GranDaddy (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Grandaddy

I dont know if any of you have heard them or are fans, I've never heard anyone else mention them here.

Anyways, they are a fantastic band who's music is often related to sounding like Radiohead meets Pavement. Really great stuff. Their last album: The Software Slump got absolutely fantastic reviews. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Radiohead.

I've heard the newest single (Now It's On) off of the upcoming album (Sumday). It's fantastic. I really recommend this band.

Songs to check out:

Hewlett's Daughter
The Crystal Lake
Chartsengrafs
Broken Household Appliance National Forest

I'm pretty sure Sumday is coming out the same day as Hail To the Thief, June 10th.

Last edited:
this is pissin me off cause there's a lot of versions of Now It's On on Kazaa but there all just the first 30 seconds looped over and over. and the first 30 seconds is one of those 30 seconds that really really makes me not want to stop listening. blaaaagh. where'd you hear it mofo?

All I've heard of them is their cover of "Revolution" on the I Am Sam soundtrack. Wow, they really sucked all the energy out of it.

I think I'll seek out some of their originals, though, before making a judgment.

typhoon said:
All I've heard of them is their cover of "Revolution" on the I Am Sam soundtrack. Wow, they really sucked all the energy out of it.

I think I'll seek out some of their originals, though, before making a judgment.

I LOVED The Sophtware Slump, but I HATED Grandaddy's version of Revolution. I recommend d/l'ing:

He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's the Pilot
The Crystal Lake
Underneath the Weeping Willow
Broken Household Appliance National Forest

SkeeK said:
this is pissin me off cause there's a lot of versions of Now It's On on Kazaa but there all just the first 30 seconds looped over and over. and the first 30 seconds is one of those 30 seconds that really really makes me not want to stop listening. blaaaagh. where'd you hear it mofo?

Skeek, I got it off a program called "SoulSeek". I was having the exact same problem on Kazaa, so I gave up. It's a cool song.

About their cover of Revolution. I like it, but I dont love it. You all definitly need to check out their personal work. Covers are just that, covers of other peoples work. I never personally find covers all that interesting.

Soulseek is good :up:

Except that it takes forever to do a search for me. Once it's done however...wow!

I've got the Crystal Lake coming up, as soon as I finish downloading something else.

What's your Soulseek user name meegannie?

Mine is U2AFI, I'm not on all that much though.

i had soulseek once before but it got really fucked up. i see now it's actually quite grand. thanks all.

Grandaddy just announced a tour, they're going out together with Pete Yorn for some reason. Those 2 dont exactly "fit" together, but it's all cool I guess. I want to go see it, hopefully it's cheap.

mofo, I like what I have heard from Grandaddy, and plan to see them when I see Pete Yorn next month........

i need to purchase one of thier albums, which shall it be my "so-called" friend?

-EP

Good to see you back here "so-called" homie EP. Software Slump is fantastic.

They also have a new one coming out on the same day as Hail to the Thief.

some Grandaddy news from the ever resourceful Pitchfork.....

