Green Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am listening and enjoying it so far.

But for me, this will be like enjoying the later Star Wars movies, because I will share them with my 15-year-old daughter, who is nuts about Green Day.

I will see them this summer to take her to her first "big show," a day I have been waiting for since she was born! She was a barely walking baby when I saw them with openers Pansy Division at Cobo Arena (site of Kiss Alive) in Detroit in 1994. Pansy Division were booed, and the punks complained that Dookie was the big sell-out album. Oh the days!

:applaud:

new single :yawn: catchy enough, nothing special.

I've caught it a few times switching back and forth in the mornings getting ready for work.
I really quite like it. :up:

:madspit:

Im excited, I picked it up yesterday and I'll be listening to it after work and the weekend :wink:

Same here. Can't wait to hear in it's totality. :rockon:

OMG!!!! I FREAKIN LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the new cd!!! EVERY SINGLE SONG!!!!
I downloaded the cd on to my ipod and ran errands all afternoon while hooked up to my ipod and OMG!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I kept replaying certain songs over and over but I finally got through the whole cd!
I LOVE Billys voice! I LOVE these songs!, * I DID NOT* come in expecting it to surpass American Idiot, I was just so damn excited to hear something new from them and like
U2 they kept us waiting 4 years and just like U2 it ws so damn WORTH IT!!:love:

OK, I've never been a big fan, and their success this decade is just annoying, but "Know Your Enemy" would make a good ringtone/soundbyte, but its the same thing over and over, and I'm not buying the sentiment behind it at this point in their career.

I like it, but I don't get it. The story doesn't seem as clear as AI did. Maybe a few more listens and something will click (cause I can be kind of slow sometimes).

The second and third acts really are fantastic.

I can't wait to see how bad of a review Pitchfork gives this. I'm ready for a good laugh. Do we take the over or under on its grade vs. NLOTH...

The second and third acts really are fantastic.

I can't wait to see how bad of a review Pitchfork gives this. I'm ready for a good laugh. Do we take the over or under on its grade vs. NLOTH...

I'd imagine about the same, I really can't get into this album at all, it's just a sub-par American Idiot to me. And American Idiot wasn't that great an album in the first place anyway...

I'm not so sure. NLOTH was very low, only 4.2. I could see this being somewhere in the 5 range.

They gave American Idiot a 7.2, which for Pitchfork is amazing.

I actually agree with pitchfork on AI, I'd say it's around a 7, maybe closer to a high 7. If Pitchfork gave the new album in the 5s I'd probably agree with them, I still can't get over the 4.2 for NLOTH especially in comparison to Bomb's 6.9

So, my 17 year old cousin-in-law needs a chaperone for the show in Philly, and is bringing along my brother-in-law. Neither of them knows the city well. Lucky for me. My wife's aunt is paying for all three of us, I only have to get them from our apartment in University City to the show and back. Free Green Day concert = :happy:

So, as to the new album. I didn't love it at first, but the more I listen to it, the more I enjoy it. I don't like all of it, and some songs are just meh. But there are some real highlights. I'd put it somewhere behind American Idiot and Warning but ahead of Dookie. The music itself sounds fantastic overall, but BJ's lyrics are more vague than I think they've ever been. That's the problem I have with both American Idiot and Warning - recurring characters don't necessarily make an album coherent. I miss the self-contained songs with varied isntrumentation on Warning, but this is still a great record.

I like it, but I don't get it. The story doesn't seem as clear as AI did. Maybe a few more listens and something will click (cause I can be kind of slow sometimes).

American Idiot was a concept album about how much George Bush sucked, while 21st Century Breakdown is a concept album about recovering from how much George Bush sucked. That's all you need to know.

Its definitely a grower this album. I've probably nearly reached 10 listens, and loving it more with each listen. I think this is Punk/Pop-Rock done right. Its got a little bit of everything.

The setlist from a NYC club show looks quite promising, as posted by Rolling Stone:

“21st Century Breakdown”
“Know Your Enemy”
“East Jesus Nowhere”
“Before The Lobotomy”
“Last Of The American Girls”
“Murder City”
“Viva La Gloria (Little Girl)”
“The Static Age”
“21 Guns”
“American Eulogy (Mass Hysteria/Modern World)”
“See The Light”

“American Idiot”
“Jesus Of Suburbia”
“Longview”
“Who Wrote Holden Caufield?”
“Dominated Love Slave”
“Going To Pasalacqua”
“She”
“King For A Day”/”Shout” [Isley Brothers cover]
“Minority”

I would rather go to a show like this than one where the entire album is played. I like the mix of singles and more obscure back catalogue tracks. As singles go, "She" is a better chioce than "Basket Case" or "Welcome to Paradise," as well. And I would give my left pinky toe to see "Dominated Love Slave" live. And "Going to Pasalacqua"? I had no idea these guys played anything off of their first album anymore. And two songs from Kerplunk? The only thing I would change is more material from Nimrod or Warning, maybe at least one track from Insomniac even though everyone has forgotten it. Maybe swap the title track from AI for "Holiday" or "She's a Rebel," but still a great set.

I'd imagine about the same, I really can't get into this album at all, it's just a sub-par American Idiot to me. And American Idiot wasn't that great an album in the first place anyway...

if you consider american idiot to be not that great an album then there's no chance you'll even consider getting into this album.

american idiot was fantastic.

Its definitely a grower this album. I've probably nearly reached 10 listens, and loving it more with each listen. I think this is Punk/Pop-Rock done right. Its got a little bit of everything.

I agree, though I have only listened twice now. The first time was really hard not to compare it to AI and feel Oh it's kinda the same but not as good, but the second time I wasn't thinking about AI anymore and I started liking it a lot more, and I'm really looking forward to listen #3. There are some great songs on there, and they seemed to really stand apart on 2nd listen.

Wow, loving this album with each listen. The songs are so rich. It seems a perfect fusion of mid-career and modern green day. Can definately hear some Dookie and Nimrod in there.

:ohmy: Ok I officially like it now almost as much as AI. And that's saying a lot for me, I never thought I'd be saying it. I'm afraid the more I listen I may start to like it more than AI even. :ohmy:

I love the incorporation of strigns and piano in these songs, and the fact that it hasn't taken away from the core sound.

21 Guns has been in my head all day. I think on a whole the songs are better on this album than AI, but AI's cohesion makes it a better album. This though is definately one that is greater than the some of it's parts, and when we properly decipher the story, I think itll be something pretty special

^ I agree. I've listened 3 times all the way through, but I find I also keep skipping around and relistening to a lot of the songs that keep getting stuck in my head. Some of these songs are really catchy with great little melodies. A lot of them actually!

Back
Top Bottom