Frusciante leaves RHCP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm shocked that people defend him at all. He just writes the most consistently shitty lyrics of any popular band I can think of.

Why should you be shocked? While you were bouncing around in your playpen, RHCP were busy being one of the top artists in the world.

Why should you be shocked? While you were bouncing around in your playpen, RHCP were busy being one of the top artists in the world.

Which they could have managed, quite easily, with the raving homeless man they found rummaging through Flea's garbage. I'm sure the competition between him and Kiedis was all kinds of fierce in the early years.

But seriously, there's no reason to hate Kiedis. He's RHCP's Ringo Starr. Or Fredo Corleone. Unfortunately, he wound up being the lead singer for whatever reason.

They're not about the lyrics. Nobody cares about RHCP lyrics. Keidis is the front man and represents the spirit and personality of the band. He can't sing and he's not a poet but he's got a whole other thing going on. It's not even that I'm the biggest fan in the world but they were cool and way fun back in the day.

Which they could have managed, quite easily, with the raving homeless man they found rummaging through Flea's garbage. I'm sure the competition between him and Kiedis was all kinds of fierce in the early years.

But seriously, there's no reason to hate Kiedis. He's RHCP's Ringo Starr. Or Fredo Corleone. Unfortunately, he wound up being the lead singer for whatever reason.

The homeless guy didn't wanna take off his shirt in front of a bunch of people. Just the rats in his dumpster. :wink:

With the talents of the other members, especially Frusciante, they should have been so much better. Kiedis ruined all of that by just simply being terrible as a lead singer. Maybe it comes across better live, sure, but there's nothing he can do live that can make up for how awful his parts of the songs are.

I understand the mainstream successes of the band since they've been catchy. That's about as far as my understanding goes.

but there's nothing he can do live that can make up for how awful his parts of the songs are.

Well see, that's where you're wrong.

kiedis.jpg
:wink:

No, he is. There's literally nothing good that he does. He's not a good vocalist, he's not good at writing melodies, and he's probably one of the worst rock lyricists ever.

what i meant by "not as bad as you think" is that i don't think RHCP are completely ruined by Keidis.

They're not about the lyrics. Nobody cares about RHCP lyrics. Keidis is the front man and represents the spirit and personality of the band. He can't sing and he's not a poet but he's got a whole other thing going on. It's not even that I'm the biggest fan in the world but they were cool and way fun back in the day.

:up: if they come here again i'll be seeing them live for sure.

Looks like it's official. Frusciante is gone. He posted this statement on his blog and MySpace page.

When I quit the band, over a year ago, we were on an indefinite hiatus. There was no drama or anger involved, and the other guys were very understanding. They are supportive of my doing whatever makes me happy and that goes both ways.

To put it simply, my musical interests have led me in a different direction. Upon rejoining, and throughout my time in the band, I was very excited about exploring the musical possibilities inherent in a rock band, and doing so with those people in particular. A couple of years ago, I began to feel that same excitement again, but this time it was about making a different kind of music, alone, and being my own engineer.

I really love the band and what we did. I understand and value that my work with them means a lot to many people, but I have to follow my interests. For me, art has never been something done out of a sense of duty. It is something I do because it is really fun, exciting, and interesting. Over the last 12 years, I have changed, as a person and artist, to such a degree that to do further work along the lines I did with the band would be to go against my own nature. There was no choice involved in this decision. I simply have to be what I am, and have to do what I must do.

Sending love and gratitude to you all."

well, like i said, for the people that do like the band on here, this means better chance of them playing more of their entire catalog . John never wanted to play anything narravo played on, and also his own attitude toward some earlier stuff he did with the chili peppers meant some stuff was out of the question for live sets. Now, with someone totally neutral and new, the band should be open to more options. Might feel weird to see someone else play californacation stuff, since that was the album that they got back together on and was almost a autobio of what the band had been through in the 90's.

With the talents of the other members, especially Frusciante, they should have been so much better. Kiedis ruined all of that by just simply being terrible as a lead singer. Maybe it comes across better live, sure, but there's nothing he can do live that can make up for how awful his parts of the songs are.

I understand the mainstream successes of the band since they've been catchy. That's about as far as my understanding goes.

Kiedis is by far the weak link, but I think your hatred of him is a little on the severe side. Totally cool. I heard he's gonna be in Don Giovanni next Spring.

I like portions of their discography, they've never been a favorite of mine either, and people could do much worse than this band, that's for sure. Frusciante going on his own is awesome, as is hearing Flea in a different context in other side projects, so at least we'll have that.

