Grimes - Visions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
And because I am a plus 1 in favor of more independent threads: GRIMES!

This is actually my favorite album of the year so far, not sure why I haven't talked about it at all, but it's an immaculate album, as far as song sequencing and flow is concerned. Very dance heavy, and I would think fans of Robyn would be all over it (coriimtalkingaboutyiou)

It's not out yet (February 21st, I believe is the release date), I guess I didn't realize that, since I listened to it on the oh so shady Grooveshark, but for those of you who are waiting for the official date, it's really great.

Since it flowed so well, I haven't been too good about picking out favorite tracks yet, but all the cool kids are talking about these two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2xyCIK4ALo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ4zfqWUb6Q&feature=related

For certain people on this board, sometimes I'll just throw a band's name out there and wait for them to flock in.

This album is one of my favorites of the year so far. Which is to say, I like it but it's not amazing. Those singles (placed unfortunately early in the album) are very catchy. I hope her voice grows on me because I love the beats.

:panic: oh noez a B+ from the Traviud she might as well pack it in :panic:

Seriously though, I haven't really dug anything that much this year. It all sounds like shit to me now. Guess I turned 21 at the right time; alcohol is the cure to cynicism :up:

40066171.jpg

Genesis, Oblivion and Vowels = Space and Time are on constant rotation at the moment. I love how stripped down these songs sound, pretty much just the hook and the beat, which isn't soaked in reverb or anything. I don't want to label this album minimal synth, but I don't know why it's being referred to as dream pop. It's far too dry.

I had the joy of unexpectedly being woken up after 2 hrs of sleep and working through the night. Finally listened to this album, really liked it the first time through. Sorta reminds me of a modern dreampop or something crazy like that.

I enjoyed this album. It definitely sounds as though it was recorded on a laptop, but that is part of the charm. The vocal effects and layering are also mesmerizing on several tracks - most notably "Skin." I suspect that this one will be a grower.

I don't know what to think of this album. It sounds fun while I'm listening to it but I can't recall any special moment afterwards.

I'm exactly the opposite. I keep going back to my favorites (Genesis, Oblivion, Vowels = Space and Time) more than I do with any other album this year.

Boucher is a better singer than Robyn, I just don't care for her pitch most of the time. Way too high.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might just grow to be charmed by her voice the way I am Elizabeth Fraser's.

I feel like I've already heard Grimes be compared to Cocteau Twins, but I don't hear it. This is closer to microhouse, but with dreamy synths and an overall slower tempo.

Yeah, her basic singing doesn't really sound anything like Cocteau Twins, but some of her little vocal intros and such remind me of them I guess. Something like that.

Back
Top Bottom