For Jesus & Mary Chain fans - Glasvegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not bad. enjoyable enough on one listen, although it's going to suck if that's the best song on the album. i don't really have any expectations whatsoever this band. i really liked the self-titled album. ok, i friggin love that album and still listen to it. and i guess i lucked out, because if they suck live, the show i went to was actually fantastic. but i can see them being very much a one-shot, one-album kind of thing for me. of course, i will be buying this.

Every band on earth wanted to be The Jesus and Mary Chain when Glasvegas came out, so I was so bored by that sound that whatever positive attributes it may have had slipped right past me.

The new song is pretty OK and the market is less saturated, so who knows, maybe this one will be enjoyable for me.

Every band on earth wanted to be The Jesus and Mary Chain when Glasvegas came out, so I was so bored by that sound that whatever positive attributes it may have had slipped right past me.

The new song is pretty OK and the market is less saturated, so who knows, maybe this one will be enjoyable for me.

:scratch: i'm glad i wasn't listening to music then? i don't remember this happening at all.

and i guess i lucked out, because if they suck live, the show i went to was actually fantastic.

I've seen them live a couple of times when they opened for U2 on the 360 Tour. And my eyes still hurt! :no: And musically they sucked too (with a drummer who has even less ability to drum than Bono on the Vertigo Tour, though I've read that they've replaced her. Well, it couldn't get any worse). So you might better save that money and use it for something more deserving.

I've seen them live a couple of times when they opened for U2 on the 360 Tour. And my eyes still hurt! :no: And musically they sucked too (with a drummer who has even less ability to drum than Bono on the Vertigo Tour, though I've read that they've replaced her. Well, it couldn't get any worse). So you might better save that money and use it for something more deserving.

I agree with you here.. I think they suck live.. All their songs sound the same, at lease with the first one.. Have no interest in them.. Even took that album off my iPod.

i saw them in a smaller club in boston and it was a good show. i actually mistakenly bought tickets for that show and the hold steady (i forget where they were playing) on the same night, and i opted with glasvegas because i'd only wanted to see the hold steady as one last-ditch attempt to give them a shot before officially writing them off as something i don't like. it was far from the most amazing, mind-blowing, awesomest show EVAR, but it was good. although i do know what you're saying about the drummer.

:shrug:

I agree with you here.. I think they suck live.. All their songs sound the same, at lease with the first one.. Have no interest in them.. Even took that album off my iPod.

and yet...you're in this thread. puzzling.

:scratch: i'm glad i wasn't listening to music then? i don't remember this happening at all.

Nor do I, but they seem to be used as a comparison quite often. Apparently many people think Jesus and Mary Chain were the only group to ever sound like that. I always like when even dreampop type bands are compared to Jesus and Mary Chain, wtf? I remember when one of the brothers from JaMC was asked what he thought about "the copy cat band, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club", and he pretty much pissed all over the interviewer's comment and said BRMC deserve far more credit than that, and anyone who truly thinks they're copycats is an idiot.

Every live performance I've ever seen on the internet or TV of Glasvegas was great. :shrug:

i'm telling you guys, it was a good show and i was completely sober and not smoking evil hippie shit mofo likes accusing me of smoking. not only did the band sound good (although marty reminded me that the drummer was insanely dull and played the same droning beat throughout every song, however, that's kind of what i thought was supposed to be going on so i didn't really think much of it), but the crowd was into it, the sing-alongs during "daddy's gone" and "go square go" were the exact opposite of what had been bumming me out about shows at the time, and i was pretty happy about that--being a small show they were headlining at the paradise in boston, people were there to see them. actually, there were a bunch of people there to see the openers who eneded up being that band with that "i love you so much better when you're naked song" whose name i can't even remember. now they were terrible.

There's another thread on Glasvegas, actually, but that one's pretty much about how awful they are live. I decided to bump this one instead :lol:

even if i didn't think what i already said in this thread, i'd still question the actual suckiness vs. the contextual appearance of suckiness of a band with one album out in an arena setting, opening for u2 no less, nevermind that these opinions are being expressed here of all places.

Most bands that open for U2 sound awful, regardless of their own level of talent.

Of course, that wouldn't stop me from wanting PJ Harvey over, say, Bush.

I kind of liked the first album. Will check this one out and see if it rises above "kind of liked."

Most bands that open for U2 sound awful, regardless of their own level of talent.

