FRIGHTENED RABBIT: The Winter of Mixed Drinks <3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was traveling over the weekend and a friend burned a copy of Winter of Mixed Drinks for me for my return trip home. I immediately loved the first song and proceeded to completely fall in love with this record over the next 8 hours of my road trip home yesterday. Best record of the year so far for me. "Things" and "Footshooter" were favorites from the get go but I actually love every song on it. I ran out and bought the CD today.

Nothing Like You and Living In Colour were my favorites on the first spin.

Sort of a weird record, where part of me is disappointed and the other part really enjoys it. Hopefully I'll be able to like it for what it is on future listens, rather than throw my expectations from the last album on it.

"Things" made me cry on the first listen. The wide open highway through the mountains of West Texas can do weird things to me and music.

I have to go back and listen to The Midnight Organ Fight some more. One of those records I liked but never totally got into for some reason.

I was traveling over the weekend and a friend burned a copy of Winter of Mixed Drinks for me for my return trip home. I immediately loved the first song and proceeded to completely fall in love with this record over the next 8 hours of my road trip home yesterday. Best record of the year so far for me. "Things" and "Footshooter" were favorites from the get go but I actually love every song on it. I ran out and bought the CD today.
You and I should get together some time. :cute:

Hopefully I'll be able to like it for what it is on future listens, rather than throw my expectations from the last album on it.

Mission accomplished, I listened to it today for the first time in a few weeks and loved it. While I still don't really like any of the tracks as much as much as the highlights from the previous album, I like far more tracks than I did on the last one. :up:

Some how I came across Frightened Rabbit playing the first minute or so of Fake Empire in concert on Youtube while looking for Black Lips videos. I then came across them covering Death Cab For Cutie's Different Names For the Same Thing. Both were surprisingly good.

FYI, and stuff.

This album is pretty good. It will probably make my year end list, though most likely won't crack the top 10 when all is said and done. Still an enjoyable listen....especially the first track.

I'm about to give it another spin here after lunch. I still haven't been able to listen to it at home (iow, with both headphones in), so I can't form a 100% accurate opinion, but I *think* I like it a lot.

I bought it on Amazon after only hearing the first few songs on Spotify.

As an FYI, the CD is only $8 on Amazon right now, that's $2 less than the MP3 version.

Just going to move this conversation over to here.

Just finished listening to The Winter of Mixed Drinks. I'll be honest, I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to "Swim Until You Can't See Land" again. There's a few other songs about his depression and everything that are hard, but that one's a little too real now.

Big fan of frightened rabbit and so sad to hear this. Been checking all day if any update about Scott and was so sad to read he was gone.

Poking around on setlist.fm and I find they covered one of my favorite songs ever, once, and it's amazing:

Oh Jesus. I just relistened to Midnight Organ Fight for the first time in probably 8 years. I did not remember that Floating in the Forth existed... Jesus.

With that being said, I like this album a LOT more than I remember. I wouldn't be able to tell you why I hated it now, but I can now safely say I like everything they've ever done.

Back
Top Bottom