Green Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only heard Know Yer Enemy a few times, and gee it's average. Doesn't have the same intensity as the title track from American Idiot.

Anything comparable with Jesus Of Suburbia on the new album? That song was ridiculously good.

Regarding Pitchfork, so they bag Green Day's drummer, they can hardly say Selway was especially spectacular or clever on In Rainbows, and that album got a whopping 9-odd.

And I wouldn't call FutureSex/LoveSounds a guilty pleasure, just a fine pleasure that had crossover critical and commercial appeal.

I agree with Jesus of Suburbia being ridiculously good, it's my favorite and one of the best off the album. But in comparison Know Your Enemy is not among any of my current favorites off the new one. There are so many that are much better and yes it seems quite average in comparison. If you like AI you have to give the new one a chance, or at least 2 chances. I found (a long with a lot of other people it seems) that it's difficult not to compare it to AI on first listen. I found I heard it on it's own merit, and enjoyed it much more on second listen. And now I am ranking it very high, right up there with AI.
Hope that made sense :reject:

^ on that, it appears that bigger, older bands are doing this now: that is releasing their simplest, most palatable, easily digested songs first. GOYB is another example. Definately playing to the kids of the fast-food generation, who demand instant gratification, and who lose interest faster than goldfish

Funny thing is though I don't consider GOYB as the simplest, most easily digestible song on NLOTH. It's a lot more complex actually, which seems to be why people didn't get it. But I do agree it is the case with Green Days first single choice, unfortunately. There were so many better choices! :(

Funny thing is though I don't consider GOYB as the simplest, most easily digestible song on NLOTH. It's a lot more complex actually, which seems to be why people didn't get it. But I do agree it is the case with Green Days first single choice, unfortunately. There were so many better choices! :(

Little Girl would have been a great choice. Introduced a new style, but then explodes into familiar territory.

Last of the American Girls will be isngle 3 I think

I couldn't resist :shifty:

greendaylolcomet.gif

Oh, good hell, what was Tré up to on? :lmao: That's toilet paper, isn't it? :laugh:

I saw them on the Colbert Report and Tré tripped up stephen Colbert. It's pretty rare when even Colbert doesn't know what the hell to do with you. One of my favourite things about a new Green Day album besides the new music and tour is Tré being hyper and random and himself and the occasions, like this, where Billie chooses not to reel him in.

Also, next single: 21 Guns.

Id go as far as to say Know your Enemy is the worst on the album.

Honestly, I skip it. My iPod still had Know Your Enemy listed on its own as a single, so when I downloaded the rest of 21st Century Breakdown and played it the first time, Know Your Enemy wasn't in the mix and :shifty: I didn't exactly miss it. The song, 21st Century Breakdown flows so perfectly into ¡Viva La Gloria! that I don't know why they shoved Know Your Enemy in there. That said, I don't know where else it would fit in the track order because everything else is just so cohesive.

Honestly, I skip it. My iPod still had Know Your Enemy listed on its own as a single, so when I downloaded the rest of 21st Century Breakdown and played it the first time, Know Your Enemy wasn't in the mix and :shifty: I didn't exactly miss it. The song, 21st Century Breakdown flows so perfectly into ¡Viva La Gloria! that I don't know why they shoved Know Your Enemy in there. That said, I don't know where else it would fit in the track order because everything else is just so cohesive.

i think it fits in the context of the album... but i believe it's on there because green day realize that a catchy, hooky song is neccesary to grab the attention of today's music listener... hook 'em in, then hit 'em with the trippy (and better) shit.

green day's career arc really is something to behold... how their sound has matured with each album, and how they really are now the biggest band in the world... something i never would have believed if you had told me that in the 90s, even during the peark of Dookie.

i think it fits in the context of the album... but i believe it's on there because green day realize that a catchy, hooky song is neccesary to grab the attention of today's music listener... hook 'em in, then hit 'em with the trippy (and better) shit.

green day's career arc really is something to behold... how their sound has matured with each album, and how they really are now the biggest band in the world... something i never would have believed if you had told me that in the 90s, even during the peark of Dookie.
So you're saying that since I'm a longtime Green Day fan, that's why I don't need that song to draw my attention into the album and why I think it sounds out of place? That makes sense.

No shit! I've been a fan of them since nimrod. and Nice Guys Finish Last and I never would've thought they had something in them like these past two albums. I hate to say it, but I think they've grown up. Musically, at least. Tré will always act like he's 13.

Dookie will always hold a special place in my heart 'cause it was the first album i owned that pissed off my parents. that's a special moment in a kid's life.

i believe i was 13 :hmm:

For me, that's not any Green Day, unfortunately. It was Enema Of The State by blink-182. They saw the nurse on the cover and read the lyrics to Adam's Song and I was in deep, well, dookie.

I was 13 as well :hi5:

Nowadays, though, my mom likes My Chemical Romance and approves of me listening to Green Day, cause they were on CBS Sunday Morning this past Sunday over the "contraversy" (spelled that wrong on purpose to accentuate the fact that there is NO controversy) of them refusing to edit 21st Century Breakdown to be sold at Wal-Mart. I'm with Green Day. Fuck that. Art should not be censored. Besides, I bought it directly from the label anyway, thanks to my Idiot Club membership. You don't see Wal-Mart asking U2 to edit the few times Bono's said "shit" or "fuck" in a song. Yes, Billie's got a fouler mouth, but come on. If you're gonna censor somebody, you should censor everybody, or you look like a fuckin' hypocrite.

For me, that's not any Green Day, unfortunately. It was Enema Of The State by blink-182. They saw the nurse on the cover and read the lyrics to Adam's Song and I was in deep, well, dookie.

I was 13 as well :hi5:

Nowadays, though, my mom likes My Chemical Romance and approves of me listening to Green Day, cause they were on CBS Sunday Morning this past Sunday over the "contraversy" (spelled that wrong on purpose to accentuate the fact that there is NO controversy) of them refusing to edit 21st Century Breakdown to be sold at Wal-Mart. I'm with Green Day. Fuck that. Art should not be censored. Besides, I bought it directly from the label anyway, thanks to my Idiot Club membership. You don't see Wal-Mart asking U2 to edit the few times Bono's said "shit" or "fuck" in a song. Yes, Billie's got a fouler mouth, but come on. If you're gonna censor somebody, you should censor everybody, or you look like a fuckin' hypocrite.

And then you found out the nurse was actually a dude?

So, I missed them on Conan. Did I miss anything special or was it just another talk show performance?

So, I missed them on Conan. Did I miss anything special or was it just another talk show performance?

Pretty much. They played Know Your Enemy, Billy Joe went out into the crowd for the solo, the song ended. Now you're all caught up.

Also, the nurse on the Enema Of The State cover is NOT a dude. :tsk:

Yeah they came back after the commercial break with the band sitting there next to Conan and then the show ended, they didn't get to speak at all.
Also they looked really tiny standing next to Conan. :cute:

and they gave Conan a guitar, in case that was mentioned yet.

Tickets going on sale for Green Day at the Forum in Los Angeles.
August 25: Green Day with Franz Ferdinand

^ It was a Billie Joe Armstrong signature edition Les Paul Junior too. ( :shifty: I know this because I have one living at my house)

Already got my tickets for the San Diego show also with FF :hyper:

alright, so i gave it a try. it's not a bad album. to suggest that it's better than NLOTH is rediculous.

alright, so i gave it a try. it's not a bad album. to suggest that it's better than NLOTH is rediculous.

Got to give it more than one try. The countless ways it rips off American Idiot are only revealed through multiple listens.

Back
Top Bottom