Green Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
What do you all think of them? I've known about Green Day long before American Idiot came out, but never cared all that much. Not a big punk fan really. But the American Idiot title track comepletely changed my mind on the band. The record itself is killer, but we all know that already (I generally like Franz Ferdinand better than Green Day, I respect them though).

Other than AI, I've heard Dookie before, and it did little for me. Seemed to be formulaic-yet-slightly-more-peppy punk rock to me...Longview is good and Basket Case was bearable.

I was going to give Warning: a listen, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Does anyone have recommendations for me?

I also hear they can put on quite a show. Here's a live video of Homecoming to prove it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIQBRO_b1vs

I've been in and out with them

I own all of their albums, and liked them long before american idiot

at one point they were close to my favorite band, but I soon matured and realized that their nothing special

I still like american idiot every now and then though

I heard about them back in college, when a friend told me about them. This was just before "Dookie" came out, and it was just the few albums on Lookout! records. They were fun songs!

I had kind of written them off, but liked the song "American Idiot." Heard great things about the album but never got around to hearing it. I finally heard it about 6 months ago and was amazed at how much I liked it!

I'm upset with them right now. There's a very fine line between being huge and selling out. I am not a member of the crowd that believes Green Day sold out with Dookie or by signing with a major label. But selling their American Idiot/Green Day logo to market boxers, underware, pjs etc is just disgusting. That's a purely greedy move. If someone can prove to me that they didn't have control over this, I'll reconsider my position; however, since they sold millions of albums prior to AI, I doubt they signed such a powerless contract.

They're a good band and I give them a lot of credit for American Idiot. They took their 3-chord punk revival sound and gave it some decend production, great lyrics, and a political twinge.

They pulled off quite a big....reinvention isn't the word, but a resurgence with AI. Since they managed to be more than 'that band from the 90s' I take my hat off to em.

Yeah - so many people hate them now though because of the "teenie bopper" following they've got now... Which I can understand.

I though American Idiot was good when it first came out, but it's been so overplayed that I'm kinda sick of it now. My favourite song on it would have to be Give Me Novacaine, simply because it hasn't had as much airplay.

I saw them last summer, and it sort of re-installed my faith in them - they can still pull off one hell of a live show :wink:

Total U2 Nut said:
Yeah - so many people hate them now though because of the "teenie bopper" following they've got now... Which I can understand.

I though American Idiot was good when it first came out, but it's been so overplayed that I'm kinda sick of it now. My favourite song on it would have to be Give Me Novacaine, simply because it hasn't had as much airplay.

I saw them last summer, and it sort of re-installed my faith in them - they can still pull off one hell of a live show :wink:

Extraordinary Girl is my favorite for the same reasons as you stated. :wink:

I agree though, it has been overplayed. Even out here in the boonies..."Boulevard" and "September" have been played. That's a sign of definite overexposure. :|

when i come around and holiday are my fav green day songs. I be a out and proud green day fan if there fan base wasnt so dominated by teenie rockers.

^ Me too.

I sucks how people judge you when you say you like Green Day. They assume that your favourite song is Wake Me When September Ends and I've never even heard of their other albums....

Having said that, my favourite Green Day album is Kerplunk! when they were still on Lookout Records, I love how it was only made in like two days - and the unclean guitars just sound so good.

Canadiens1160 said:
They're a good band and I give them a lot of credit for American Idiot. They took their 3-chord punk revival sound and gave it some decend production, great lyrics, and a political twinge.

They pulled off quite a big....reinvention isn't the word, but a resurgence with AI. Since they managed to be more than 'that band from the 90s' I take my hat off to em.

I concur :up:

Some of their early stuff is a little unfocused, but they've certainly made up for it. They are that rare kind of band that actually gets better as they age. I don't listen to them everyday, but I really admire their spunk and ability to be even better live than on record.

warning is great. dookie and previously is just good pop punk. nimrod has a couple decent songs. the one i'm forgetting i'm forgetting it because i didn't like it.

i'm too lazy to copy and paste my american idiot rant from the other threads. i'll just say i hate it.

Theres a lot of good stuff before AI.

Welcome To Paradise, Scatterd, eh....can't forget the Seinfeld Song (Good Riddance), When I Come Around, The Grouch, King For A Day, Panic song, Waiting, Church On Sunday, Deadbeat Holiday, Macys Day Parade, Maria, Hashikuna (or however the hell you spell that song!) ect ect (well those are among my favourites)......

American Idiot is still the only album of Green Day's that I will listen to start to finish without skipping.

Last edited:
^ I used to be able to do that, but it's been so overplayed now, I only ever listen to the songs that they haven't released as singles because I'm so sick of the others.

When I first heard the entire AI album I immediately liked September. I didn't mind it being used as a single; I minded the fact that it dragged on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Canadiens1160 said:

They focused & it payed off for them. Only thing I could add is that Green Day are very talented and are being very well marketed in the U.S. and abroad. Also, the theme of AI was right on the money, released at the right time, in the right way.

I have Dookie and AI and enjoy them both...though I think the songs are a better quality on AI...except I skip September because as has been stated in this thread, it's been so overplayed.

From wikipedia:

The album is divided into three acts and 16 songs. The track listing has been partially revealed in the December 2008 issue of the AP Magazine, and is as follows.

Act 1: Heroes and Cons

1. 21st Century Breakdown
  2. Know Your Enemy
  3. Viva la Gloria
  4. Before the Lobotomy
  5. Christian's Inferno
  6. Last Night on Earth

Act 2: Charlatans and Saints

1. March of the Dogs

Act 3: Horseshoes and Handgrenades
LAST NIGHT ON EARTH!!!!!! :D
:dance:

:lmao:

"Ohhhhh, goooood for you. And how was it?"
This part cracks me up... maybe that's in the lyrics

Huh. I had no idea I even started a Green Day thread on Interference.

Pretty excited about the new album. I'm very curious to see how they progress from American Idiot.

Saw them twice on the American Idiot tour...LOVE LOVE LOVED THEM...one of the best shows I had ever seen, very crowd interactive.
Anxious to see what they have conjured up...It needs to be better than the Foxboro Hottubs release though...

COVER_SMALL.jpg

This seems to be the cover... not sure, but it's on their site...
Me likey...
You can preorder the album at their site already.
Oh, and the producer is Butch Vig. Nice.

Btw, how can I resize a image that I'm posting... this one is big. Too big.

Back
Top Bottom