Green Day - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
The Male

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Green Day

What do you all think of them? I've known about Green Day long before American Idiot came out, but never cared all that much. Not a big punk fan really. But the American Idiot title track comepletely changed my mind on the band. The record itself is killer, but we all know that already (I generally like Franz Ferdinand better than Green Day, I respect them though).

Other than AI, I've heard Dookie before, and it did little for me. Seemed to be formulaic-yet-slightly-more-peppy punk rock to me...Longview is good and Basket Case was bearable.

I was going to give Warning: a listen, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Does anyone have recommendations for me?

I also hear they can put on quite a show. Here's a live video of Homecoming to prove it:

Old 05-23-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 10:46 AM
I've been in and out with them

I own all of their albums, and liked them long before american idiot

at one point they were close to my favorite band, but I soon matured and realized that their nothing special

I still like american idiot every now and then though

Old 05-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

I heard about them back in college, when a friend told me about them. This was just before "Dookie" came out, and it was just the few albums on Lookout! records. They were fun songs!

I had kind of written them off, but liked the song "American Idiot." Heard great things about the album but never got around to hearing it. I finally heard it about 6 months ago and was amazed at how much I liked it!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 03:46 PM
I'm upset with them right now. There's a very fine line between being huge and selling out. I am not a member of the crowd that believes Green Day sold out with Dookie or by signing with a major label. But selling their American Idiot/Green Day logo to market boxers, underware, pjs etc is just disgusting. That's a purely greedy move. If someone can prove to me that they didn't have control over this, I'll reconsider my position; however, since they sold millions of albums prior to AI, I doubt they signed such a powerless contract.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:45 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:46 AM
They're a good band and I give them a lot of credit for American Idiot. They took their 3-chord punk revival sound and gave it some decend production, great lyrics, and a political twinge.

They pulled off quite a big....reinvention isn't the word, but a resurgence with AI. Since they managed to be more than 'that band from the 90s' I take my hat off to em.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yeah - so many people hate them now though because of the "teenie bopper" following they've got now... Which I can understand.

I though American Idiot was good when it first came out, but it's been so overplayed that I'm kinda sick of it now. My favourite song on it would have to be Give Me Novacaine, simply because it hasn't had as much airplay.

I saw them last summer, and it sort of re-installed my faith in them - they can still pull off one hell of a live show
Old 05-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Total U2 Nut
Yeah - so many people hate them now though because of the "teenie bopper" following they've got now... Which I can understand.

I though American Idiot was good when it first came out, but it's been so overplayed that I'm kinda sick of it now. My favourite song on it would have to be Give Me Novacaine, simply because it hasn't had as much airplay.

I saw them last summer, and it sort of re-installed my faith in them - they can still pull off one hell of a live show
Extraordinary Girl is my favorite for the same reasons as you stated.

I agree though, it has been overplayed. Even out here in the boonies..."Boulevard" and "September" have been played. That's a sign of definite overexposure.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

when i come around and holiday are my fav green day songs. I be a out and proud green day fan if there fan base wasnt so dominated by teenie rockers.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

^ Me too.

I sucks how people judge you when you say you like Green Day. They assume that your favourite song is Wake Me When September Ends and I've never even heard of their other albums....

Having said that, my favourite Green Day album is Kerplunk! when they were still on Lookout Records, I love how it was only made in like two days - and the unclean guitars just sound so good.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:58 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I like some of Green Day's stuff. I like "Longview" from Dookie, and I have American Idiot, and I think it's a good album.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:15 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
They're a good band and I give them a lot of credit for American Idiot. They took their 3-chord punk revival sound and gave it some decend production, great lyrics, and a political twinge.

They pulled off quite a big....reinvention isn't the word, but a resurgence with AI. Since they managed to be more than 'that band from the 90s' I take my hat off to em.

I concur

Some of their early stuff is a little unfocused, but they've certainly made up for it. They are that rare kind of band that actually gets better as they age. I don't listen to them everyday, but I really admire their spunk and ability to be even better live than on record.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:46 AM
warning is great. dookie and previously is just good pop punk. nimrod has a couple decent songs. the one i'm forgetting i'm forgetting it because i didn't like it.

i'm too lazy to copy and paste my american idiot rant from the other threads. i'll just say i hate it.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:49 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Theres a lot of good stuff before AI.

Welcome To Paradise, Scatterd, eh....can't forget the Seinfeld Song (Good Riddance), When I Come Around, The Grouch, King For A Day, Panic song, Waiting, Church On Sunday, Deadbeat Holiday, Macys Day Parade, Maria, Hashikuna (or however the hell you spell that song!) ect ect (well those are among my favourites)......

American Idiot is still the only album of Green Day's that I will listen to start to finish without skipping.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:06 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

^ I used to be able to do that, but it's been so overplayed now, I only ever listen to the songs that they haven't released as singles because I'm so sick of the others.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #15
Refugee

When I first heard the entire AI album I immediately liked September. I didn't mind it being used as a single; I minded the fact that it dragged on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...................................................................................................................................................................................................... ........................................................................................................................................................................................................ .................................................................

Tags
green day