Green Day - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #151
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:53 PM
As much as this may piss some people off, Little Girl reminds me (theme-wise, positioning and purpose on the album) of Mama by My Chemical Romance... it is 400x better though

Old 05-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #152
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Pitchfork gave it 4.8!!

Pitchfork: Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown

Yay, they are so scrupulous aren't they? I admire someone who can automatically hate anything popular.

Seriously, someone should tell these weeny little fuckers that their lives are shallow, and they are probably all ugly too

Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:53 AM
Listened to it again. Dear God, I love Green Day.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Pitchfork gave it 4.8!!

Yay, they are so scrupulous aren't they? I admire someone who can automatically hate anything popular.

Seriously, someone should tell these weeny little fuckers that their lives are shallow, and they are probably all ugly too
Seriously. I only add this:

Quote:
Tré Cool-- a drummer who's never really progressed beyond "fast with a lot of rolls" and "mid-tempo militaristic oompah"-- flaunts his competence level with a metronomic anti-creativity.
Fuck you, Pitchfork.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:06 AM   #155
The Male

Local Time: 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Pitchfork gave it 4.8!!

Seriously, someone should tell these weeny little fuckers that their lives are shallow
Unless you're being facetious here, this post is absurd and reactionary.

Regardless...

Quote:
and they are probably all ugly too

That has a ring of truth to it.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Unless you're being facetious here, this post is absurd and reactionary.
It's mild compared to the reactions their NLOTH review got around here.

Plus, it's not entirely false. Pitchfork are a bunch of tightwads, regardless of how informative they are when it comes to music.

I'm not surprised. I thought it might have a chance to make it past 5 for a score, but this is what I expected.

Still beat NLOTH, which is saying something for them. They REALLY hated that album apparently.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #157
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post

Plus, it's not entirely false. Pitchfork are a bunch of tightwads, regardless of how informative they are when it comes to music.

I'm not surprised. I thought it might have a chance to make it past 5 for a score, but this is what I expected.

Still beat NLOTH, which is saying something for them. They REALLY hated that album apparently.
this.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:53 AM
so apparently GD was on Colbert Nation last night.. And they did Good Morning America this morning.. Both missed cuz I got the email at 8:58am.

will look for youtube vid later today I guess.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #159
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
so apparently GD was on Colbert Nation last night.. And they did Good Morning America this morning.. Both missed cuz I got the email at 8:58am.

will look for youtube vid later today I guess.
omg!!!111 thier promotion for this album sux!!!!111
Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #160
The Male

Quote:

I actually understood their complaints for both 21st Century Breakdown and NLOTH. Obviously, I think NLOTH's score was far off the mark, but on a base level, they were right. The album tried to do far too much at once and too often used stereotypical U2 sounds as a crutch. It was a safe record under the heading of "experimental". And 21st Century Breakdown? It's just Green Day offering the public what they think they want, copping themselves and every artist they admire in the process. And you know what? That's not necessarily a bad thing. But none of these songs are going to have the staying power of Longview or even Jesus Of Suburbia. I can barely remember anything about the album, and it's only been a week.

Now.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

That's because you listened once and discarded it, so why would you remember much from it?

I think both scores are laughable yet predictable for them. I can't remember the last time a major (i.e. huge) recording artist on a major label got a review over 7 there. In fact, I think American Idiot was the last one to hit that feat.

Which makes this new review even more humorous. The writer makes it clear at the beginning that he/she didn't care for American Idiot at all, yet the official review at Pitchfork is a 7.2, which is respectable, especially for them.

But not to slag on Pitchfork too much, because that happens everywhere when one person reviews one album and then a different writer reviews the next. It unfortunately makes for an inconsistent review process.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #162
The Male

Quote:
That's because you listened once and discarded it, so why would you remember much from it?
This is true, I only listened once in full. But I've heard Know Your Enemy, the album's most shamelessly catchy track, a large number of times, and even that one just doesn't stick for me. I'll give the album a couple more tries, but if nothing sticks to me after one listen, especially an album released by a band usually adept at writing hooks like Green Day, I'm not expecting it to get a whole lot better. American Idiot was a classic right off the bat, and this one doesn't sound much different at all.

Quote:
I think both scores are laughable yet predictable for them. I can't remember the last time a major (i.e. huge) recording artist on a major label got a review over 7 there. In fact, I think American Idiot was the last one to hit that feat.

Which makes this new review even more humorous. The writer makes it clear at the beginning that he/she didn't care for American Idiot at all, yet the official review at Pitchfork is a 7.2, which is respectable, especially for them.

But not to slag on Pitchfork too much, because that happens everywhere when one person reviews one album and then a different writer reviews the next. It unfortunately makes for an inconsistent review process.
Pitchfork has their guilty pleasures. Check out their reviews of Rihanna and Justin Timberlake's most recent records. But I see what you mean. There tends to be a pattern, and you can usually see a pan coming a mile away. I don't even want to defend them, but the bile that comes their way is always a bit ridiculous. They're rarely that far off from the critical consensus anyway.

Now.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, you're right regarding Timberlake. Of course, as I don't really listen to his stuff, I can see how I missed that one, although I admit he's quite talented.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #164
Blue Crack Distributor

Actually Know Your Enemy is one of my least favorites on the album. There are so many others that are much better (and catchier)! And it took me the second listen to start to discover them. I have not had Know Your Enemy stuck in my head at all, but many of the others I do.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #165
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

Pitchfork has their guilty pleasures. Check out their reviews of Rihanna and Justin Timberlake's most recent records.
Yeah. Shockingly, or maybe not so shockingly, the P4k gave Girls Aloud's greatest hits an 8.5

I nearly died the day that I saw that shit.

On topic, I want to get around to listening to 21st Century Breakdown in full at some point but it's pretty low on my list of stuff to listen to right now. I'll spin it eventually.

Tags
green day