Grinderman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
There's a Nick Cave thread buried somewhere on here, but this is a different beast. The second Grinderman album is amazing, for those who haven't heard. "Bellringer Blues" is my new favorite song of the year.

More thoughts to come, but - for those of you who didn't love the first album, give this one a chance. It's still completely unhinged, but the songs are much more cohesive and consistent.

I don't really have anything to say about this new album, but today I finally got around to buying a copy of Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus in that nice little box edition. $10 used.

Still probably my favorite Cave release.

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus was my favorite Bad Seeds album for a long time, but I think it's now somwhere around 4th.

1. The Boatman's Call
2. Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!
3. No More Shall We Part
4. Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus
5. Henry's Dream

etc.

The new Grinderman has a bit more of a Bad Seeds feel in the sense that it's a touch more organic and melodic. Still batshit crazy, too, though. Check out "Kitchenette."

2 is fucking badass. I never heard Grinderman's debut, but this album feels totally confident and lived-in.

Evil is a spooky, suffocating dance party and is probably my favorite. Heathen Child is ludicrous and certainly worthy of lead single status. Everything else is just...woah.

Also, Let Love In is the best Bad Seeds album. Just saying.

I like the new album a great lot! :up: Heaps more than the debut - that one made me go, ok that's not bad for a side project, now go back and make a proper Bad Seeds record. On 2 they sound like they really come into their own as a band, and I'm excited at the prospect of hearing these songs live.

I liked the 1st album very much - No Pussy Blues is definitely a Cave classic, but this 2nd album is much more consistent and rocks even more, but also shows a lot more diversity (a song like Palaces of Montezuma came out of nowhere for example). Probably my favorite of the year behind High Violet and This is Happening.

i'm gonna get on this. i have a disturbingly low knowledge of a man lauded as one of our country's greats.

Yeah, dive into Nick Cave. Keep in mind though that his early stuff and what he's doing now with Grinderman is quite chaotic (in a loud way). Nothing wrong with that, just not to everyone's liking. With his Bad Seeds he became a bit more structured over the years (starting from The Good Son onwards or so). I think his The Boatman's Call is a highlight. It's mainly piano ballads on that record, but of the excellent kind.
:)

Yeah, dive into Nick Cave. Keep in mind though that his early stuff and what he's doing now with Grinderman is quite chaotic (in a loud way). Nothing wrong with that, just not to everyone's liking. With his Bad Seeds he became a bit more structured over the years (starting from The Good Son onwards or so). I think his The Boatman's Call is a highlight. It's mainly piano ballads on that record, but of the excellent kind.
:)

Murder Ballads and Lyre of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues are also on the list.

i guess it's just taken some of us a long time to get over him murdering Kylie

Great album! I was decently amused by the first one, but didn't really think it had anything on his regular material. This one, though, I might like over Dig Lazarus Dig.. time will tell of course. And they're on tour in NA these days!

Somehow, he's even cooler now. The comments are cracking me up. It's like one of those sitcoms where a character is being sabotaged and manages to come out of it looking better than ever.

I forgot to share this. I got it instead of a t-shirt. Yes, it's a tea towel with the tour dates on it. :heart:

IMG_6854-1.jpg

Haven't heard Grinderman 2 yet... dragging my feet because although really got into the 1st Grinderman one (and were brilliant live), was very disappointed with Dig Laz Dig.. Lacked the usual brilliance IMO.

Seeing I have all Nick's stuff since Birthday Party (including a CD of him reading from his book...) I got G2 and LOVE it!!! :applaud::applaud::applaud:

Witnessed their brilliantly vicious, manic genius last night in Melbourne and blew me away even more. Amazing energy and performance and got to hold hands with Nick during two songs. :love: :drool:

I've never seen Nick smile and interact with the crowd so much
Me either! He was laughing with Warren at times and having a real good time. Gave a lotta love to the crowd - of course for Nick that sometimes manifests as screaming in peoples faces, lol! Can't wait for BDO and the Dirty Three shows.

Back
Top Bottom