For Jesus & Mary Chain fans - Glasvegas - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:52 AM
not bad. enjoyable enough on one listen, although it's going to suck if that's the best song on the album. i don't really have any expectations whatsoever this band. i really liked the self-titled album. ok, i friggin love that album and still listen to it. and i guess i lucked out, because if they suck live, the show i went to was actually fantastic. but i can see them being very much a one-shot, one-album kind of thing for me. of course, i will be buying this.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #32
The Male

Local Time: 04:52 AM
Every band on earth wanted to be The Jesus and Mary Chain when Glasvegas came out, so I was so bored by that sound that whatever positive attributes it may have had slipped right past me.

The new song is pretty OK and the market is less saturated, so who knows, maybe this one will be enjoyable for me.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Every band on earth wanted to be The Jesus and Mary Chain when Glasvegas came out, so I was so bored by that sound that whatever positive attributes it may have had slipped right past me.

The new song is pretty OK and the market is less saturated, so who knows, maybe this one will be enjoyable for me.
i'm glad i wasn't listening to music then? i don't remember this happening at all.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
and i guess i lucked out, because if they suck live, the show i went to was actually fantastic.
I've seen them live a couple of times when they opened for U2 on the 360 Tour. And my eyes still hurt! And musically they sucked too (with a drummer who has even less ability to drum than Bono on the Vertigo Tour, though I've read that they've replaced her. Well, it couldn't get any worse). So you might better save that money and use it for something more deserving.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
I've seen them live a couple of times when they opened for U2 on the 360 Tour. And my eyes still hurt! And musically they sucked too (with a drummer who has even less ability to drum than Bono on the Vertigo Tour, though I've read that they've replaced her. Well, it couldn't get any worse). So you might better save that money and use it for something more deserving.

I agree with you here.. I think they suck live.. All their songs sound the same, at lease with the first one.. Have no interest in them.. Even took that album off my iPod.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post

i saw them in a smaller club in boston and it was a good show. i actually mistakenly bought tickets for that show and the hold steady (i forget where they were playing) on the same night, and i opted with glasvegas because i'd only wanted to see the hold steady as one last-ditch attempt to give them a shot before officially writing them off as something i don't like. it was far from the most amazing, mind-blowing, awesomest show EVAR, but it was good. although i do know what you're saying about the drummer.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
I agree with you here.. I think they suck live.. All their songs sound the same, at lease with the first one.. Have no interest in them.. Even took that album off my iPod.
and yet...you're in this thread. puzzling.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #38
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 06:52 AM
Quote:
i'm glad i wasn't listening to music then? i don't remember this happening at all.
Nor do I, but they seem to be used as a comparison quite often. Apparently many people think Jesus and Mary Chain were the only group to ever sound like that. I always like when even dreampop type bands are compared to Jesus and Mary Chain, wtf? I remember when one of the brothers from JaMC was asked what he thought about "the copy cat band, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club", and he pretty much pissed all over the interviewer's comment and said BRMC deserve far more credit than that, and anyone who truly thinks they're copycats is an idiot.

Every live performance I've ever seen on the internet or TV of Glasvegas was great.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm telling you guys, it was a good show and i was completely sober and not smoking evil hippie shit mofo likes accusing me of smoking. not only did the band sound good (although marty reminded me that the drummer was insanely dull and played the same droning beat throughout every song, however, that's kind of what i thought was supposed to be going on so i didn't really think much of it), but the crowd was into it, the sing-alongs during "daddy's gone" and "go square go" were the exact opposite of what had been bumming me out about shows at the time, and i was pretty happy about that--being a small show they were headlining at the paradise in boston, people were there to see them. actually, there were a bunch of people there to see the openers who eneded up being that band with that "i love you so much better when you're naked song" whose name i can't even remember. now they were terrible.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #40
Blue Crack Distributor

There's another thread on Glasvegas, actually, but that one's pretty much about how awful they are live. I decided to bump this one instead
Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

even if i didn't think what i already said in this thread, i'd still question the actual suckiness vs. the contextual appearance of suckiness of a band with one album out in an arena setting, opening for u2 no less, nevermind that these opinions are being expressed here of all places.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #42
The Male

Most bands that open for U2 sound awful, regardless of their own level of talent.

Of course, that wouldn't stop me from wanting PJ Harvey over, say, Bush.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

I kind of liked the first album. Will check this one out and see if it rises above "kind of liked."
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Most bands that open for U2 sound awful, regardless of their own level of talent.

Of course, that wouldn't stop me from wanting PJ Harvey over, say, Bush.
yes, that was my point, along with implying that this place also takes that fact and completely blows it out of proportion.

of course you're going to want to see less-than-awesome-sounding something you like instead of something you'd dislike even if it sounded amazing.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
and yet...you're in this thread. puzzling.
oh and you haven't gone into a thread to say how you didn't care much for the subject? interesting..

in fact maybe I am the first ever to do this?

Tags
glasvegas