Good or Bad- Coldplay and other contemporary U2 imitators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that the original poster forgot to mention that The White Stripes = a Led Zeppelin version of U2.

And that the Raconteurs = a The White Stripes version of U2.

Did you really have to shoot this persons thread down so rudely, though?

well, either he does it gently, or i do it with a far more visceral and highly offensive approach. in the end, the original poster is spared from a much worse verbal lashing, and the culprit - in this case zootlesque - should be congratulated for taking the initiative of preventing a far worse situation from occuring.

:)

I always find it strange that U2 fans seem to hate any other band being influenced by U2, you think it would be something fans would be happy about or proud of.

That all said, I think calling people "U2 rip offs" is generally a bit harsh. Granted, I'm not greatly familiar with a good amount mentioned, but what I have heard doesn't even strike me as entirely U2. U2 themselves did not create chiming guitars. U2 did not create anthemic choruses. U2 themselves have blatantly shown "influence" from numerous other bands through out their entire career. Given that, are U2 themselves "rip offs"? I personally wouldn't say that, and thus find it completely unfair to label any other band who shows their influences as such either, particularly when those bands have been successful on their own merits.

Agreed, say no more.

The one thing most (not all, but most) of the bands namechecked in the first post have in common, is blandness.

I shudder to think, but grudgingly acknowledge it probably may be so, that U2's great legacy to contemporary bands is blandness.

yes, music really is about looks nowadays, guys. i agree with unicorn.

zedbetty, you can't possibly tell me that travis, coldplay and the killers are bland? certainly not the former two?

ha

no really, i was thinking when i heard violet hill for the eleventieth time on some radio in some shop how they indeed are nothing more than lifestyle music.

yes, lifestyle music.

not that a lot of new u2 music is much better than that, though.

nevertheless, u2 put in 2 fantastic decades of great music whereas most of their current mainstream contempararies haven't even come close.

Lifestyle music....?

What music isn't lifestyle or is accompanied by some lifestyle. All metal music has it's "scenes" that dictate lifestyle.

Even Radiohead has a lifestyle element, in that many Radiohead's fans decorate themselves in their pompousity.

And to dismiss Travis as bland exhibits an ignorance of Travis.

Lifestyle music....?

What music isn't lifestyle or is accompanied by some lifestyle. All metal music has it's "scenes" that dictate lifestyle.

Even Radiohead has a lifestyle element, in that many Radiohead's fans decorate themselves in their pompousity.

And to dismiss Travis as bland exhibits an ignorance of Travis.

lifestyle as in you going shopping and you hear travis and coldplay whether it's at globus or h+m. it's engrained in the mainstream conscienceness and is a part of every day modern culture. each song sort of blends into the next, and nothing really stands out.

honestly, when was the last time you went out and did some shopping or had a bit of a lookabout and heard anything remotely unique or different? chances are, you probably didn't even notice the music at all which only further proves my point.

do radiohead have pompous fans? of course, but at least their music is somewhat unique and no matter how many times bands try to make another "bends" they fall flat on their faces.

The worst 'lifestyle music' is when they take an already bland song (coldplay, say) but it's not bland enough, and so a specially recorded muzak version on sax or something, will be played in the shopping centre.

I'd love to hear some thrash or doomy metal playing at the local shopping emporium. Not because I particularly like such music, but I'd get a real laugh out of the dissonance between 'shopping' and waves of awful, angry, pain-filled sound.

honestly, when was the last time you went out and did some shopping or had a bit of a lookabout and heard anything remotely unique or different? chances are, you probably didn't even notice the music at all which only further proves my point.

I'm always conscious of the music. The only time I'm unconscious of the music is when I decide to be or I am distracted or if it's bland. I'd know if I heard Travis or Coldplay, it'd excite me.

And of course you are assuming that it is a given that Coldplay = bland and Radiohead = interesting.

I can’t really comment on the ‘lifestyle’ factor too much, other than to say that it’s actually a direct reference from Thom Yorke. ;)

We all borrow from others, when it comes right down to it. (This sentence structure, for example, is probably overtly influenced by Mrs. Bailey, my Grade 3 teacher.) She probably learned to spell from Mr. Dooglesworth, or some other person from her past.

Back
Top Bottom