GranDaddy (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zonelistener said:
Outstanding show - despite the fact it felt like it lasted 15 minutes. I like their recorded music (and the lyrics), but I do have to say they are an even better live band - videos and all.

And, to save face for Grandaddy...the show was short because of a stupid Chicago law (all ages shows have to end before the "curfew").

Which was especially interesting since the floor in front of the stage was lined with bars on both sides. :rolleyes:

I love the lyrics from Sumday.

Listened to the CD on my way up to Detroit this morning.

Poor robots have to work in the dark because the supervisor turned out the lights.

Elbow and Grandaddy! :ohmy:

Elvis Presley said:
wow, i just found out that Elbow and the Starlight Mints are opening for Grandaddy, now im really pumped!

:up:
what, what, what?!?! when?
*runs to find schedules...
I'm sure it's not when I'm in the states, but...
:heart:guy garvey:heart:

:mad: ok, so i found the site, blah, blah, and they are in newport, ky when i'm home. This would be miraculous. It still is. BUT - no elbow then. I'm utterly heartbroken. Although seeing guy garvey in kentucky...something would just seem amiss.

where do you live?? Sorry, not that you have to write where you live or anything...anyway, I'll probably be there too. It's on oct 8th, right? I still need to get tickets. I really wish elbow were there for that one... :sigh:
ah, well, can't complain.

Has ANYONE watched the video for Nacher Anthem on the Sumday cd?

I highly recommend it, if you enjoy laughing. It cracks me up. :up:

jkayet said:
where do you live?? Sorry, not that you have to write where you live or anything...anyway, I'll probably be there too. It's on oct 8th, right? I still need to get tickets. I really wish elbow were there for that one... :sigh:
ah, well, can't complain.

I live in the Cincinnati area, and Southgate house is about 5 minutes from me....

you can get tickets here

Southgate House Tix...

Elvis Presley said:

I live in the Cincinnati area, and Southgate house is about 5 minutes from me....

you can get tickets here

Southgate House Tix...
thank you!

I think I"ll go...fits in my schedule and I'll need all the happiness possible after leaving here... :scream:

*edited b/c i realize i sound like i'm whining. not really. home can be good.

Last edited:
Yay for old threads...... but I have no idea why the D is capitalized, must have happened when it was merged.

Well, much to my dismay, Grandaddy unfortunately have broken up in the last 6 years since this thread was active. Lucky for me and all other Grandaddy missers, now-beardless-Grandaddy-frontman, Jason Lytle, delivered a delicious solo album last week called 'Yours Truly, The Commuter'. It's probably a bit premature for me to say this, but I'm going to anyway...... it's far better than Fambly Cat, it may even be just as good as their glory day albums. Yes, the second half of the album is maybe a bit weaker than the first half, but most Grandaddy fans are probably used to that at this point. Regardless, it's good. Seriously peeps, if you were a Grandaddy fan back in the day, I think you're really gonna like his solo album.

I've gotta give props for how the album begins as well, perfect comeback lyrcis:

Last thing I heard I was left for dead
Well I could give two shits about what they said
I may be limping, but I'm coming home

All work and no play might have done me in
So I'm stoked I'm back after where I've been
I may be limping, but I'm coming home

I just read your original post from 6 years ago and if they really do sound like Radiohead meets Pavement...count me in. Radiohead and Pavement are two pretty cool bands (understatement of the day).

I really miss these guys sometimes. I still listen to tracks from their glory days every so often. Similar to my reasons for loving Dismemberment Plan, these guys had a fairly unique sound and style going for a short while there, and really felt like they were on to something. It's a shame things didn't work out, and the last EP and album were a little disappointing (despite still having some good songs).

Also, these are two of my favorite album covers from the last few decade or so:

8ccf828fd7a077c56e5b1110.L.jpg

Grandaddy-Sumday.jpg

i never heard a whole lot, maybe 5 or 6 songs. but what i did hear was definitely good.

Ha, I still remember that day quite well. :up:

Glad you're a fanny as well, GAFfer.

as do i. well, sort of. it's funny, i remember i bought 2 other albums that day, although i can't remember what they were. i'd say green day's warning album, although i know i'm only thinking of that because it came out the same day kid A did, not HTTT. the only real memory i have is a very distinct memory of exactly what sidewalk in northampton i was walking down and exactly which trash barrell i threw the cellophane from HTTT as i unwrapped it. right around the corner from the first local record store to go used to be. those were the days.

as do i. well, sort of. it's funny, i remember i bought 2 other albums that day, although i can't remember what they were.