They are gonna be like one of those bands that had a few guitarists come through the band. And the fans will debate over and over who was the better fit. Depends on how well this new guy does.

Nah, they'll be more like Chicago, who lost their lead guitarist and immediately turned to shit.

Will they reunite with Dave Navarro ?

I was thinking the same thing. While it is possible, I think it will be unlikely to happen. It seems everyone loves Dave, but it's tough for him to stay in bands. Like Jane's Addiction for instance. :wink:

John can't be replaced, but the other guys are forging ahead with work on a new RHCP's album. It will be interesting to see who they get as their lead guitarist.

Didnt they say a while back that the Nevaro thing was a mistake? That they respect him and his music, they just didnt work well together?

Flea "We're jamming and that works really well. We don't talk much about songs or how songs should be constructed. We just start to play and see what happens, how they develop. We improvise a lot. We find a groove. We experiment and somehow it turns into music. With Dave (Navarro), it wasn't possible to work like this. With him it was more like a long thought process, endless discussions and it took a long time. We talked about what riff should be played and all that. With John it's completely different. We just play. I don't mean to dis Dave in any way. He is a great person and he's a great guitarist, but the way we work is just different. You never know why it happens with some people and not with others."

Interview with the Red Hot Chili Peppers (NY Rock)

So ya, probably not

dave narravo's album with them is the rhcp version of pop . heated and heavily debated. You can find a bunch of OHM threads on their boards. It's different because unlike u2, it involves a different member of the band. But it sounded different then everything else. They also experience a high level of complaints about the live sets, as do u2. In fact they are the same exact complaints.

Kiedis is by far the weak link, but I think your hatred of him is a little on the severe side. Totally cool. I heard he's gonna be in Don Giovanni next Spring.

I like portions of their discography, they've never been a favorite of mine either, and people could do much worse than this band, that's for sure. Frusciante going on his own is awesome, as is hearing Flea in a different context in other side projects, so at least we'll have that.

I am severe on Kiedis, admittedly. I just feel like the band's such a disappointment because of him. The songs when he's harmless tend to be their best (I love "Wet Sand"), but with Frusciante tending to be as subtle and melodic as he usually is, it puts more focus on Kiedis. If they had a different lead singer, I feel like they could be great.

Oh well, there's always Frusciante's solo albums.

I still think that's bizarre, considering he was friends with and worked with Frusciante long before he ever worked with RHCP. Frusciante and he released an album together in 2004.

I am severe on Kiedis, admittedly. I just feel like the band's such a disappointment because of him. The songs when he's harmless tend to be their best (I love "Wet Sand"), but with Frusciante tending to be as subtle and melodic as he usually is, it puts more focus on Kiedis. If they had a different lead singer, I feel like they could be great.

Oh well, there's always Frusciante's solo albums.

I'd never say he's a great vocalist, and in fact, despite what I feel is an incredible musical combo in Frusciante and Flea, my desire to see them live was always not that great because Kiedis never sounded the same in the live RHCP videos I'd watch on youtube as he did on record. But on record, I think he's the perfect voice for RHCP; his funky, free, high-energy style matches the band's funky, free, high-energy style perfectly - which makes sense since, being a founding member, his musical inclinations(along with Flea's) gave birth to the band. While not by any stretch a technically great singer, I don't think he's nearly as terrible as you think he is, though I can understand how he could grate on some. Like I said, I think he's - stylistically and personality-wise - the only vocalist that would really work with the RHCP, I think he does what the band needs from him perfectly and in a way that only he could, and I think he's improved dramatically as the years have passed. I can't imagine anyone else singing with them.

As for Flea and Frusciante, I think they are two of the great rock musicians of their generation, and they're one of my favorite guitar-bass combos ever.

when the RHCP were last here, there was a gig played for free at Federation Square, in Melbourne. it was promoted as Chad Smith solo for half an hour. john frusciante came on stage, as did that josh bloke (assuming he was the keyboards bloke?) and flea on trumpet, no keidis, and they did an improv jam for 30 minutes.

remains one of the most brilliant musical things i've ever seen

John was the force behind the direction of the last 2 albums and a big part of cali. I think they played off of him alot more times then not. In fact, the guitar player on any given album has a great deal to do with how they are gonna approach things. More so then the edge,lol.

I still think that's bizarre, considering he was friends with and worked with Frusciante long before he ever worked with RHCP. Frusciante and he released an album together in 2004.

Not really bizarre considering he's toured with RHCP as a second guitarist and has collaborated extensively with Frusicante on most of his solo projects and Ataxia. It seems kind of natural to me, kind of like hiring from within instead of choosing someone who has never worked with them before :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom