Franz Ferdinand - "Lucid Dreams" (new track out now, new album in early 2009)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ohsnap2.gif

I'm listening to this again right now, I think it's my 3rd or 4th listen. It's a really fun record, and I think I might prefer it to You Could Have It So Much Better.

Ulysses -> Turn It On -> No You Girls = great way to kick things off. Those might be my 3 favorite songs on the album this morning. Ulysses was a great choice for lead single and I think either of those other two would be a good pick for the next single.

I don't know who was expecting them to make fantastic leaps. Kapranos even said that they'd always be a band that sounds the same to an extent.

If you just expect some fun songs, like with the first two, you'll be pleased. I am.

I don't expect fantastic leaps, I expect good songs, which this album doesn't have.

No You Girls is just plain awful as well

I think almost all of the songs on the album are good.

I rank all of their albums very similarly, though the first is still my favorite.

Live Alone is already underrated. That and Bite Hard keep my attention following the great start and finish.

Me too. Every time I'm in my car, I hope it comes on the radio. EVERY TIME.

I found a new way.

That synthesizer sound doesn't make me think of typical Franz Ferdinand. It just makes me think, "Wow, Franz Ferdinand found one more instrument they can make really fun to listen to."

I'm not a big fan of "Do You Want To," though, so they're only 2-for-3 on lead singles for me.

OK, it's growing on me.

I love the lyrical themes taken on throughout the album, and the feeling you get of the album coming full circle as Katherine Kiss Me comes to a close. They put some thought into that. I can't really get into Send Him Away or What She Came For, but Twilight Omens and Ulysses are growing on me.

B+/B following an initial B-/B. It's only a subtle improvement on further listens, but it's definitely improving.

OK, it's growing on me.

I love the lyrical themes taken on throughout the album, and the feeling you get of the album coming full circle as Katherine Kiss Me comes to a close. They put some thought into that. I can't really get into Send Him Away or What She Came For, but Twilight Omens and Ulysses are growing on me.

B+/B following an initial B-/B. It's only a subtle improvement on further listens, but it's definitely improving.

It reminds me a lot of what they were trying to do with "Eleanor, Put Your Boots On" off of the last album, but it's more poignant on this go-around.

The opening 3 tracks and closing 3 are fantastic, but the middle's a mixed bag. That being said, I'm glad we got a great album from '09 right off the bat.

I've just listened to the album. It's pretty good but I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy it. I guess Franz Ferdinand just aren't a band whose sound can stay pretty much the same and still keep me interested across several albums, especially when nothing on the new album is as good as their debut. Sometimes, huge early success is a bitch.

Ulysses was a great choice for lead single and I think either of those other two would be a good pick for the next single.

You do know that Franz Ferdinand totally suck because the first single from the album is also the first song on the album. At least, that's the reasoning if done by another band. :wink:

I've just listened to the album. It's pretty good but I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy it.

I wasn't rushing out to buy it either. But when I saw it today and noticed that the limited edition comes with a CD of dub versions, I couldn't resist myself. I hadn't heard a note of it yet, so I'm now on my first listen...

Hmmm... heard it last night.
Nice album... it kinda revitalized the hopes I had for this band. Twilight Omens is beautiful. But it's not a great album. Maybe it's a grower. Let's see.

Btw, Ulysses is kinda weak as a first single.

Hmmm... I don't think so. Twilight Omens would be waaay better imo.

Ooh, I should want this. Just picked up their second album at a sale for $8 (finally!). Anyway I thought 'Lucid Dreams' was a great, catchy song but was somehow less impressed by 'Ulysses'.

Ooh, I should want this. Just picked up their second album at a sale for $8 (finally!). Anyway I thought 'Lucid Dreams' was a great, catchy song but was somehow less impressed by 'Ulysses'.

Lucid Dreams ain't a catchy song no more. :D

Ulysses is weak the first few times, but grows on you. The Pitchfork review pointed this out as well.

I liked the description of No You Girls: like Oh! You Pretty Things, re-recorded for Scary Monsters.

Andyuk won't be too happy about that last sentence.

However, as it turns out, their return is perfectly timed to remind us that, in a world where UK rock is so uninspired the Brits were forced to make superstars out of Kings of Leon, you really can have it so much better.

Back
Top Bottom