I looked it up, Blackout came out the same day. Not sure about what else, it looks like Metallica's St. Anger did also.... (which I unfortunately bought, but am fairly certain I didn't get it that same day)

I looked it up, Blackout came out the same day. Not sure about what else, it looks like Metallica's St. Anger did also.... (which I unfortunately bought, but am fairly certain I didn't get it that same day)

well, we know what album i bought then.

\m/

(LOL, hardly!)

I heard Sophtware Slump a few weeks ago and was really impressed. It had a lot of electronic elements that I dug; the production was great. I wish I knew this thread had existed the day I heard it so I could have said more, but yeah, I'll be listening to more of their work in the future.

Grandaddy to reissue The Sophtware Slump / Music News // Drowned In Sound

Grandaddy's The Sophtware Slump, I am not afraid to say, may be one of the greatest records made in the 2000s, if not actually of all time. If ever a record deserved to be reissued it's this one. Obviously not in a silly 1CD type affair but a double album. Good news, then, because that is exactly is what is happening.

The Sophtware Slump will be reissued through Universal/V2 and will come out on August 22 this year. It will come with two discs, as mentioned above. On disc one you'll find all the original stuff, the original songs in the original order. Why would it be any other way?

Disc two apparently includes some extras, like non-album singles, the customary b-sides, EP tracks and various other bits and bobs like unreleased demos for albums tracks 'Hewlett's Daughter' and 'Beautiful Ground', plus an unused take/version of 'He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's The Pilot'.

Excellent. Jason Lytle had this to say about it. Pretty much reiterates what has already been said above, but what the hell, here we go again...

"I'm pleased to acknowledge the reissue ofTthe Sophtware Slump. All of this is occurring in honor of the approximate 11 year anniversary of the Sophtware Slump. Even more exciting (in my opinion) is the CD release of rarities, B-sides, and etc. material that came about during the Sophtware Slump period. Yes.....11 years. Much better than 10."

I will be buying this. I was just listening to them randomly last night and having good music memories. :up:

Grandaddy Announce Reunion Shows, Including Outside Lands Festival in San Francisco | News | Pitchfork

The California indie rock band Grandaddy have made good on their promise to reunite for a string of shows this summer, with just-announced dates in Europe and the U.S. for August and September. Check out the dates below. (Thanks to reader Ryan Murphy for the tip.)

The band's only scheduled American date so far is at San Francisco's Outside Lands Festival, taking place August 10-12 in Golden Gate Park. The lineup also includes Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Jack White, Stevie Wonder, Metallica, Beck, Sigur Rós, Justice, Big Boi, Santigold, the Kills, Zola Jesus, Passion Pit, Sharon Van Etten, Washed Out, the Walkmen, Andrew Bird, Tame Impala, Thee Oh Sees, Regina Spektor, Franz Ferdinand, Explosions in the Sky, Amadou & Mariam, YACHT, Tanlines, Father John Misty, Die Antwoord, Foo Fighters, Bloc Party, Tennis, Alabama Shakes, MSTRKRFT, Skrillex, and more.

Grandaddy:

08-10-12 San Francisco, CA - Outside Lands
08-25 Pully, Switzerland - For Noise Festival
08-26 Paris, France - Rock En Seine
08-29 Manchester, England - Ritz
08-30 Glasgow, Scotland - ABC
09-02 Salisbury, England - End of the Road Festival
09-04 London, England - Shepherd's Bush Empire

:ohmy:

Grandaddy's Jason Lytle Announces New Solo Album Dept. of Disappearance, Shares Title Track | News | Pitchfork

It's a big year for Grandaddy fans-- the band is playing reunion shows, and now, frontman Jason Lytle has announced a new solo album. Dept. of Disappearance is out October 16 via Anti-. That's the title track above.

Dept. of Disappearance:

01 Dept. of Disappearance
02 Matterhorn
03 Young Saints
04 Hangtown
05 Get Up and Go
06 Last Problem of the Alps
07 Willow Wand Willow Wand
08 Somewhere There's a Someone
09 Chopin Drives Truck to the Dump
10 Your Final Setting Sun
11 Gimme Click Gimme Grid

adac3504.jpg

The last solo album had a couple really good tracks on it, look forward to hearing the single from this tonight.

Back
Top Bottom