Of course, that wouldn't stop me from wanting PJ Harvey over, say, Bush.

yes, that was my point, along with implying that this place also takes that fact and completely blows it out of proportion.

of course you're going to want to see less-than-awesome-sounding something you like instead of something you'd dislike even if it sounded amazing.

oh and you haven't gone into a thread to say how you didn't care much for the subject? interesting..

in fact maybe I am the first ever to do this? :hmm:

pretty sure it's been years since i've gone into a thread with that blatant and simple purpose. i probably put something about my hatred for the new arcade fire song in the thread for that band, but if it was only hatred it was meant with the preface about actually liking previous efforts and being kind of surprised that i thought it was crap that i just forgot.

fuck yeah!

a CARD cheat!!!!!!!!!

oops, wrong band. i see you and me in the same thread, sometimes i naturally think that means the clash are somehow related.

:wink:

i think a big part of what i like about the self titled album is lyrics. lyrics are always secondary for me, just because that's how i am, despite that i know the words to pretty much every song i really like and am that asshole that's singing along that you drove by on your way to work this morning. why i don't expect much from a follow-up has to do with the fact that the bulk of that album feels like it was written as some kind of excerise a therapist gave whichever brother in the band in order to exorsise a lot of his demons regarding to growing up. probably doesn't help i read some article/review talking about polmont being a shitty place, plenty of violence (gang-related or otherwise, i can't quite remember, although i'd surmise some, yes), not exactly stereotypical mom/dad/2.5 kids/dog family structure, drugs, etc. geraldine is introcuded as a social worker, and musically it's very enjoyable overall. i still stand by my other posts from before in this thread about prefering the old "daddy's gone," and the issue regarding how that was slowed down and a lot of the sound was cleaned up aside, i really like this album. thematically, if i'm remotely right, that's kind of my world. it's something personally i was for most of my childhood only a couple steps away from, and to this day i do a lot of wondering as to where exactly things turned around and i ended up how i am rather than how most of my friends from elementary school/junior high did. as far as my job, it's relevant any time i pick up a DSS kid. last night alone: there was the 23 y/o who got shot (he ended up dying a couple hours after we dropped him off at the ER), the 22 y/o on her 4th pregnancy with the vag bleed, i can't remember what our 3rd call was, and the last being the 10 y/o at the group home for "crazy" kids who was being shipped off for a crisis eval because she threw a temper tantrum. i know i'm easily one of the bigger fans of that album on this board, but a lot of that is the reason why. plus, i'm also just sick of hearing how awful they are live, because in the setting i saw them in, they were excellent. and given how burnt out i was on punk rock shows at the time of that concert, it was exactly what i needed.

pretty sure it's been years since i've gone into a thread with that blatant and simple purpose. i probably put something about my hatred for the new arcade fire song in the thread for that band, but if it was only hatred it was meant with the preface about actually liking previous efforts and being kind of surprised that i thought it was crap that i just forgot.

Whatever dude.. you managed to single me out tho which is interesting.. i wasn't the only one who wasn't digging it.. :huh:

I am done..

Somebody's gonna get stabbed. Hope it's not me

(I Fucking hate that song, but it seemed appropriate)

u2fanaticperson...it wasn't actually you personally, i don't know you from any of the other u2-something-something usernames on here i hardly ever see posting anywhere. it would have been anyone who came in here and said "omg they suck so bad i took them off my ipod because i hated them opening for u2." i'm going to guess by your "location" you frequent the muse thread. i think all their songs sound the same and can't really distinguish most from others, but since i have nothing more to add, i also think you and whoever else likes that band would have every right to tear me a new one if i got in there and said the same thing.

Somebody's gonna get stabbed. Hope it's not me

(I Fucking hate that song, but it seemed appropriate)

i do have a knife...

IWasBored said:
u2fanaticperson...it wasn't actually you personally, i don't know you from any of the other u2-something-something usernames on here i hardly ever see posting anywhere. it would have been anyone who came in here and said "omg they suck so bad i took them off my ipod because i hated them opening for u2." i'm going to guess by your "location" you frequent the muse thread. i think all their songs sound the same and can't really distinguish most from others, but since i have nothing more to add, i also think you and whoever else likes that band would have every right to tear me a new one if i got in there and said the same thing.

i do have a knife...

As I said which u seemed to overlook there were others who said similar things yet u picked on me. I was agreeing with the person who posted and was not in any way directed at you yet here you are.
I took them off my iPod because all the songs sounded the same and I was getting bored and then seeing them live sort of confirmed that in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom