've had a stranglehold on music since then. So I hope indie rock pushes rap back a bit because it will force people to make great music for the sake of making great music."

~Jay-Z

"While You Wait For the Others." Sung this guy:

artc.jpg

Fucking. AWESOME.

I was just looking at the single on iTunes, and this was one of the comments:

Like hearing your dad sing Radiohead, 1 star

:laugh:

"[Grizzly Bear is] an incredible band. The thing I want to say to everyone-- I hope this happens because it will push rap, it will push hip-hop to go even further-- what the indie rock movement is doing right now is very inspiring. It felt like us in the beginning. These concerts, they're not on the radio, no one hears about them, and there's 12,000 people in attendance. And the music that they're making and the connection they're making to people is really inspiring. So I hope that they have a run where they push hip-hop back a little bit, so it will force hip-hop to fight to make better music. Because it can happen. Because that's what rap did to rock.

"When rock was the dominant force in music, rap came and said, 'Y'all got to sit down for a second, this is our time.' And we've had a stranglehold on music since then. So I hope indie rock pushes rap back a bit because it will force people to make great music for the sake of making great music."

~Jay-Z

:up:

Where'd that come from?

Back
Top Bottom