Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Alright time for a thread. Easily my most anticipated album of the year right now.

Channel-Orange1.jpeg

It's being released digitally in a few hours if I'm not mistaken. Pitchfork just posted it was being released "tonight" about 30 minutes ago - it's 11:30am Tuesday here so assuming they mean Monday night.

1. “Start”
2. “Thinkin’ Bout You”
3. “Fertilizer”
4. “Sierra Leone”
5. “Sweet Life”
6. “Not Just Money”
7. “Super Rich Kids” feat. Earl Sweatshirt
8. “Pilot Jones”
9. “Crack Rock”
10. “Pyramids”
11. “Lost”
12. “White” feat. John Mayer
13. “Monks”
14. “Bad Religion”
15. “Pink Matter” feat. André 3000
16. “Forrest Gump”
17. “End”

About four or five tracks have already been released. I've heard Pyramids and Sweet Life, and both are phenomenally good. For those who didn't hear, he recently opened up about his sexuality, saying his first love was a man.

I'm gonna listen to this motherfucker the second I get home from work.

The song he just did on Fallon was good. Dark and dramatic, with some nicely evocative lyrics. I'll have to listen to this full album at some point.

This is the clip I assume GAF is talking about. Emotional stuff.

Frank Ocean Performs *Bad Religion* Live On Jimmy Fallon 7/9/2012 - YouTube

I just finished the album, and it is glorious. Gets read of the fluff from Nostalgia, Ultra, and ups what I loved about that mixtape. More variety too, it's a bit of a genre-bender, this album. Thinkin Bout You, Sweet Life, Pyramids, Lost are all genuine highlights and I'm sure I don't need to tell you what I thought of the track featuring Andre 3000. Probably the best R&B album I've heard since 8701 (not that I've heard many).

Only going to grow on me with every listen. This could take some beating for AOTY.

His tumblr post was more groundbreaking than this, but it's still an immaculately produced and sequenced record, far more consistent than Nostalgia, Ultra. I think he's earned the hype with this one.

Earl's verse on Super Rich Kids fucking blows though.

I give it about a 7. Like The Weekend, the highlights are far and above almost anything else coming out today but the album has too many obvious R&B numbers that aren't that different from a lot of stuff on the airwaves. Everyone should give it a listen though for the real good stuff on it.

There's an obvious R&B number on House of Balloons? Every damn song is about shooting up with hookers.

Am I reading this correctly that there is someone named "Earl Sweatshirt" who guests on Super Rich Kids? What the hell kind of name is that? Anyway, Ocean has a tremendous voice.

I did enjoy this album. The guy's voice is incredibly smooth in a distinctive way - wish he would use more of that falsetto, though. Loved the track with Andre as well.

Your mate Anthony Fantano was not as impressed.

I'm pretty certain Andre is my favourite rapper every now, if he wasn't already. Everything he touches turns to gold (Idlewild aside).

Like the 100/10 he gave The Money Store.

Man, fuck that album. Hipsters have horrible taste in hip-hop.

iron yuppie said:
:lol: I guess not. Part of what I find interesting about him is that it is nearly impossible to predict what he will like or dislike.

I don't know why I keep watching them. The amount of depth he goes to is unbelievable.

LemonMelon said:
Like the 100/10 he gave The Money Store.

Man, fuck that album. Hipsters have horrible taste in hip-hop.

Yeah, that was pretty awful. Retarded beats and wacky vocals does not a good experimental hip-hop album make.

Man Pyramids is soooo good. That moment where it transitions from acid house to a slow jam is sweet. With the horns in the background and Frank singing "she's headed to the pyramid..."

I just realized this motherfucker is playing Lollapalooza Saturday at the same time as the rather dreary Santigold/Avicii/RHCP trio. Looks like an easy choice for me :dance:

Not sure I'd describe Santigold/Avicii/RHCP as "dreary" but yeah I'd be off to Frank Ocean as well.

The chorus in Sweet Life is incredible.

I'm tempted to dismiss Death Grips as just rap metal for hipsters. But The Money Store is interesting enough to not be awful. Sonically, it's one of the most adventurous things I've heard all year.

AOTY for me. So far. Only Hot Chip and Lotus Plaza really come close. I've listened to it every day since it came out. Can't wait to buy it.

Monks is my favourite today. Such a great rhythm section.

Back
Top Bottom