Grandaddy Complete New Album, Tour the World
And ELO wonders where their fanbase went
Rod Waterman reports:
As previously reported, arch-conceptualists Grandaddy are getting ready to lay a grand and heavy dose of Sumdayon us in the very near future. Although last time we checked in with the band, they were hyping it to V2 as a two-disc set, it appears that the ever-economical label has since won out: Sumdaywill be a single-disc release after all. Oh, how nouveau. Sumdayis now slated to hit stores on June 10th, right smack in the middle of a touring marathon not seen since the giant inflatable pig was a runty twinkle way far off in the cosmic distance.
Grandaddy will be embarking on their 27-date North American tour with, perhaps questionably, Pete Yorn (whaaaaaa?????), before heading off alone for 16 dates in Europe in June, where they'll eventually hit the festival circuit, possibly for a culminative weird-off with the Flaming Lips in an obscure field somewhere in the south central Lowlands. I tell you what, people, the stuffed animals of the world are just not safe with these two outfits pairing up. And if Beck ever finds them, look out-- the collective irony-level is sure to go right into the damn stratosphere. I'm not sure my eyebrows can go that high.
Meanwhile, the 'Daddy's fledgling Sweat of the Alps label now has two stablemates, Built Like Alaska and Arm of Roger. Check 'em out. Tourdates (Pete Yorn shows conveniently asterisked for your early-arrival attention:)
04-21 San Francisco, CA - The Warfield *
04-23 Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom *
04-24 Seattle, WA - Paramount Theatre *
04-26 Salt Lake City, UT - Bricks *
04-27 Englewood, CO - Gothic Theatre *
04-29 Minneapolis, MN - State Theatre *
05-01 Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre *
05-02 Indianapolis, IN - Murat Egyptian Room *
05-03 Columbus, OH - PromoWest Pavilion *
05-05 Cleveland, OH - Agora Theatre *
05-06 Pontiac, MI - Clutch Cargo *
05-07 Toronto, ON - The Guvernment *
05-09 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom *
05-10 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory *
05-12 Boston, MA - Avalon *
05-13 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club *
05-16 Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle *
05-18 West Palm Beach, FL - Gosman Amphitheatre *
05-19 Lake Buena Vista, FL - House Of Blues *
05-21 New Orleans, LA - House Of Blues *
05-23 Dallas, TX - Majestic Theatre *
05-24 Austin, TX - Stubb's Barbeque *
05-26 Phoenix, AZ - Celebrity Theatre *
05-27 San Diego, CA - 4th & B *
05-29 Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern *
05-31 Las Vegas, NV - Hard Rock Hotel - The Joint *
06-02 Santa Barbara, CA - Arlington Theatre *
06-06 Manchester, UK - Manchester University
06-07 Leeds, UK - The Cockpit
06-10 Birmingham, UK - Birmingham Academy
06-11 Bristol, UK - Anson Room
06-12 London, UK - The Astoria
06-14 Hultsfred Festival, Sweden
06-15 Copenhagen, Denmark- Vega
06-16 Berlin, Germany - Magnet
06-17 Cologne, Germany - Gebaeude
06-18 Paris, France - Caf? De La Danse
06-20 Southside Festival, Germany
06-21 Hurricane Festival, Germany
06-24 Utrecht, the Netherlands - Tivoli
06-25 Amsterdam, the Netherlands - Melkweg Old Room
06-27 Werchter Festival, Belgium
06-29 Glastonbury Festival, UK
* - w/ Pete Yorn

grandaddy's cool. i saw them open up for coldplay in detroit in 2000. they use a lot of video, with a big projector screen in back. crazy footage of, like, ten minutes of wind turbines. eerie yet great.

crystal lake is an excellent song, imho.

Grandaddy are brilliant!!! They write songs that will make you laugh and cry simultaniously. They sing about the funniest things, but so seriously that it breaks your heart. "The Sophtware Slump" is a masterpeice. Also they have a lot of great b-sides and rare tracks. Even the ones that aren't great are always very interesting. They just have a vibe and attitude that is unlike any band I have ever heard.

Songs I recommend:
The Crystal Lake
Hewlett's Daughter
He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's the Pilot (blew me away on first listen)
Mine at the Dial-A-View
Chartsengrafs
So You'll Aim toward the Sky
A.M. 180
Collective Dreamwish of Upperclass Elegance
Now It's On
I'm On Standby
The Warming Sun
Wives Of Farmers
What Can't Be Erased

So Anyway, If you don't know these guys, do yourself a favor and check them out.

i played "el caminos in the west" on my radio show last week.

i didn't like the songs i downloaded initially, but after hearing them again i liked it.

:up:

hey...i saw them at the pete yorn show. i liked them but don't even know where to start getting into them. they were very creative and it was a great opening band!

question for those who have seen them live: i really liked one song they sang but have NO CLUE which it is. all i know is during it they were playing a video of a little love story backwards on the screen behind them. anybody know what that song is?

I cant figure out if this album is coming out next week or on June 10.

Different sites say different things.

I'm guessing June 10 is still the real release date.

Last edited:
another june 10th album? oh god...my bank account just burst into tears

Back
Top Bottom