FRIGHTENED RABBIT: The Winter of Mixed Drinks <3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since when has industrious become an interchangeable word for douchebag? :wink:

I absolutely hate the lead single. Hopefully it's a poor representation of the album as a whole, or this will be a big disappointment after the last album.

See, I wasn't a bit fan of it the first and only time I heard it a couple months ago - but I listened to the album for the first time last night and really liked it. It's not as raw as TMOF, this album, but it's still pretty heavy as you know FR can be.

How is it all lyrically? My biggest problem with the single was that it felt way "pop single-ish", and not nearly enough "Frightened Rabbit-ish".

I've only heard one clunker so far - "She was not the cure for cancer". I haven't really given it a deep listen yet, mainly because I've been studying while I've been listening, but it seems as if its all very FR. Including Swim, I think it's very FR.

my mother emailed me a link from something npr had about this album. i no longer know what to expect from stuff my mother prefaces with, "i like this." i was going to check it out, but i have yet to do so.

OMG JACKINTHEBOX!

I'm back... I think, and I'm still alive

I was bored (no pun intended) last night, so decided to come back, did you miss me guys? :flirt:

well, on topic, I've listened the new Frightened Rabbit, I like the mood of the album, I'm not sure if it is that great but is a good listen, no doubt

i've listened twice now and i am really liking this album. i've actually never heard their debut, so that will be my next download.

as much as i like this album now, i don't know yet if i'll remember this album come the end of the year when i'm listing my favorite albums of 2010.

The last album wasn't their debut, if that's the one you're referring to. This is their third.

They apparently covered Everything In It's Right Place on a Radiohead tribute album that came out a couple weeks ago. :huh:

The last album wasn't their debut, if that's the one you're referring to. This is their third.

They apparently covered Everything In It's Right Place on a Radiohead tribute album that came out a couple weeks ago. :huh:

oh really? sweet. then i have two more albums to catch up on. yeah.....this was one of those bands i never paid attention to until about 7:30pm yesterday.

gosh, this album is so enjoyable. once track 4 gets underway, the album just grabs me.

For those of you who were fannies of Midnight Organ Fight and have heard this, do you think I should preorder it or not?

Y/N

P4K are ridiculous, giving this a 6.6 because they're not talking about one night stands and shit. They probably would have blown their top if they didn't change their lyrical content, and now they have, albeit to a minor extent, they're not happy. Damned if do, damned if don't etc.

yeah, another awful review from Pitchfork. that's why i tend not to even read anything from them. i do use them as a tool to find new music, but then make my own opinions.

FWIW, I write for our uni's student magazine, and this is the review I wrote:

Oh, the trouble with music criticism. It’s hard enough releasing an album that the ‘the scene’ will collectively praise. It’s even harder following it up – if it’s not every bit as good, those same critics who built you up as the Next Big Thing will take to your pedestal with sharpened axes and flaming pitchforks (no pun intended).

If that’s the case, then with their latest offering, Frightened Rabbit have consolidated the strength and position of their pedestal, if not added a sturdy 10-metre extension to it. Continuing this tedious metaphor, The Winter of Mixed Drinks is every bit as well-built and durable as The Midnight Organ Fight, the pedestal it sits atop – not in superiority, but in mutual admiration.

Frightened Rabbit are from Scotland, and that’s pretty obvious when you listen to the cracked, trembling vox of frontman Scott Hutchison. Frightened Rabbit are essentially Hutchison’s band – their biggest appeal is not only his frighteningly honest and relatable lyrics, but his scruffy-hearted charm and delivery. Combined with the band’s jangly guitar, and thumping drums from Hutchison’s brother Grant, and you get a band that is deeply, deeply personal, and emotionally comforting.

The Winter of Mixed Drinks is, from the fragility and bitterness of opener ‘Things’ to Hutchison’s tenderness in closer ‘Yes I Would’, a consistently brilliant record. For instance, lead single ‘Swim Until You Can’t See Land’, a pulsating anthem balancing Hutchison’s desire for moving on with his fear of drowning in the past, would not be out of place on either BBC Radio 1, or even the staunchest of ternatives’ Spotify playlist. But further listens will reveal the deep cuts like the epic centerpiece ‘Skip the Youth’ and the glorious self-denial of ‘Not Miserable’ are just as rewarding. Rest assured, Frightened Rabbit’s pedestal will be standing tall, long into the future.

9.3/10.0

You know what, I really didn't care much for Midnight Organ Fight. Probably my loss, but now I'm quite compelled to give it another listen. My hopes were at rock bottom for The Winter of Mixed Drinks when all of the initial reviews came in. I REALLY have wanted to like Frightened Rabbit, I really have. Well, after one listen to WOMD I think I can say that for at least one album I do. Shearwater will have to stand aside, I have a new favorite album for 2010 /wanking

I'm going to use this post as an excuse to rant, and then I have no intention to return to this thread at any point in the future. So yes, this is a drive-by, but I do hope you can forgive that.

I'll preface this by saying that The Modern Leper is one of my favorite songs of the '00s. It has force, grace, passion and an intriguing lyrical metaphor taken to a glorious extreme. It's fucking great music. Sadly, I couldn't get into the rest of Midnight Organ Fight. As a matter of fact, I kind of hated it. There hasn't been a change of heart since: I still feel the album is overly precise, forlorn to a fault and its refusal to stray from the indie sadsack handbook gave it a hermetic quality at times that was in direct contrast to the sort of emotional catharsis they were pushing for.

WOMD though...it's better. It's more unified, a hair more fun (the difference between :'/ and :'| ), the music has greater depth and the hooks are stronger/present. But in spite of the fact that this is obviously a great effort on their part, the "if I'm going to reveal my feelings, I'm only going to do it through over-the-top histrionics and echoing piano chords" genre is wearing VERY thin, and this album absolutely refuses to stray from that. There are SO many albums that attempt the same things, and I actually have personal connections to those records that would make me want to clutch to them in the depressing scenarios that this album was meant to provide the soundtrack to.

Do I like The Winter of Mixed Drinks? No. But I think it's a quality example of a sound I'm beginning to despise. Glad you guys dig it, even if I can't get into it.

Back
Top Bottom