Good or Bad- Coldplay and other contemporary U2 imitators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HBK-79

War Child
Hey everyone. I know there has been much discussion about this topic. But I just wanted to expand on it a little further.

As you already know, there are many alt-rock bands that are being labeled by critics as “the new U2.” There are many acts have put some sort of twist on the U2 sound and made it their own. These are the kind of acts that I like to call “U2 for the younger crowds.”

I can think of the 5 of these types of acts:

Coldplay = a Radiohead version of U2

Angels & Airwaves = The Cure version of U2

Snow Patrol = an R.E.M. version of U2 (I couldn’t think of anything else to call them)

The Fray
= a Counting Crows version of U2

The Killers = a Morrissey version of U2

What is it that makes these bands "sound" like U2? I mean- Why do people compare bands like Coldplay to U2?

Do you guys agree with these comparisons? And do you guys think the presence of these “U2 rip-offs” is a good or bad thing?

Did you really have to shoot this persons thread down so rudely, though?

It's not directed at the original poster. It is my reaction after seeing tons and tons of threads about Coldplay being the next U2... Are Killers the next U2?... Who will carry U2's torch? Are Arcade Fire the next U2?...... :crack: Sorry if I sounded mean but it's not like I'm locking this thread and preventing any discussion from taking place. Carry on.

I can think of the 5 of these types of acts:

Coldplay = a Radiohead version of U2

Angels & Airwaves = The Cure version of U2

Snow Patrol = an R.E.M. version of U2 (I couldn’t think of anything else to call them)

The Fray
= a Counting Crows version of U2

The Killers = a Morrissey version of U2

Do you guys agree with these comparisons? And do you guys think the presence of these “U2 rip-offs” is a good or bad thing?

These comparisons are stretching it a bit and don't make too much sense to me. You lost me from the beginning.....Radiohead and Coldplay have absolutely nothing to do with one another and if you combine them, to me, they still would sound nothing like U2.

I always find it strange that U2 fans seem to hate any other band being influenced by U2, you think it would be something fans would be happy about or proud of.

That all said, I think calling people "U2 rip offs" is generally a bit harsh. Granted, I'm not greatly familiar with a good amount mentioned, but what I have heard doesn't even strike me as entirely U2. U2 themselves did not create chiming guitars. U2 did not create anthemic choruses. U2 themselves have blatantly shown "influence" from numerous other bands through out their entire career. Given that, are U2 themselves "rip offs"? I personally wouldn't say that, and thus find it completely unfair to label any other band who shows their influences as such either, particularly when those bands have been successful on their own merits.

The weirdest thing on that whole thing was Radiohead compared to Coldplay, as Laz and Lance said.

Coldplay a Radiohead version of U2? They both have bald drummers? I like Coldplay, but I've never really heard that much U2 in them, the guitarist is obviously influenced by Edge and the band are huge U2 fans but don't really sound much like U2 at all to me.

Bands get inspired by other bands and they make a somewhat similar sound in some regards. I mean what were U2? A Joy Division version of Television?

coldplay also has a singer, and use lights. in fact i've seen chris martin wear sunglasses. they're a pure u2 rip off. they might as well call themselves a cover band.

Coldplay are such U2 copy cats! They have a bald one! A good looking one! An over the top one with an ego! And someone else who's just there! They're copied U2's formula for music :sad:

I always find it strange that U2 fans seem to hate any other band being influenced by U2, you think it would be something fans would be happy about or proud of.

U2 themselves did not create chiming guitars. U2 did not create anthemic choruses. U2 themselves have blatantly shown "influence" from numerous other bands through out their entire career. Given that, are U2 themselves "rip offs"? .

i already brought this up before so don't waste your time. no one wants to see the obvious, just make dumb remarks about "rip-offs", "imitators", "wannabe's", etc, etc.

I based these comparisons on what others have said in articles, album reviews, etc.

I just want to know why critics use U2 as the benchmark when judging the quality of a new band's music.

People have always said "Coldplay is the new U2." But I don't see it. I find Coldplay rather boring, and their atmospherics just remind me of Radiohead.

I don't necessarily think that the media cites U2 as the benchmark for quality when talking about these new bands. "New U2" tag often seems to me a way of saying, "band with a big soaring anthemic sound and (a potential for) huge mainstream popularity".

I read in some magazine Metallica quoting to be like/or 'the new U2'.

I dont get it, they are in a different league.

?

To be honest, the whole thing is daft.

if there is a group inspired by U2, I guess thats a different thing. But to say they are being U2, best not to tie yourself up by the balls over that one.

Always an absorbing topic.

Firstly, it's unfair on both bands to properly compare Coldplay and Radiohead. They are two bands with completely different agendas (none more valid than the other). Coldplay aren't properly musically 'inspired' by Radiohead; rather Radiohead are sounds that they grew up listening to, very little of it (thankfully) filters through into Coldplay's music. Radiohead on the other hand, don't really want much to do with soaring choruses or the public spotlight or the "gig as an event" idea, they're more about hibernating in the studio and experimenting with and bending sounds, and translating them into the live realm.
If we need an equation: Travis + Echo & Bunnymen? + U2 = Coldplay?

The link between Coldplay and U2 is undeniably there. I for one, think it's fucking great. To me there are U2-esque sounds that have been co-opted for the noughties, and I love it. Meanwhile, I maintain that there is genuine authenticity in Coldplay's music in the sense they are doing what they wanna do, and doing it very well.

Angles & Airwaves, as the frontman himself said, are heavily inspired by U2, and it's undeniably there. I do like the 4 or 5 tunes I've heard, and I'm a casual fan of Blink 182, so I'm all over the vocals A&A. The Cure though, I'm sure there's someone out there with a greater sense of ambience who could be used in an equation with U2?????

Snow Patrol, I only know their singles. I'm not really into them proper (do like the new single though), and I suppose there is some U2 influence to be cited, but I see it as credible. A natural progression on what U2 have done in the past, I suppose. I don't know 'em well enough though. REM link is difficult for me to kinda recognise. U2 and REM, while they have had considerably and chronologically parallel careers, aren't linked musically in my opinion.

The Fray, only know about two songs. I've always thought of them as the the American music industry's answer to Coldplay, cashing in the success of the English alternative?

The Killers, U2-influence is defintely there I reckon, but it's certainly no more prominent than a Springsteen lyrical influence and the kind of Joy Division/New Order revival adopted by other American bands (Bravery, Interpol). Flowers might be a fan of Moz, but who isn't. Nothing unique there. Most current lyricists cite him as a major inspiration and how couldn't he be. The greatest lyricist of all time possibly?

But this discussion is all very worthy. I've always found it very difficult to identify the legacy of what U2 have achieved with Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree, ATYCLB and it seems to be considered to be quite vague universally. I actually have a suspicion that proper U2-copycats (Headless Chickens 'Cruise Control' is by far the most U2-esque song I've ever heard - more specifically Achtung Baby-esque) have existed in hundreds over time yet were never good enough to prolong their careers or attract proper critical and commercial acclaim. If this is the case, U2 might become arguably the most inimitable band of all time, and this is something special.

mika-with-gun-in-mouthWEB.jpg

It's not directed at the original poster.

Sure it is. He made the thread, after all, and is, therefore, adding his voice to the crowd that you are "shooting down so rudely". Personally, I don't think you're in the wrong here (I'm tired of the comparisons as well), but it's pretty clear that you are, however indirectly, expressing your irritation toward them making this thread.

Back
Top Bottom