Frank Zappa vs. Scott Walker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LastEdgeOnEarth

The Fly
Zappa vs Scott Walker

Ok, so in a Rush thread that got off topic by yo-yo's, the name Frank Zappa came up as being the GREATEST COMPOSER OF ALL-TIME.

Some said Beethoven and Mozart and while that maybe true, let's stick with pop music.

Not sure if Zappa should be in thos matchup but for the sake of time we'll say he is.

He faces Scott Walker, known as the most influential yet enigmatic rock star ever.

Zappa vs Walker....GO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBMJ79ly3B4

p.s. Thos thread is dsicussing GREATEST COMPOSER....not greatest sports teams or what a FACT is versus an OPINION. Let's talk about music. Not saying don't throw out names you think should be in the dconversation, but don't make this about stupid stuff like who is uglier or what dude has a larger man-loin.

Best composer? I'm surprised that there's even any question--for me, it's easily and by light years Zappa.

I'm not much of a fan of either man's oeuvre, but ol' Frank was and remains a stunningly diverse, multi-talented, and inventive composer. His work with the synclavier alone (Jazz From Hell) could almost seal the deal. Like it or hate it, he covered a lot more stylistic and ideological ground and also had higher highs (1] and hella-lower lows; ...and 2] in my opinion, of course) than Walker has, so far.

Also, he accidentally inspired Sgt. Pepper's, which I figure must say something about the strength of his work. He also wrote, amongst seriously thousands of other things, "Peaches En Regalia," which is very nearly a perfect composition, formally speaking. No contest.

wolfgang-amadeus-mozart.jpg

Do you see the look in his eyes? Do you? He looks pissed... as he should be.

That's Wolfie, btw.

I don't read what people post above me, especially when hilarious pictures of Mozart are involved.

That being said, I'd go with Zappa, but I'd also through in Brian Wilson or Lennon/McCartney or something.

He faces Scott Walker, known as the most influential yet enigmatic rock star ever.

Known by whom? You?

The premise of this thread is just absolutely fucking hilarious...

Everything from how it started to you saying "KNOWN as the most influential" and only putting a video of Walker on not Zappa...

But all hilarity aside, if it came down to Zappa vs Walker.

Zappa by miles.

last edge on earth should not be allowed to make threads.
why's everything a fucking competition? these ridiculous threads make mine look good by comparison.

I like some of Scott Walkers work, I haven't swallowed the Kool-Aid like you but I find some his work really interesting, but I would never mention 'The Cockfighter' as a starting point or anything worth "absolutely genius", it's almost unlistenable.

I think if you really want to turn people on to Scott Walker you may want to rethink your 'I dare you to not think he's a god' attitude.

you may want to rethink your 'I dare you to not think he's a god' attitude.

Responses like this are why I despise this board. I'm a member of other kinds of boards...sports, politics, and the WORST one is this condescending, crass, tactless, u2 board. (of course I get baited into being crass and tactless too when certain posters feel the need to knock down anything I write.)

I don't have an "attitude". Just "enthusiasm".. "Enthusiasm" is the word. Don't mistake my enthusiasm for "attitude". If you can't handle my enthusiasm, then move on to another thread. But don't call me names or accuse of me having an "attitude". Some of you think you "know" people by reading the "tone" in my words. That is not an effective way of deciphering one's intention's or personality. I have a Bachelor's degree in Communications so I've studied non-verbal and written communication in great length. And this message board is plagued with some of the worst communicators I've ever encountered.

Sorry to quote your post and harp. This is pent up frustration toward many poster and mods who "assume" who I am and think I need an "attitude" adjustment. Neither is accurate. I just like talking music, finding new music, and turning people onto new music.

Enthusiasm is awesome, lord knows everyone needs more of that in their lives, but asserting someone or something as the absolute greatest gets tiresome. I know it's all opinion and conjecture and you don't have to preface every statement with "in my opinion," that must is certain.

It just gets tiresome, like others have said earlier, to see SOMEONE vs. SOMEONE ELSE! It isn't conducive to a good conversation apart from trading barbs back in forth or someone acting like a honky fool. That's right, a HONKY. Then again, I'm not a fan of comparing one to someone else as some form of validation for one of the parties... and that's cool if you disagree, but you've gotta see both sides, I think.

That being said, Scott Walker and Zappa love is totally warranted... I think it'd be better to enjoy them separately without a seemingly thrown-together comparison.

Last edited:
last edge on earth should not be allowed to make threads.
why's everything a fucking competition? these ridiculous threads make mine look good by comparison.

:lmao: I never thought you would ever make fun of your own threads!

But I agree. Why should everything be a competition? :doh:

This could be as groundbreaking as Roe v Wade, Brown v The Board of Education, Scorsese v Spielberg...

I don't have an "attitude". Just "enthusiasm".. "Enthusiasm" is the word. Don't mistake my enthusiasm for "attitude". If you can't handle my enthusiasm, then move on to another thread. But don't call me names or accuse of me having an "attitude". Some of you think you "know" people by reading the "tone" in my words. That is not an effective way of deciphering one's intention's or personality. I have a Bachelor's degree in Communications so I've studied non-verbal and written communication in great length. And this message board is plagued with some of the worst communicators I've ever encountered.

Sorry to quote your post and harp. This is pent up frustration toward many poster and mods who "assume" who I am and think I need an "attitude" adjustment. Neither is accurate. I just like talking music, finding new music, and turning people onto new music.

You know what, I can respect that. In fact I can empathize quite a bit, my passion has often been mistaken for other things in here. BUT, my passion has often led me to become condescending and self-righteous at times(right now about 100 people are shaking their heads in agreement). It's a thin line, believe me I know, it's especially difficult in a forum setting when we don't have the luxury of tone...

Take care...

I think you should consider the possibility that your communication skills are also contributing to the misinterpretation of your tone and intent. You yourself admit to being crass and tactless in return - is that effective communication that will most likely turn people on to the subject of your enthusiasm?

I honestly don't mean that as an insult, but as a communications major you surely realize that it is often difficult to impart exactly the intended tone through written words, and often times people may read your words through the filter of a different tone than you intended. Given the number of people who have taken your tone to be a bit over the top and arrogant when it comes to discussing that which you're so enthusiastic about, perhaps there's more to it than just people not "getting" you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not faulting you for your excitement about music, but allowing a little more breathing room for differing opinions might help the threads move into more interesting discussions instead of devolving into snark fests.

I don't know enough about Scott Walker apart from the Walker Brothers years and his first couple of solo albums

All I knew about Scott Walker was that a) he has a very deep voice; b) is considered an underrated brilliant musician; and c) had been in a band in the 60s before striking out to be this deep-voiced underrated brilliant musician.

What was The Walker Brothers' big hit song? I know this information is somewhere in the back of my head, but I am failing to retrieve it.

Was it "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore"? Maybe?

Back
Top Bottom