Greatest guitar player of our time: Bono vs. Lil Wayne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greatest guitar player of our time

• Total voters

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Pretty much self-explanatory.

YouTube - U2 - In God's Country (Rattle and Hum)

YouTube - Prom Queen - Lil' Wayne's Guitar Solo Shred - Volume Boosted

For me, it's nearly a draw. Bono has far more on-stage experience, so he has mastered the art of looking cool while holding a guitar. Even in 1987, it was clear that he had taken air guitar to new levels. Unfortunately for Bono, Lil Wayne has the balls to turn his guitar up loud enough that his work, crappy though it may be, is actually audible. It's not as pleasant, but it gives him a hair more credibility as a guitarist.

I'm presently on a work call with our Singapore office, and I laughed out loud during the call when I saw this thread. Well done, LeMeL.

Louder isn't always better. If you didn't believe that before, here's Weezy.

Bono wins.

Louder isn't always better. If you didn't believe that before, here's Weezy.

Bono wins.

Would you go as far to say that someone who has never played guitar before is automatically better than Weezy, due of the lack of harm he or she has caused the human race relative to that guitar solo?

I just might.

Good hell, I just watched the Lil Wayne video. I thought that song sucked bad enough in the studio already, this is an audio abortion.

Good lord, that Lil' Wayne video was painful. My cat can play better guitar than that. Guess I should get him a record deal.

Would you go as far to say that someone who has never played guitar before is automatically better than Weezy, due of the lack of harm he or she has caused the human race relative to that guitar solo?

I just might.

Easily. My 11-year-old brother who plays a variation of open and mute strings when he plays the guitar sounds significantly better than Weezy.

What I don't get is why Bono's guitar is always so low in the mix...I know what he plays is extremely simple...but when you can hear it, it doesn't actually sound bad in any way and it fits the song...what Lil Wayne is playin is just shit:wink:

The poll results so far are definitely screencap worthy. 100% of interference thinks Bono is the greatest guitarist of our time.

I still don't get Weezy. I like him as a person. I think he's a smart, interesting guy. But I just can't get into the tunes and can't understand why he gets so much hipster cred.

Back
Top Bottom