Goldfrapp - Head First, album discussion second

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I figured we already had a Goldfrapp thread, as we do have some fans of theirs here at Interference, but I suppose I was mistaken.

Anyway, their new album Head First (a strong candidate for a plethora of Lance's mom and other miscellaneous Shuttlecock jokes) will be released Tuesday (it already leaked if you don't want to wait), and I just wanted to let you know that it's a very strong record. I'm only familiar with a couple of their singles, but this one has reeled me in. It's absolutely shameless, cheesy (dig the cover; I didn't know Hendrix had two posthumous releases coming out this year) and derivative, but everything is in its right place; from the shimmering synths, to the cool feminine vocals, right on down to the happy-go-lucky piano of the lovestruck "Alive," this record is right in line with countless great 2008 and 2009 synthpop releases, but holds the right to be ridiculous dear.

Lead single:

YouTube - Goldfrapp - Rocket

I like the album but it's probably my least favourite release from Goldfrapp so far. The whole 80s synthpop revival thing has gone for far too long already and Supernature (probably the album that's closest to Head First) had much stronger songs and more of an idiosyncratic feel to it too.

Still, Rocket is pretty damn awesome.

I'm looking forward to it. Supernature and Seventh Tree have been my favorite Goldfrapp albums.

Their first two albums are a little too weird for me, so I definitely prefer their more "mainstream" sounding stuff. I can live with that. ;)

The whole 80s synthpop revival thing has gone for far too long already

I think it's maybe peaked over the past two years? Grunge and Britpop lasted longer than that.

Personally, I don't see the harm in it proliferating pop music, but I don't like the thought that bands feel they have to make a synthpop record because of it. There is a snowball effect, of course; one artist hears a fantastic track from another artist that's heavy on the synths, and then they try to emulate it. There's also the commercial element. But the truth is that forcing a synthpop album into your discography due to industry pressures will only result in it dating more quickly than the others.

That being said, I'm REALLY loving much of what has come from Newer Wave (honestly, despite the purist in me, I largely prefer it to its ancestry): Cut Copy, Passion Pit, Neon Neon, TV On The Radio, Phoenix and Yeah Yeah Yeahs' most recent records, Bat For Lashes and, of course, Head First. Great songwriting doesn't age, and I think a lot of those artists are skilled in that regard.

That being said, I'm REALLY loving much of what has come from Newer Wave (honestly, despite the purist in me, I largely prefer it to its ancestry): Cut Copy, Passion Pit, Neon Neon, TV On The Radio, Phoenix and Yeah Yeah Yeahs' most recent records, Bat For Lashes and, of course, Head First.

I guess I just don't have a basic love for the genre, and pretty much all of the bands/albums you've mentioned left me cold. Yeah Yeah Yeahs album especially was a disappointment, though I loved and still love Zero. I'm not sure if I'd group Bat For Lashes with the above-mentioned, though.

Hmm, not sure yet if I like Rocket. Supernature and Black Cherry each had a couple of great songs but also too much filler. Seventh Tree and Felt Mountain are strong throughout so I was hoping they’d stay/go more in this direction.

If you're new to Goldfrapp, or just haven't seen any of her music videos, do yourself a favor and spend 30 mins or so checking some out. The vast majority are EXTREMELY entertaining. Music video wise, she's one of the most consistent artists I can think of. I would just post an example or two, but I'd probably end up posting most all of them if I did. They're really that good.

Goldfrapp are coming to Melbourne in August! :hyper: I've still got reservations about the new album but I'm excited about seeing them live again. Last time I've seen them was one of the most entertaining concerts I've been to.

Cause... I'm bored:

#1) Supernature
#2) Felt Mountain
#3) Seventh Tree
#4) Head First
#5) Black Cherry

and I really like Black Cherry. :) Head First comes close to be pretty solid, but it has a few "problems". It is a very good album nonetheless

Back
Top Bottom