Green Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As much as this may piss some people off, Little Girl reminds me (theme-wise, positioning and purpose on the album) of Mama by My Chemical Romance... it is 400x better though

Pitchfork gave it 4.8!!

Pitchfork: Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown

Yay, they are so scrupulous aren't they? I admire someone who can automatically hate anything popular.

Seriously, someone should tell these weeny little fuckers that their lives are shallow, and they are probably all ugly too
Seriously. I only add this:

Tré Cool-- a drummer who's never really progressed beyond "fast with a lot of rolls" and "mid-tempo militaristic oompah"-- flaunts his competence level with a metronomic anti-creativity.

Fuck you, Pitchfork.

Pitchfork gave it 4.8!!

Pitchfork: Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown

Yay, they are so scrupulous aren't they? I admire someone who can automatically hate anything popular.

Seriously, someone should tell these weeny little fuckers that their lives are shallow

Unless you're being facetious here, this post is absurd and reactionary.

Regardless...

and they are probably all ugly too

6a00d4143667316a4700e398e8e0f90005-500pi

That has a ring of truth to it.

Unless you're being facetious here, this post is absurd and reactionary.

It's mild compared to the reactions their NLOTH review got around here.

Plus, it's not entirely false. Pitchfork are a bunch of tightwads, regardless of how informative they are when it comes to music.

I'm not surprised. I thought it might have a chance to make it past 5 for a score, but this is what I expected.

Still beat NLOTH, which is saying something for them. They REALLY hated that album apparently.

Plus, it's not entirely false. Pitchfork are a bunch of tightwads, regardless of how informative they are when it comes to music.

I'm not surprised. I thought it might have a chance to make it past 5 for a score, but this is what I expected.

Still beat NLOTH, which is saying something for them. They REALLY hated that album apparently.

this.

so apparently GD was on Colbert Nation last night.. And they did Good Morning America this morning.. Both missed cuz I got the email at 8:58am. :mad:

will look for youtube vid later today I guess.:|

so apparently GD was on Colbert Nation last night.. And they did Good Morning America this morning.. Both missed cuz I got the email at 8:58am. :mad:

will look for youtube vid later today I guess.:|

omg!!!111 thier promotion for this album sux!!!!111 :wink:

I actually understood their complaints for both 21st Century Breakdown and NLOTH. Obviously, I think NLOTH's score was far off the mark, but on a base level, they were right. The album tried to do far too much at once and too often used stereotypical U2 sounds as a crutch. It was a safe record under the heading of "experimental". And 21st Century Breakdown? It's just Green Day offering the public what they think they want, copping themselves and every artist they admire in the process. And you know what? That's not necessarily a bad thing. But none of these songs are going to have the staying power of Longview or even Jesus Of Suburbia. I can barely remember anything about the album, and it's only been a week.

That's because you listened once and discarded it, so why would you remember much from it?

I think both scores are laughable yet predictable for them. I can't remember the last time a major (i.e. huge) recording artist on a major label got a review over 7 there. In fact, I think American Idiot was the last one to hit that feat.

Which makes this new review even more humorous. The writer makes it clear at the beginning that he/she didn't care for American Idiot at all, yet the official review at Pitchfork is a 7.2, which is respectable, especially for them.

But not to slag on Pitchfork too much, because that happens everywhere when one person reviews one album and then a different writer reviews the next. It unfortunately makes for an inconsistent review process.

That's because you listened once and discarded it, so why would you remember much from it?

This is true, I only listened once in full. :shrug: But I've heard Know Your Enemy, the album's most shamelessly catchy track, a large number of times, and even that one just doesn't stick for me. I'll give the album a couple more tries, but if nothing sticks to me after one listen, especially an album released by a band usually adept at writing hooks like Green Day, I'm not expecting it to get a whole lot better. American Idiot was a classic right off the bat, and this one doesn't sound much different at all.

