Franz Ferdinand - "Lucid Dreams" (new track out now, new album in early 2009)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As always, I'm going to wait and buy it, but I'm interested in hearing what you all think. Impressions please.

Just listened to it and really enjoyed it. I'll have to spin it some more, of course, but so far so good. Some of the standouts on the first listen were Turn It On, What She Came For, and Katherine Kiss Me. It's the last track and is a cool little stripped-down acoustic tune. Unlike anything I've heard by the Franz before.

And I could hook you up with a link if you want, Pfan. Whaddya say? Should I send a PM?

Downloading now. But I'm going to listen to the first two albums again before I dive into the new one. :D

OK, after listening to all three in succession:

Franz Ferdinand - 8/10
You Could Have It So Much Better - 8.5/10
Tonight: Franz Ferdinand - 7.5/10

This new one, well, the last three tracks are extremely promising. The new version of Lucid Dreams is fucking awesome and slays the original. Dream Again is intriguing musically and lyrically, and shows the band moving in an interesting new direction...for one song anyway. Katherine Kiss Me could be fantastic, but its chord progression takes some getting used to, which may sound strange, but trust me, it's a grower.

Elsewhere, the album just sounds like everything else the band has ever made, but with some unusual production quirks. Some tracks were quality, others weren't. There's a whole lot more good than bad, but I wasn't impressed. Let's hope the band tries to challenge themselves more than once or twice with the next record. A reinvention could completely salvage this record in my mind, but, for now, it's held back by the fact that the band can't stop recording the same song over and over, and I'm afraid that they might continue to do the same for years to come. That, to me, is a damn shame.

While I agree that there's not much new here, I still found myself enjoying the album. It adds a cool 80's vibe in places, which I like. I think the first few songs are excellent. I definitely agree about Lucid Dreams - I love it; the synth is fucking fantastic. The final song is also strong, although I don't know what you see in Dream Again. I didn't care for it.

Overall, I'd probably give this an 8 out of 10 after two listens. Time will tell how much that changes.

Lucid Dreams is now 8 minutes long? Holy fuck.

I'm 9 songs in and I'm digging this shit.

I'm going to listen to it again right now and give some more detailed analysis. My previous review was too gloom n' doom to do justice to the music itself.

I didn't think as highly of the last two tracks as you did.

Ulysses fucking kicks my ass everytime I listen to it.

Lucid Dreams needs another few listens to fully appreciate, methinks.

OK, other than What She Came For, which I'm convinced took longer for me to listen to than for them to write, I'm fine with all of the songs now. I still say Lucid Dreams is the highlight, but Ulysses and Turn It On are a great one-two punch to start the album.

2 listens in and i'm fucking loving this. Nothing too adventurous, but there's enough to suggest in songs like Lucid Dreams and a couple others whose names escape me that Franz are stepping out a bit. But even so, why would they want to when they make such perfect pop/dance rock? I can see this album starting many of my nights out in the future.

It's not a tremendous departure, but that's not their style, I suppose. I'm down with it.

It's very Franz-by-the-numbers so far. Which isn't bad. I'm not really digging the synth sounds they're using though.

Cranking the album up as loud as it could go helped a lot. The songs are very danceable and have a certain visceral intensity to them, but the songwriting took a huge step backwards. I think a lot of people will find this album far more "fun" than the first two, but it's definitely my least favorite.

That said, Live Alone is a cracking choon.

This album completely bored me, it's even worse than their last one...taking 3 years to make an album that sounds like it was written in one afternoon is not a good thing. It's like they're just remaking the same songs as before but adding weird synth sounds. This will definitely be the last Franz album I listen to

I don't know who was expecting them to make fantastic leaps. Kapranos even said that they'd always be a band that sounds the same to an extent.

If you just expect some fun songs, like with the first two, you'll be pleased. I am.

This album completely bored me, it's even worse than their last one...taking 3 years to make an album that sounds like it was written in one afternoon is not a good thing. It's like they're just remaking the same songs as before but adding weird synth sounds. This will definitely be the last Franz album I listen to

Not to be rude, but coming from someone who likes ATYCLB better than The Joshua Tree, I guess this is kind of expected. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom