Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW, I read that Target won't be carrying the CD in protest of the album being released a week early on iTunes.

And then, predictably, there were people wondering if it was because Target hates gay people.

Which is the dumbest shit I've ever heard, because I bought Adam Lambert's latest CD at Target.

Good stuff :up:

What's everyone's favourite tracks? I know most of it pretty well already, which is the sign of a good album I think. Pyramids and Sweet Life are the best two I reckon, and then Thinkin Bout You, Lost, Monks and Pink Matter. John Mayer's White is good too, and he plays on Pyramids as well.

Not a fan of Pyramids. It's fine, but I appreciate it more than I love it.

Crack Rock, Lost and Pink Matter are where it's at.

Twisted Fantasy is on a different plane to Channel Orange. Far more ambitious, creative and hefty, and it clearly WANTED to be an artist-defining classic. It's ostentatious that way. I love Channel Orange as a collection of songs, but I don't get how this album defines our generation or whatever. There's no real pretense for that. Just sounds like critics trying to make something massive out of something modest.

Also, Super Rich Kids sounds a whole lot like Bennie and the Jets to me.

EDIT: Yep, the most liked comment on this one Bennie and the Jets video says the same thing :lol:

And Bennie and the Jets blows it out of the fucking water.

I love this album, and I love the praise it's getting, but it hasn't changed the world, you're right.

iYup I would have agreed with you about MBDTF a year ago, but not anymore. It's phenomenal.

Finally bought the album today. Confessional is in there, plus full lyric booklet.

And I got a review published in the paper!

932d0095.jpg

Damn, Cobbler, I'm envious. Music journalist would probably be my dream job, even though I enjoy what I do now.

I've had a fistful of music reviews in the school paper (Los Campesinos gig, Born To Die, Nine Types of Light), but nothing bigger than that. Still felt good. Congrats, Cobbler.

iron yuppie said:
Damn, Cobbler, I'm envious. Music journalist would probably be my dream job, even though I enjoy what I do now.

Oh I'm a sports journo but we also do lifestyle, so we're encouraged to write 150-word reviews whenever the mood strikes. I'm certainly not a music journo, though I've done a few reviews/interviews.

Nice review cobbler. I'm not a good enough writer to ever do this kind of thing but it would be so awesome to do concert or album reviews.

Once in a while, when a hiphop/R&B album gets a lot of hype, I give it a listen even though it's not my kind of thing. I also did this with The Weeknd and loved it.

So I listened to Channel Orange yesterday and I definitely enjoyed it. Can't say why because I don't know anything about the genre but I liked it. Pyramids stood out to me most. Those synths are so good.

You know, Lolla had its lion's share of highlights, but Frank Ocean's set is probably the one that stuck with me the most. This guy is going to be absolutely massive. His stage presence, charm and modesty was captivating (he hinted at the tumblr post, referring to it as "some things I've said in the past few weeks," resulting in an almost 30 second standing ovation), and the band that he's assembled transforms the limp studio versions of Nostalgia, Ultra tracks into something wonderful. I've always enjoyed but by no means loved Novacane, but it might have been my favorite track of the night. In addition, he's written an entirely new arrangement and chord progression for American Wedding ("I've gotten in some trouble over this one, so I made some changes...I hope you agree with them") that takes the song from a 4/10 to 11. Incredible. His voice is fucking silky live too; he has genuine talent. And, on top of all that, the crowd was highly receptive and knew almost every song.

The setlist doesn't look amazing on paper in light of the great new album he just released, but you had to be there (might be missing a track):

1. By Your Side (Sade cover)
2. Summer Remains
3. Thinkin Bout You
4. Novacane
5. Swim Good
6. Strawberry Swing/Made In America (snippet)
7. American Wedding
8. Monks
9. Crack Rock
10. Bad Religion
11. Pyramids

Something like that, anyway.

The setlist doesn't look amazing on paper in light of the great new album he just released, but you had to be there (might be missing a track):

I've listened to a few of this guy's songs and was pleasantly surprised. He has a great voice. Glad it translated live and that you and Ashley had such a good experience overall at Lolla.

Also, the portion I quoted.....tell that to some of the setlist nazis on this site. Most of the time, yes, you had to fucking be there.

LemonMelon said:
You know, Lolla had its lion's share of highlights, but Frank Ocean's set is probably the one that stuck with me the most. This guy is going to be absolutely massive. His stage presence, charm and modesty was captivating (he hinted at the tumblr post, referring to it as "some things I've said in the past few weeks," resulting in an almost 30 second standing ovation), and the band that he's assembled transforms the limp studio versions of Nostalgia, Ultra tracks into something wonderful. I've always enjoyed but by no means loved Novacane, but it might have been my favorite track of the night. In addition, he's written an entirely new arrangement and chord progression for American Wedding ("I've gotten in some trouble over this one, so I made some changes...I hope you agree with them") that takes the song from a 4/10 to 11. Incredible. His voice is fucking silky live too; he has genuine talent. And, on top of all that, the crowd was highly receptive and knew almost every song.

1. By Your Side (Sade cover)
2. Summer Remains
3. Thinkin Bout You
4. Novacane
5. Swim Good
6. Strawberry Swing/Made In America (snippet)
7. American Wedding
8. Monks
9. Crack Rock
10. Bad Religion
11. Pyramids

Something like that, anyway.

:up: dude is going places.

Love that he's made everyone forget about Odd Future.

So is the Nostalgia mixtape out there for free from his website or something? I'd like to hear it.

I've listened to a few of this guy's songs and was pleasantly surprised. He has a great voice. Glad it translated live and that you and Ashley had such a good experience overall at Lolla.

Also, the portion I quoted.....tell that to some of the setlist nazis on this site. Most of the time, yes, you had to fucking be there.

Thanks, NSW. The last time you made the trip out there, we missed you because you were vomiting somewhere. :(

:up: dude is going places.

Love that he's made everyone forget about Odd Future.

Seriously, if things keep going the way they're going, Odd Future will be that goofy band Frank Ocean came from and little else.

So is the Nostalgia mixtape out there for free from his website or something? I'd like to hear it.

You can download or stream it here:

Download: Frank Ocean - Nostalgia, Ultra Mixtape | The Smoking Section

Back
Top Bottom