Grizzly Bear - Shields

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first 4 and last 3 tracks are phenomenal. I bought it after listening to the stream once and it hasn't disappointed.

The whole packaging is nice as well and the booklet contains lyrics which is nice. They're pretty vague though.

Insound didn't give me tracking information, but a friend in Dallas is due to receive his today. Hopefully I get the same treatment.

This is beginning to give me pause since the friend received his Saturday. So if it's not here today, I'ma bitch out Insound. Seems fair.

"It's like if you could imagine a morbidly obese ballerina stumbling onto stage in front of an audience of thousands."

"The strings are piled on like the dirt from the grave these guys are digging for their old sound."

Anthony Fantano gives Shields a firm :down:

Grizzly Bear- Shields ALBUM REVIEW - YouTube

I think I might buy this album and try and get more into it.

"It's like if you could imagine a morbidly obese ballerina stumbling onto stage in front of an audience of thousands."

mad3_character_large_332x363_sonya.jpg

I'm surprised a Yellow House fan found so little to love on Shields, but hey, he's in a strong minority. Album's getting love all over the place. I'm not in love with it yet, but it's very nice and enjoyable to listen to. Sleeping Ute is excellent.

I'm definitely in love with it.

Fantano still gives it a 6. That's not too bad (I haven't seen the review yet). He also gave Centipede Hz a 6 and he had barely anything positive to say so that might not say much.

So everyone keeps saying that they don't like the middle section, but A Simple Answer has been one of my favorite tracks on the album every time I've listened to it.

What's up with that?

~Natalie Imbruglia

I don't get that reference.

As an anwser to your question, I just listened to the album again and I enjoyed it more than previously. The drums are cool and I like how it subtly builds and then, doesn't. I enjoy each track on the album now (and the lyrics are becoming clear to me :lol:). The Hunt is still a bit boring but it works as a nice resting point, now that I enjoy A Simple Answer more.

The way some words are sung together (I don't know how to describe it) during the chorus of Gun-Shy is a highlight for me.

Finally got to give this a thorough listen. It seems like a grower; little else besides Sleeping Ute jumped out at me immediately, but I was also aware of the complexity of the song structures and deftness of the musicianship. It is definitely a sharp turn from Veckatimest, though; this one feels very much like a winter album, forbidding and somewhat distant. Anything resembling Two Weeks is nowhere to be found.

Ordered this today so I could get free shipping on another purchase and youtube'd Sleeping Ute. Best percussion/drum sounds ever. My goodness.

Finally listened to this album. Great, great album. I like it better than Veckatimest after one listen. It feels more solid throughout to my ears. Should place in or around my top 5 of the year.

Psssst. I hear they will be at Coachella this year. :shifty:

And thank you again for the ticket. :hug:

Yeah, I have been wondering about them and Coachella. OH! And Colin & Mike aren't having their wedding early next year, so I now have the full green-light for Coachella '13! :yippie:

And you're totally welcome for the Grizzly Bear ticket. :)

'Sun In Your Eyes' is a really awesome closer. One of my favorite songs they've ever done.

I was hoping you'd posted to say they added a date in Utah, UiU. Curse you.

Sun In Your Eyes is rapidly becoming one of my favourite songs of the year. That last chorus is breathtaking.

Back
Top Bottom