Good or Bad- Coldplay and other contemporary U2 imitators - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:38 AM
can't people realize that everyone is derivative of everyone? and everyone takes a little something from those in the past, and if no one ever did that, all we'd have in rock and roll is the american blues and jazz performers of the 40s and 50s?

Old 10-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Not whatever it was that first made sound; that was the only true original moment in sound/music I'm afraid.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #18
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:38 AM
NASA, the band, had a hand in all of this I'll bet.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I always find it strange that U2 fans seem to hate any other band being influenced by U2, you think it would be something fans would be happy about or proud of.

U2 themselves did not create chiming guitars. U2 did not create anthemic choruses. U2 themselves have blatantly shown "influence" from numerous other bands through out their entire career. Given that, are U2 themselves "rip offs"? .
i already brought this up before so don't waste your time. no one wants to see the obvious, just make dumb remarks about "rip-offs", "imitators", "wannabe's", etc, etc.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 10:38 AM
I based these comparisons on what others have said in articles, album reviews, etc.

I just want to know why critics use U2 as the benchmark when judging the quality of a new band's music.

People have always said "Coldplay is the new U2." But I don't see it. I find Coldplay rather boring, and their atmospherics just remind me of Radiohead.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:56 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:38 PM
I don't necessarily think that the media cites U2 as the benchmark for quality when talking about these new bands. "New U2" tag often seems to me a way of saying, "band with a big soaring anthemic sound and (a potential for) huge mainstream popularity".
Old 10-27-2008, 05:08 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 03:38 PM
I read in some magazine Metallica quoting to be like/or 'the new U2'.

I dont get it, they are in a different league.

?

To be honest, the whole thing is daft.

if there is a group inspired by U2, I guess thats a different thing. But to say they are being U2, best not to tie yourself up by the balls over that one.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:50 AM   #23
45:33

Local Time: 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracene View Post
I don't necessarily think that the media cites U2 as the benchmark for quality when talking about these new bands. "New U2" tag often seems to me a way of saying, "band with a big soaring anthemic sound and (a potential for) huge mainstream popularity".
/all
Old 10-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:38 AM
Always an absorbing topic.

Firstly, it's unfair on both bands to properly compare Coldplay and Radiohead. They are two bands with completely different agendas (none more valid than the other). Coldplay aren't properly musically 'inspired' by Radiohead; rather Radiohead are sounds that they grew up listening to, very little of it (thankfully) filters through into Coldplay's music. Radiohead on the other hand, don't really want much to do with soaring choruses or the public spotlight or the "gig as an event" idea, they're more about hibernating in the studio and experimenting with and bending sounds, and translating them into the live realm.
If we need an equation: Travis + Echo & Bunnymen? + U2 = Coldplay?

The link between Coldplay and U2 is undeniably there. I for one, think it's fucking great. To me there are U2-esque sounds that have been co-opted for the noughties, and I love it. Meanwhile, I maintain that there is genuine authenticity in Coldplay's music in the sense they are doing what they wanna do, and doing it very well.

Angles & Airwaves, as the frontman himself said, are heavily inspired by U2, and it's undeniably there. I do like the 4 or 5 tunes I've heard, and I'm a casual fan of Blink 182, so I'm all over the vocals A&A. The Cure though, I'm sure there's someone out there with a greater sense of ambience who could be used in an equation with U2?????

Snow Patrol, I only know their singles. I'm not really into them proper (do like the new single though), and I suppose there is some U2 influence to be cited, but I see it as credible. A natural progression on what U2 have done in the past, I suppose. I don't know 'em well enough though. REM link is difficult for me to kinda recognise. U2 and REM, while they have had considerably and chronologically parallel careers, aren't linked musically in my opinion.

The Fray, only know about two songs. I've always thought of them as the the American music industry's answer to Coldplay, cashing in the success of the English alternative?

The Killers, U2-influence is defintely there I reckon, but it's certainly no more prominent than a Springsteen lyrical influence and the kind of Joy Division/New Order revival adopted by other American bands (Bravery, Interpol). Flowers might be a fan of Moz, but who isn't. Nothing unique there. Most current lyricists cite him as a major inspiration and how couldn't he be. The greatest lyricist of all time possibly?

But this discussion is all very worthy. I've always found it very difficult to identify the legacy of what U2 have achieved with Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree, ATYCLB and it seems to be considered to be quite vague universally. I actually have a suspicion that proper U2-copycats (Headless Chickens 'Cruise Control' is by far the most U2-esque song I've ever heard - more specifically Achtung Baby-esque) have existed in hundreds over time yet were never good enough to prolong their careers or attract proper critical and commercial acclaim. If this is the case, U2 might become arguably the most inimitable band of all time, and this is something special.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Old 10-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

any band that has massive world wide success by their 2nd album can, by rule, not be the "new u2"
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #27
Blue Meth Addict

Hiyoooooooo!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #28
The Male

Local Time: 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
It's not directed at the original poster.
Sure it is. He made the thread, after all, and is, therefore, adding his voice to the crowd that you are "shooting down so rudely". Personally, I don't think you're in the wrong here (I'm tired of the comparisons as well), but it's pretty clear that you are, however indirectly, expressing your irritation toward them making this thread.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #29
Blue Meth Addict

Stop being so rude to Zootsuit, LeMeL.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #30
The Male

Local Time: 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Stop being so rude to Zootsuit, LeMeL.