I think both scores are laughable yet predictable for them. I can't remember the last time a major (i.e. huge) recording artist on a major label got a review over 7 there. In fact, I think American Idiot was the last one to hit that feat.

Which makes this new review even more humorous. The writer makes it clear at the beginning that he/she didn't care for American Idiot at all, yet the official review at Pitchfork is a 7.2, which is respectable, especially for them.

But not to slag on Pitchfork too much, because that happens everywhere when one person reviews one album and then a different writer reviews the next. It unfortunately makes for an inconsistent review process.

Pitchfork has their guilty pleasures. Check out their reviews of Rihanna and Justin Timberlake's most recent records. But I see what you mean. There tends to be a pattern, and you can usually see a pan coming a mile away. I don't even want to defend them, but the bile that comes their way is always a bit ridiculous. They're rarely that far off from the critical consensus anyway.

Actually Know Your Enemy is one of my least favorites on the album. There are so many others that are much better (and catchier)! And it took me the second listen to start to discover them. I have not had Know Your Enemy stuck in my head at all, but many of the others I do.

Pitchfork has their guilty pleasures. Check out their reviews of Rihanna and Justin Timberlake's most recent records.

Yeah. Shockingly, or maybe not so shockingly, the P4k gave Girls Aloud's greatest hits an 8.5

I nearly died the day that I saw that shit.

On topic, I want to get around to listening to 21st Century Breakdown in full at some point but it's pretty low on my list of stuff to listen to right now. I'll spin it eventually.

I absolutely love this album, and have listened to it more in 2 weeks than any album this year, including NLOTH. :love:

Favourites so far are Peacemaker and Viva la Gloria?

really? if i never really cared for Green Day but genuinely enjoyed American Idiot, do you think i'll like this album? i must warn you, i'm in one of those anti punk/hard rock phases right now.

really? if i never really cared for Green Day but genuinely enjoyed American Idiot, do you think i'll like this album? i must warn you, i'm in one of those anti punk/hard rock phases right now.

This album is not punk, by any definition. Classic rock played a few BPM faster.

I'm not one to say what music someone would like, as everyone has different musical tastes (as we all know).

That being said, I never really cared for Green Day before American Idiot, and I absolutely adored that album. When listening to 21st Century Breakdown, it's important - at least for me - to judge it on its own merits, and not based on American Idiot.

I think this album has great songs, fantastic melodies, and catchy hooks. The story is secondary for me right now.

So listen to it, try to absorb it, and then you can be the judge. You'll never really know if you'll like it until you give it a chance.

If you liked American Idiot, you'll probably enjoy at least some of this one. It's not on the same level as its predecessor, but it's enjoyable enough, especially Acts 2 and 3. Just get through Act 1, which is the weakest part.

^ And even Act 1 isn't so bad. My favorites atm are Peacemaker, I am loving that song! It was the first one to grab my attention and still my favorite. Also in no particular order ¿Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl), The Static Age, ¡Viva La Gloria!, Last Of The American Girls, and Restless Heart Syndrome. Oh and Before The Lobotomy and 21 Guns. Ok I like alot of them!

seriously, it wouldnt have mattered how amaizing either NLOTH or 21stCB were. They are bth bands that once had a cult following and are now huge. That = selling out to pitchfork, and they are totally unab;e to write a objective review on any band that fits that mold. Generally if they give an album unde 4.9 (dig out you soul got 4.9 and its tripe) I will like it. They are sad disaffected, washed up little private school wankers who would never make anything of themselves, so they trash oher peoples art.. Noble

I will be safe in the knowledge that they probably cry themselves to sleep every night.

I'm still amazed this is the same band that made Dookie. Their music has really evolved since then. I love the new album, maybe not as much as American Idiot but I've only listened to it a couple of times so far so it might gain some ground on further listening.

Currently, it's my second fave album of the year after NLOTH (duh).

Back
Top Bottom