GRAMMYs 2016 Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just watched the Lady Gaga thing. I'm not a fan, so maybe I'm biased, but that was just straight up garbage. Like some sad Las Vegas act. Live medleys in general suck and this was no exception. Maybe if it had been 3 songs in 6 minutes instead of double the titles in that amount of time, it might have been palatable. Or not.

They clearly needed to pay tribute and yet I can't think of anything they could have done that would have been worthy. An all-star cover of Ziggy Stardust, for example, would have been equally lame.

That would have been much better
tribute to BB King was good, of course K Lamar was strong, T Swift AotY speech was good, basically said Kanye sucks balls

and that James Bay guy with the really bad falsetto. He was boring as fuck in that performance tonight.

NPR published an article yesterday about the rise of the overused male falsetto and if it's related to the rise of the man bun?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hey

we forgot about one very special album

it was the greatest rock album of 2015 according to the Grammys

nothing else involving guitars came close

peak rock artistry

here goes

drones.jpg

I am going to choose to believe this is a joke and move on with my life because an aneurysm would not be tremendous fun.

Man that Kendrick performance was enough to turn me into a committed fan. I've listened to TPAB a few times and really admired it, but it's never clicked for me in a meaningful way. I think I get it now.

Also maybe now that 1989's won everybody can stop talking about it/releasing singles for a breath or two.

Just watched the Lady Gaga thing. I'm not a fan, so maybe I'm biased, but that was just straight up garbage. Like some sad Las Vegas act. Live medleys in general suck and this was no exception. Maybe if it had been 3 songs in 6 minutes instead of double the titles in that amount of time, it might have been palatable. Or not.

They clearly needed to pay tribute and yet I can't think of anything they could have done that would have been worthy. An all-star cover of Ziggy Stardust, for example, would have been equally lame.

Well said! sounded like one of those fucking awful cruise ship cabaret acts, who in gods name thought she would be a good choice to perform a tribute to the one & only!

The only thing I liked about the GaGa performance was the cool visual at the start.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I was at a very loud, raucous party, and the only things the room shut up for were:

Hamilton
Kendrick
Tori Kelly/James Bay (because half the room were huge Tori Kelly fans)

The idea of Paul McCartney, Beck and Taylor Hawkins being denied entry to Tyga's Grammy afterparty is kind of hilarious.

To Pimp A Butterfly is a great album and probably should have won, but it's not like it lost to Steely Dan.

1989 was a huge album, and as good as a pop album can get. I prefer Butterfly, too, but the faux outrage in the media is a little much.

The Grammys are notoriously bad about honoring hip hop. There have been exactly two rap/hip-hop albums that have one Album of the Year.

It's a problem. The Recording Academy has never been very good at honoring the best Rap Album, let alone honoring a rap album as Album of the year.

To Pimp A Butterfly is a great album and probably should have won, but it's not like it lost to Steely Dan.

1989 was a huge album, and as good as a pop album can get. I prefer Butterfly, too, but the faux outrage in the media is a little much.

Not really. Taylor has won it before. It's a good fun pop album (though I can think of tons better pop albums, released in the past year or two alone) but it has no business beating an album as good, as important as To Pimp a Butterfly, particularly not when your country has a history of overlooking black art for safer white art.

Taylor herself has made three pop albums that are better than 1989.

I hope the next album is less cold and streamlined. It probably will be.

Back
Top Bottom